• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chernobyl disaster 30 years later

I read a National Geographic article recently that talked about all the diverse animal species that live there now, in healthy balanced populations, within the exclusion zone. They don't seem to be suffering shortened lifespans from the radiation. I thought that was hopeful for the future. It shows what happens to nature when humans are out of the picture -- it thrives.

I read a National Geographic article recently that talked about all the diverse animal species that live there now, in healthy balanced populations, within the exclusion zone. They don't seem to be suffering shortened lifespans from the radiation. I thought that was hopeful for the future. It shows what happens to nature when humans are out of the picture -- it thrives.
There is no data available on the animals' lifespans, to what extent they suffer malfunctions or malforming or what other repercussions from radiation on health they face in the long run.

What is a fact is that populations have become numerous and diverse in the absence of human interference.

6553420.JPG

The massive 50 story tall Duga-3 radar site in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. It is a Soviet Cold War relic for gathering electronic SIGINT.

I climbed the rusty stairs to the top. Terrifying and impressive! Young Ukrainians once used this as a bungy-jump platform.

Back in the Soviet Union day, getting caught anywhere near this behemoth could get you either shot or arrested as a spy.

A few more pics of the abandoned city of Pripyat in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone...

CghFj6DW4AA5dns.jpg

CghFjSdXEAARdmQ.jpg

CghFjuvWwAASgRH.jpg

CghFkBwW8AAvjmR.jpg

Alexievich_Chernobil_5A.jpg

In 1985, Alina Rudya was a newborn baby. Her family lived at Lenin Street 17 Apartment 24 in Prypyat. She and her mother, Marina Rudya, were evacuated after the 26 April 1986 explosion at the nearby Chernobyl nuclear power plant’s reactor No. 4. Her father Konstantine kept working at the plant for 18 months afterwards and made frequent visits there for many years as part of scientific research missions. He died in 2006 at age 47 of radiation-related cancer. Alina grew up with her mother in Kyiv, Ukraine. Mom still lives in Kyiv, photographer Alina now lives in Berlin, Germany.

Using $12,000 raised on Kickstarter, Alina Has fulfilled her dream of publishing a photo-essay book on her hometown that went from 50,000 residents to ghost town overnight. Entitled “Prypyat Mon Amour” the photo-essay was published on 20 April 2016. A few photo's from the publication...

original_new-top.jpg

Photo of Marina Rudya at Lenin Street 17 Apartment 24 when daughter Alina was a baby

original_photo-slider.jpg

Author Alina Rudya sits on the terrace of the abandoned Polissya restaurant in Kyiv
where her parents, Konstantine and Marina Rudya, went on their first date

original_photo-slider.jpg

Marina Rudya, mother of author Alina Rudya, walks on the abandoned Lenin Street
in Prypyat, now overtaken by nature and populated by animals.
This is the cover image of Rudya’s book “Prypyat Mon Amour.”

Back
Top Bottom