• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chevron deference, which empowers the administrative state, could be overturned

eman623

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This is going to open a can of worms, but it's still needed. Congress has abdicated its duties and taken to writing "No bad things" laws. They craft legislation that says basically, "no bad things will be allowed and the executive branch and regulatory agencies have the authority to insure this".

This leads to an explosion of unelected bureaucrats writing myriads upon myriads of regulations that no one ever votes on and Congress never imagined.

I say it's time for the courts to pull that back and force Congress to do its job. Actually, they tried to do this already but lower courts have not followed the precedents. This may send a clear unequivocal message.

Thoughts?

The people who are so beholden to the idea of a crippled tiny government that cannot do anything would absolutely hate their life in a country where they actually got what they say they want. Big-L Libertarianism, which is just about all right wing, is a childish pipe dream.

Anyway,

You will also note that the GOP could have amended the Administrative Procedure Act, which controls agencies, any time they had the power. They didn't. It could have been altered to work the sort of result sought here.

This is going to open a can of worms, but it's still needed. Congress has abdicated its duties and taken to writing "No bad things" laws. They craft legislation that says basically, "no bad things will be allowed and the executive branch and regulatory agencies have the authority to insure this".

This leads to an explosion of unelected bureaucrats writing myriads upon myriads of regulations that no one ever votes on and Congress never imagined.

I say it's time for the courts to pull that back and force Congress to do its job. Actually, they tried to do this already but lower courts have not followed the precedents. This may send a clear unequivocal message.

Thoughts?

Why would you want the imbeciles in Congress to write specific laws about things they know nothing about?

You will also note that the GOP could have amended the Administrative Procedure Act, which controls agencies, any time they had the power. They didn't. It could have been altered to work the sort of result sought here.
Neither party in Congress wants the job of actually making law. That's why they pass "No bad things" laws in the first place, and let the president and regulatory agencies make the sausage.

The courts may have to step in and force Congress to do its job.

Why would you want the imbeciles in Congress to write specific laws about things they know nothing about?
If they are imbeciles, why should they be making any laws at all?

The answer is that if they write the specific laws, then there's at least some accountability.

Why would you want the unelected bureaucratic imbeciles in the regulatory agencies to have what amounts to unlimited power about things they know nothing about?

If they are imbeciles, why should they be making any laws at all?

The answer is that if they write the specific laws, then there's at least some accountability.
So you expect your elected officials to be experts in all things related to the Executive Branch? What is your rep an expert in?

Why would you want the unelected bureaucratic imbeciles in the regulatory agencies to have what amounts to unlimited power about things they know nothing about?
The regulatory agencies are where the experts work.

Your description requires a source, or an imo.

The regulatory agencies are where the experts work.
There seems very little evidence given the regulations that they've instituted.

Your description requires a source, or an imo.
Different views apparently. From my view it's pretty obvious, your mileage may vary. Fair enough.

Neither party in Congress wants the job of actually making law. That's why they pass "No bad things" laws in the first place, and let the president and regulatory agencies make the sausage.

The courts may have to step in and force Congress to do its job.

And yet the GOP is hoping the court will do what it doesn't want to do. You all complain about abortion being legislated (until it was thrown out) from the bench. Why not this? It'd be a sea change in law, as would Chevron. Which is good and which isn't? The former what you want and the latter what you don't?

I wonder if any of DP's lawyers are in the right legal field to understand exactly what it would mean to rule in the way plaintiffs here want. Everyone else - myself partially included because I do appeals in criminal cases involving indigent defendants - does not understand the full implications (or even probably most of them).

There seems very little evidence given the regulations that they've instituted.

Different views apparently. From my view it's pretty obvious, your mileage may vary. Fair enough.
Your pov is obvious to you. Failing to provide any backup makes your opinion an asshole. Everybody's got one.

The people who are so beholden to the idea of a crippled tiny government that cannot do anything would absolutely hate their life in a country where they actually got what they say they want. Big-L Libertarianism, which is just about all right wing, is a childish pipe dream.

Anyway,

Well they couldn’t because the democrats would never agree to any reform that strips the executive of independent policy power becseue most of their agenda is explicitly anti-democratic and can’t be imposed by congressional elections

Why do you support totalitarian dictatorship?

So you expect your elected officials to be experts in all things related to the Executive Branch? What is your rep an expert in?
They can have hearings where they interview experts while drafting the bill

I don't expect them to be experts. I expect them to find experts to advise them and then decide whether to put those policies into effect.

And yet the GOP is hoping the court will do what it doesn't want to do. You all complain about abortion being legislated (until it was thrown out) from the bench. Why not this? It'd be a sea change in law, as would Chevron. Which is good and which isn't? The former what you want and the latter what you don't?

I wonder if any of DP's lawyers are in the right legal field to understand exactly what it would mean to rule in the way plaintiffs here want. Everyone else - myself partially included because I do appeals in criminal cases involving indigent defendants - does not understand the full implications (or even probably most of them).
I'm aware of the tradeoffs. I literally opened this thread with the sentence: "This is going to open a can of worms, but it's still needed".

Why do you support totalitarian dictatorship?
You obviously do not understand what a totalitarian dictatorship is.
"Totalitarianism is a form of government and a political system that prohibits all opposition parties, outlaws individual and group opposition to the state and its claims, and exercises an extremely high if not complete degree of control and regulation over public and private life."

Thoughts?
Naw, I don't want ground glass in my food or PFAS in my water.

They can have hearings where they interview experts while drafting the bill
They do. Those hearings generally provide direct evidence that a regulatory agency is necessary.

I don't expect them to be experts. I expect them to find experts to advise them and then decide whether to put those policies into effect.
That is what regulatory agencies do.

Back
Top Bottom