• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago: 6 Dead, 63 Wounded In Memorial Day Weekend Shootings

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
6 Dead, 63 Wounded In Memorial Day Weekend Shootings In Chicago « CBS Chicago

CHICAGO (CBS) — Six people were killed, including a 15-year-old girl, and at least 63 others were wounded in shootings across Chicago over Memorial Day weekend.

The total number of people shot during the weekend this year surpassed the 2015 holiday, when 55 people were shot, 12 fatally, over Memorial Day weekend.

Those damn police again. Two years in a row.

And in a gun-free zone, too.

The left has no explanation for Chicago.

Chicago and Oak Park's gun laws were deemed unconstitutional in 2010 by McDonald v. Chicago.

We've had 6 years of a pro-gun person's dream.

Chicago and Oak Park's gun laws were deemed unconstitutional in 2010 by McDonald v. Chicago.

How many of the Chicago shootings were done using legal guns that were fired by the licensed owner?

But they are HEAVILY regulated. By that "logic", why aren't people just dropping like flies in Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta?

Hint: The people licensed to carry didn't commit these shootings. Nor were they the people who got shot.

Where liberalism rules, so do massive murder rates and shootings. What a coincidence.

The explanation for Chicago is a socioeconomic one, but no one wants to have that conversation. Always easier to blame the gun, blame the "gun free zone" or whatever else avoids talking about urban decay.

But they are HEAVILY regulated. By that "logic", why aren't people just dropping like flies in Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta?
Where liberalism rules, so does massive murder rates and shootings. What a coincidence.
Hardly. Concealed carry ban - Nope, killed in 2012. Gun registry - Killed.
Ban on gun shops? Officially killed. The only thing that's keeping weapon dealers out of the city are city officials.

And our 'damn police' are on the side of returning to heavy regulation. Less guns in the hands of the public = less officers getting killed on duty.

Hardly. Concealed carry ban - Nope, killed in 2012. Gun registry - Killed.
Ban on gun shops? Officially killed. The only thing that's keeping weapon dealers out of the city are city officials.

And our 'damn police' are on the side of returning to heavy regulation. Less guns in the hands of the public = less officers getting killed on duty.

You think these guns were legally registered? You think any such law would have made a lick of difference here?

LOL

The explanation for Chicago is a socioeconomic one, but no one wants to have that conversation. Always easier to blame the gun, blame the "gun free zone" or whatever else avoids talking about urban decay.

Actually I think it is easier to blame "socioeconomics" than anything else. In reality there are probably a few thousand citizens of Chicago in organized crime who are responsible for the war zone. The vast majority of the people in those poorer neighborhoods are not thugs and do not kill their neighbors. As such, "socioeconomics" is painting with far too broad a brush. Not only that, but there are numerous poor communities outside of big cities that are not subject to this level of weekly carnage.

How do gun laws prevent illegal guns?

Well, that was a silly question. Have you ever tried to buy guns from a nonexistent shop?

'Guns' are not an addictive substance. Drastically reducing the availability of guns drives up prices. Even in the black market. It prices out the common criminal.

Hint: The people licensed to carry didn't commit these shootings. Nor were they the people who got shot.

Where liberalism rules, so do massive murder rates and shootings. What a coincidence.

Risky looking at murder rates and shootings in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Canada, Switzerland, Australia and other comparable places "where liberalism rules."

Well, that was a silly question. Have you ever tried to buy guns from a nonexistent shop?

'Guns' are not an addictive substance. Drastically reducing the availability of guns drives up prices. Even in the black market. It prices out the common criminal.

Do I need to explain the prohibition and marijuana examples to you or can you figure that out for yourself?

When a gang member needs a gun it isn't much different from an addiction. Where there is a need and a prohibition the black market will provide and always has.

Again, do you have any idea how many of those shootings were with legally acquired firearms? I would guess most are illegal, save for any that were used in self defense.

Do I need to explain the prohibition and marijuana examples to you or can you figure that out for yourself?

Yes, you do need to explain that to me. How exactly do you get a "high" from guns?

I understand how addiction works with alcohol and marijuana. However I don't see the parallel between a chemical addiction and guns.

They need to find a way to clean up the gangs. It needs to be an all out war.

But anything except something proven to be effective, like stop and frisk, right?

Yes, you do need to explain that to me. How exactly do you get a "high" from guns?

Power is intoxicating, and murder is the ultimate display of power.

I understand how addiction works with alcohol and marijuana. However I don't see the parallel between a chemical addiction and guns.

Gang power is addictive. Control is addictive. The power gained from a gun over a disarmed population is huge.

Back
Top Bottom