• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Cheney shoots a guy

jfuh said:
Exactly, they probably have Gonzales now showing how it's part of the war against terrorism, you know, those damn civil rights lawyers make life hell for Cheny Inc.

It is only a matter of time before the Whitehouse ups the terror level and starts blaming this all on 9-11.

scottyz said:
I question why he didn't report the shooting for hours and then whisked himself out of the state. I'm sure anyone else would be charged with something for doing that.
Charged with what? The man immediately got proper medical care. There was no foul play suspected. The national mainstream media is just pissed because Cheney didn't go to them with the story, but told a local Corpus Cristi (TX) newspaper instead. If it were anyone else pulling that trigger, this would have had a questionable chance of making a footnote in a local newspaper.

Vandeervecken said:
It is only a matter of time before the Whitehouse ups the terror level and starts blaming this all on 9-11.
Lol have you seen my signiture?

Deegan said:
Hmmmm, this warrants a .......................................
OWNED:2wave:
That is just so not cool a picture dude. Please I beg you, tear it down.

jfuh said:
Nope, he got a $7.00 citation for not having the proper hunting stamp (which he already sent a check for).
Imagine if it were anyone else, their a$$ would've been in jail in no time.

You got a link or source for that? The news I just watched, moments ago, said he was issued a warning by Texas State Game Officials. I believe you're confusing them allowing him to send in for the stamp post hunt with them fining him. But, as always, I could be wrong.

And I honestly don't believe they'd incarcerate a first time offender for lack of a game stamp. Texas maybe different, heck what am I saying Texas is different, but here in Oregon you'd have to be a repeat offender to see jail time over something like this. My guess is a first time offender, who's not the VP of the US, would end up paying a fine in the hundreds of dollars.

battleax86 said:
Charged with what? The man immediately got proper medical care. There was no foul play suspected. The national mainstream media is just pissed because Cheney didn't go to them with the story, but told a local Corpus Cristi (TX) newspaper instead. If it were anyone else pulling that trigger, this would have had a questionable chance of making a footnote in a local newspaper.

Negligent discharge of a firearm resulting in injury is a criminal act.

Poaching (shooting game without the proper permits) is a criminal act.

BTW Cheney did not go to a local paper, the ranch owner did.

Pacridge said:
You got a link or source for that? The news I just watched, moments ago, said he was issued a warning by Texas State Game Officials. I believe you're confusing them allowing him to send in for the stamp post hunt with them fining him. But, as always, I could be wrong.
My bad, I was refering to the stamp.

Pacridge said:
And I honestly don't believe they'd incarcerate a first time offender for lack of a game stamp. Texas maybe different, heck what am I saying Texas is different, but here in Oregon you'd have to be a repeat offender to see jail time over something like this. My guess is a first time offender, who's not the VP of the US, would end up paying a fine in the hundreds of dollars.
I doubt they'd prosecute him for anything.

I think Jay Leno said it best: "First it's justifying Torture, then it's domestic spying, so Dick just thought alright so now I can shoot a guy"

Total Neglegence.

Actually, this guy said it pretty well too.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/15/opinion/l15cheney.html
These guys totally think they're above the law.

battleax86 said:
If it were anyone else they would also have been brought to jail for some questioning.

jfuh said:
Lol have you seen my signiture?

That's just plain funny. Was it on tonights show? I Tivo'ed it haven't watched it yet. I love TDS. I know people bit*h about them tearing the right a new one, but I've seen Jon go at the left just as hard at times. You see him do that thing with Cindy Sheehan hugging Chavez?

Pacridge said:
That's just plain funny. Was it on tonights show? I Tivo'ed it haven't watched it yet. I love TDS. I know people bit*h about them tearing the right a new one, but I've seen Jon go at the left just as hard at times. You see him do that thing with Cindy Sheehan hugging Chavez?

Yea... of course most of his jokes are directed at the right, they're the ones in power... although Team Bush is a gold mine for political satire. My guess is if (God forbid) the dems take the White House in '08 Stewart will give them their fair share.

Pacridge said:
Haha, the quote with from the Daily Show with Jon Stuart. The guy is a genius. try dling it 02/13/2006 I couldn't help laughing.
Jon goes after everyone, which is why I think his show is so brilliant.
Speaking of which, did you see the when Jon was a guest on cross-fire? Brilliant.

The Real McCoy said:
Yea... of course most of his jokes are directed at the right, they're the ones in power... although Team Bush is a gold mine for political satire. My guess is if (God forbid) the dems take the White House in '08 Stewart will give them their fair share.
Jay Leno - Senator Clinton asked today why it is they haven't caught that tall guy in Afganistan. Perhaps it's as difficult to catch that fat intern under the desk?

Vandeervecken said:
Negligent discharge of a firearm resulting in injury is a criminal act. Poaching (shooting game without the proper permits) is a criminal act.
Link please

KCConservative said:
Link please

Vandeervecken is about as pro-gun as it comes. I think he would know. :roll:

Vandeervecken said:
Negligent discharge of a firearm resulting in injury is a criminal act.
Only if the injured decides to press charges.

Vandeervecken said:
Poaching (shooting game without the proper permits) is a criminal act.
Yeah, failing to get a proper permit for game shooting is a criminal act on the same level as speeding and parking violations. Cheney will get fined, pay his fine, and move on with more important business.

Vandeervecken said:
BTW Cheney did not go to a local paper, the ranch owner did.
Fair enough. What I want to know is why the hell does it matter? Why did this need to go to anyone in the media? Of all the issues facing our world today, there are better uses of newspaper ink than writing about this.

jfuh said:
If it were anyone else they would also have been brought to jail for some questioning.
No, that wouldn't have happened because both the shooter and the guy who got shot both said it was an accident when they took him to the hospital. The police wouldn't have wasted any time with it.

Look, the only big thing Cheney is guilty of being stupid. You guys act like you expected more. There are plenty of stupid things he has done on purpose so why go after him on an accident that I am sure he feels terrible about? Where's your compassion? It was a freakin' accident! That don't make it alright but there was no intent on Cheney's part to hurt his friend. No human is beyond human error.

Out of all the Cheney bashers here, who can tell me who Chai Vang is? No fair Googling! And you're making a big deal over a stupid, negligent accident.

I think the worst you can say about Cheney is that, he flies to Texas, most likely on taxpayer expense, to hunt a little bird released from a cage as he walks by, with some high-flalutin' lawyer (I'm not really sure the two are actual friends, I dunno. Maybe so. Unless that lawyer ever leads to scandal. Then he will deny ever knowing him.)

Further, you can say that Cheney had no business around people because he was poorly trained in gun and hunting ettiquitte. OR....you can say that the man has been hunting for fourty years and he's simply "losing it." Neither position can be argued with.

But I think dogging him out over this accident for political gain is a measure of desperation. It's just downright petty. It sounds like something Karl Rove would do.

Captain America said:
Look, the only big thing Cheney is guilty of being stupid. You guys act like you expected more. There are plenty of stupid things he has done on purpose so why go after him on an accident that I am sure he feels terrible about? Where's your compassion? It was a freakin' accident! That don't make it alright but there was no intent on Cheney's part to hurt his friend. No human is beyond human error.

Out of all the Cheney bashers here, who can tell me who Chai Vang is? No fair Googling! And you're making a big deal over a stupid, negligent accident.

I think the worst you can say about Cheney is that, he flies to Texas, most likely on taxpayer expense, to hunt a little bird released from a cage as he walks by, with some high-flalutin' lawyer (I'm not really sure the two are actual friends, I dunno. Maybe so. Unless that lawyer ever leads to scandal. Then he will deny ever knowing him.)

Further, you can say that Cheney had no business around people because he was poorly trained in gun and hunting ettiquitte. OR....you can say that the man has been hunting for fourty years and he's simply "losing it." Neither position can be argued with.

But I think dogging him out over this accident for political gain is a measure of desperation. It's just downright petty. It sounds like something Karl Rove would do.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

Why thanky BattleAx.

It ain't easy being me.:applaud

:rantoff:

KCConservative said:
Link please

Crimes - Firearms - Reckless Discharge - Intentional Discharge/Unintentional Target
Instructions - Criminal - Lesser Included Offense - Misdemeanor - Involuntary Manslaughter/Reckless Discharge of Firearm

Any person who, because of carelessness, recklessness or negligence, but not willfully or wantonly, causes or allows any firearm under his immediate control to be discharged so as to kill or injure another is guilty of a misdemeanor. The purposeful discharge of a firearm, with a carelessness, recklessness or negligence which kills or injures another, can constitute the offense of careless discharge of a firearm. In this case, the defendant's conduct could have constituted the careless discharge of a firearm, and thus the trial court improperly refused to instruct the jury on the misdemeanor offense as a lesser offense of the charge of involuntary manslaughter
-----------------------------------------------------
The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife filed charges last week in the December 4, 2001 incident that occurred in Blairstown, Warren County in which a 16-month-old girl was injured by flying glass when a vehicle she was a passenger in was struck by a single buckshot pellet. Three individuals were charged with the following violations: negligent discharge, careless discharge and damage to property. In addition, the violators' hunting privileges were suspended
-------------------------------------------------
Gun Law Articles
------------------------------------------------
Texas Department of Firearms Safety
----------------------------------------------------

battleax86 said:
Only if the injured decides to press charges.

Not in my state. In my state it i an automatic charge, just as attempted murder would be. People cannot choose to let the negligent individual get away with their act. I've yet to see if that is normally the case in Texas.

battleax86 said:
Yeah, failing to get a proper permit for game shooting is a criminal act on the same level as speeding and parking violations. Cheney will get fined, pay his fine, and move on with more important business.

Wrong, poaching is at least a misdemeanor in all 50 states. Speeding and parking violations are civil infractions. Cheney has been let go with nothing but a warning, something that would most assuredly not happen to you or me if we were caught poaching.

battleax86 said:
Fair enough. What I want to know is why the hell does it matter? Why did this need to go to anyone in the media? Of all the issues facing our world today, there are better uses of newspaper ink than writing about this.

Lets see, the VP commits criminal acts while engaged in a deplorable activity. Why should we care? Surely you jest?

The laws that you cited apply to Michigan, New Jersey, and California, not Texas. You did manage to post a link from a Texas law enforcement website, but the page on the other end of the link doesn't list anything about accidental shootings or shooting game out of season.

Vandeervecken said:
Not in my state. In my state it i an automatic charge, just as attempted murder would be. People cannot choose to let the negligent individual get away with their act. I've yet to see if that is normally the case in Texas.
If it were the case in Texas, Ronnie Earle would have gotten him by now. If Cheney had intentionally shot the man or the injured man wanted to press charges, it would be a different story.

Vandeervecken said:
Wrong, poaching is at least a misdemeanor in all 50 states. Speeding and parking violations are civil infractions. Cheney has been let go with nothing but a warning, something that would most assuredly not happen to you or me if we were caught poaching.
Cheney is guilty of shooting legal game out of that particular game's season. That's a different charge than the "poaching" that most people have in mind (i.e., shooting endangered animals). Cheney will get fined, just like anybody else would for a civil infraction.

Vandeervecken said:
Lets see, the VP commits criminal acts while engaged in a deplorable activity. Why should we care? Surely you jest?
It's a f**king accident. The "criminal acts" that you speak of are incredibly minor, do not display any criminal intent, and will be handled with a fine. The crux of the firestorm that has erupted is the fact that Cheney didn't tell anybody in the national media, not about the act itself. Personally, I don't blame Cheney for telling them.

Back
Top Bottom