• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chemical attack on US

Is a chemical attack on the US coming

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Too scary to even think about

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
With all that is going on in Syria I can't help but think at least some of its chemical weapons are going to get in the hands of terrorist and we may soon see an attack on the US that will make 9-11 seem like a minor incident. Scary to think about but I think it's coming.

Why the need to import it from Syria?

It's as easy as C4H8Cl2S...

With all that is going on in Syria I can't help but think at least some of its chemical weapons are going to get in the hands of terrorist and we may soon see an attack on the US that will make 9-11 seem like a minor incident. Scary to think about but I think it's coming.

Future? Perhaps. Imminent? No.

If one can make is stuff in a dirty hut in the ME, I don't see why it can't be anywhere.

With all that is going on in Syria I can't help but think at least some of its chemical weapons are going to get in the hands of terrorist and...

Chemical weapons? Its much easier than that - it's enough to dump 2 pounds of mercury in Hoover Dam and Las Vegas is out of water. I'll stop with the "bad ideas" here.

The U.S. should consider this before pissing off Islamic terrorist. :peace

Given enough time anything is possible, this is not anything different. Should we freak out and chicken little ourselves into even less freedom and liberty than we've done in general over terrorism? No. We're still talking low probability events and even if it were to occur, it wouldn't kill off America. No reason to loose freedom over it.

If it was that easy it would have been done by now. This Syria thing really has my attention though, if terrorist get ahold of their chem arsenal or even a fraction of it we are in deep s***.

and considering we're siding with the terrorists, what does this tell you?

Given enough time anything is possible, this is not anything different. Should we freak out and chicken little ourselves into even less freedom and liberty than we've done in general over terrorism? No. We're still talking low probability events and even if it were to occur, it wouldn't kill off America. No reason to loose freedom over it.

Question of the poll is not should we freak out, more like should we expect and be ready for it. Maybe familiarize ourselves with what exactly terrorist are likely to get and figure ways to detect it and treat victims of it if God forbid it happens.

Question of the poll is not should we freak out, more like should we expect and be ready for it. Maybe familiarize ourselves with what exactly terrorist are likely to get and figure ways to detect it and treat victims of it if God forbid it happens.

We already have all sorts of things like that. I wouldn't think they'd try to transport chemical weapons into the US, it would more reasonably have to be built here. And then the NSA is spying on everyone and their dog, so I think we got bases covered. The probability of chemical attack is not significantly higher than it was 20 years ago, were you running around then trying to "figure this out"? If not, then yes you are playing into the hysteria.

I think police databases keep a pretty good accounting of the chemicals needed for chemical weapons. Just a guess. Same with explosives components. On the other hand a little gas is legal in Texas and nicknamed "pollution."

Use of a chemical, nuclear or and other WMD form is possible given that a suicide delivery system is so popular in the Jihad. Many, including myself, worry about Iran, or other radical moron led countries. e.g. North Korea, getting advanced weapons since they may easily be said to get "lost" or "stolen" by terrorists allowing the nation giving them away is not likely to be held accountable in the least.

The latest "war on terror" was sparked by 19 morons from Saudi Aradia, Egypt and Yemen that managed to drive our commercial aircraft into our buildings yet our military response was directed largely at the poor slobs that happened to remain in Afghanistan (not "home" to the leadership or a even major Al Qaeda funding source). The Taliban are, no doubt, some "bad" (and backward) folks but posed no real threat to the U.S. directly. If our strategy is to now zap the 'bad guys" in nations that simply did not oust terrorists (possibly not even known to their gov'ts) that did nothing to gain attention in their "host" counties then we are in for a very, very long war.

Syria is indeed a possible source of terrorist weapons (and personnel) but so are many other nations. We must decide if we, as a nation, are willing to fight the Jihad against all participating nations or just keep trying to act as a world police force minus a court system.

Chemical weapons? Its much easier than that - it's enough to dump 2 pounds of mercury in Hoover Dam and Las Vegas is out of water. I'll stop with the "bad ideas" here.

The U.S. should consider this before pissing off Islamic terrorist. :peace

LOL - we've been engaged in combat and at odds with the Middle East for - how long? 12 years or decades? And you think that "play nice and get along" is going to be possible?

We can be just as brutish if we want - and some people would argue we already are . . . so fire with fire, I suppose.

If you play nice because you fear the terrorists then you've made their mission quite successful.

LOL - we've been engaged in combat and at odds with the Middle East for - how long? 12 years or decades? And you think that "play nice and get along" is going to be possible?

We can be just as brutish if we want - and some people would argue we already are . . . so fire with fire, I suppose.

If you play nice because you fear the terrorists then you've made their mission quite successful.

Every action has counteraction, aunty. :)
I say, don't pull devil's tail. :peace

For some odd reason, most (if not all) documented chemical weapon attacks were conducted on their own soil... Saddam's attacks in Iraq, a radical Japanese hate group in Tokyo, Assad's attacks in Syria... we'd probably be more at risk of a chemical attack by domestic terrorists, although dispersal of chemical weapons has proven problematic and complex.

Terrorists seem to favor things that go boom. Bombs are much easier to make, hide and detonate. I'm not overly worried about a massive chemical weapons attack in the US. I'm more concerned about the next explosion set off by a nutjob with a dog-eared copy of Anarchists' Cookbook.

On another note, I was danged impressed by the Syrian shop owner who figured out on the fly how to construct an effective gas mask out of a plastic cup, string, charcoal and gauze. Kudos for Macgyvering under fire!! :thumbs:

If a terrorist led chemical weapon attack was easy it would have been done by now. It isn't easy. Aum Shinrikyo tried and they managed to kill only 13 people seriously injure 50 others after releasing sarin in 5 enclosed space (subway stations).

I worry much more about our reaction to terrorism than I do about terrorist attacks

The only chemical attack I can foresee happening is our liberal government unloading the chemicals on the "fly over states".

I think Syria has it's own problems right now, but I'm sure eventually we will have some kind of biological weapons attack here on US soil.

I'm not personally any more worried about a serious CBR attack on the United States today than I was two, three or eight years ago. Sure it could happen, but technically speaking we are more likely to die while driving to the grocery store.

On a scarier note, I'd say that we are also more likely to die from a natural gas explosion. I've always hated knowing that those pipes run under my house.

On another note, I was danged impressed by the Syrian shop owner who figured out on the fly how to construct an effective gas mask out of a plastic cup, string, charcoal and gauze. Kudos for Macgyvering under fire!! :thumbs:

I haven't seen/ read about that yet. . . very impressive indeed. I'd bet that most people equipped with actual gas masks don't know how to properly use them, but that guy went and made his own.

Nice.

Back
Top Bottom