• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cheers, Chicago! You're home to the most breweries in the U.S.

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-food-chicago-most-breweries-in-us-20181210-story,amp.html just one more reason why my town rules.
The metro region has surged past several longtime stalwarts to become home to more breweries than any other city in the nation — 167 — according to statistics published this week by the Brewers Association.
He counted breweries in metro areas as defined by the Census Bureau, which for Chicago extends from Northwest Indiana to Aurora, and Joliet to the Wisconsin border.

It’s a broad area with a large, progressive population, plenty of affordable real estate and a fair bit of disposable income. So in a sense, Chicago’s rise should be no surprise.

Yeah, and we have the weather... ;)(I'm just yanking your chain)--born and raised in Chicago.
I now live in the SD area of CA.

As of July 22, 2018, San Diego County is home to 157 breweries, 35 tasting rooms and 14 brewpubs, for a grand total of 206 beer locations, 185 of which are San Diego craft beer. (There are 7 San Diego non-craft locations and 14 non-San Diego craft locations.)

https://craftbeerinsandiego.com/blog/2018/6/28/how-many-breweries-in-san-diego-july-2018-update

We’re still ahead by a few breweries ;)

Yep, but you're a lot bigger than SD. I will always love Chicago, the people, the culture, everything I love and still miss... it's the weather I can't handle.

You also have better food with the exception of Mexican food.
Nobody does Mexican food better than San Diego.
The only pizza place I will eat in is Rosati's, a chain outfit from the Chicago area. They bring all their ingredients in from Chicago; dough, sausage, cheese.
The rest of it is inedible. I am so picky when it comes to eating out though...

A good number of the Chicago micro-breweries are located on Goose Island in the Chicago River.

You could easily spend a whole day there visiting and ..... tasting :mrgreen:

Chicago is a great city. I've always liked Chicago for many reasons, excluding the hawk whipping off the lake onto the loop in the winter. That brings tears to your eyes and then the tears freeze. LOL That is freaking cold. But for every other reason Chicago is a warm city. Great hospitality, so many fantastic places to eat, good beer.

Early career I was offered a promotion and a move to the company HQ in Chicago. As luck would have it the offer was made in the winter. My wife was supportive and ready to move. I flew up to talk to people and finalize everything. Froze my Georgia butt off. God was it cold! I turned down the job and they were kind enough to let me. It was the weather that made my decision for me.

I always looked forward going to Chicago, still do, even when it is c-c-c-c-cold. I always enjoy Chicago. I'm not surprised that there are more breweries there than any city in the US. Good on Chicago.

A good number of the Chicago micro-breweries are located on Goose Island in the Chicago River.

Agreed ! If you’re ever up this way, I highly recommend Spiteful brewery company. Their tap room is great, it’s an old garage that they converted into a dog friendly lounge. Spiteful Brewing 636224E6-31CA-4E91-94FF-F8EEC2836ACA.jpg5E92706B-836E-4B1A-A89A-327DB94467BE.jpg583636B9-B588-46D2-9086-CF3F91433B1D.jpg And right around the corner is Hells half acre. :)

Last edited:

Watched a special on the city a few decades back, 5 x 1 or 2 hr specials (think it was A&E). From early settlement, cattle industry, IIRC invented freezer cars, rail to send beef east, reversing the river to flow south into the Mississippi, to jacking up entire building 30-35 feet all while people worked inside.
Found it
PBS American Experience: Chicago - City of the Century

https://www.google.com/search?clien...s-wiz.......0i71j0i8i7i30j0i13i30.6bkoc7xouZA

Last edited:

That's not a bad beer (the wheat), for grocery store available. Never noticed they're Chicago.

We have a few good ones in S. Florida. Funky Buddha is popular.

Watched a special on the city a few decades back, 5 x 1 or 2 hr specials (think it was A&E). From early settlement, cattle industry, IIRC invented freezer cars, rail to send beef east, reversing the river to flow south into the Mississippi, to jacking up entire building 30-35 feet all while people worked inside.
Found it
PBS American Experience: Chicago - City of the Century

https://www.google.com/search?clien...s-wiz.......0i71j0i8i7i30j0i13i30.6bkoc7xouZA
thanks for sharing this!

That's not a bad beer (the wheat), for grocery store available. Never noticed they're Chicago.

We have a few good ones in S. Florida. Funky Buddha is popular.
I’ve had funky Buddha it’s really good! Just the availability of American beer options now is so much better than it was in say the mid 90s.

I’ve had funky Buddha it’s really good! Just the availability of American beer options now is so much better than it was in say the mid 90s.

The beer revolution in America was swift and all-encompassing (well, except for the four-pack and a sack guys). Europe can no longer talk crap. Circa 2000, one could find me, fresh returned from abroad, wailing in lamentations about American beer. Not today.

Last edited:
Beer has gone all ‘wine country.’ This one pairs with this entree and this one is good with desert........

Imo, there are way too many choices. I can’t imagine trying to break out of the pack if you had a ‘new’ product. There are even special glasses designed so the beer can ‘breathe.’ Please.......

I used to drink a lot of beer; 20’s-30’s at least six on weekdays. As. I have gotten older, 2-3 a day is all I can take. If that. That’s why they invented bourbon!

Yeah, I'm getting ready to meet a couple of old friends for a beer; wearing t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip-flops; bet they can't do that in Chicago.

Some do at the first sign of spring when it's about 60 degrees. Ever watch a Cubs game at Wrigley Field in early March? The problem is that it can go from 60 to 35 degrees in an hour. Burrrrrrrr :shock:

Chicago is a great city. I've always liked Chicago for many reasons, excluding the hawk whipping off the lake onto the loop in the winter. That brings tears to your eyes and then the tears freeze. LOL That is freaking cold. But for every other reason Chicago is a warm city. Great hospitality, so many fantastic places to eat, good beer.

Early career I was offered a promotion and a move to the company HQ in Chicago. As luck would have it the offer was made in the winter. My wife was supportive and ready to move. I flew up to talk to people and finalize everything. Froze my Georgia butt off. God was it cold! I turned down the job and they were kind enough to let me. It was the weather that made my decision for me.

I always looked forward going to Chicago, still do, even when it is c-c-c-c-cold. I always enjoy Chicago. I'm not surprised that there are more breweries there than any city in the US. Good on Chicago.

That was a wise decision.
We left Chicago for San Diego when my husband's career was really taking off, and the primary factor for us was leaving the bitter cold behind.
I'm proud to be from Chicago though... Other than the inclement weather, it has everything. Great sports town too.

Once I had the opportunity to eat at a Weber Grill restaurant in Chicago. It knocked me out. They cook their food on Weber Grills. It was awesome to see and the food was excellent. Who knew? Only in the Chicago area.

I am proud to say that I have eaten in the original Blackhawk restaurant on Wabash. The experience was a remarkable as the food.

That was a wise decision.
We left Chicago for San Diego when my husband's career was really taking off, and the primary factor for us was leaving the bitter cold behind.
I'm proud to be from Chicago though... Other than the inclement weather, it has everything. Great sports town too.

Funny thing is that I live in Phoenix now and people who don't live here often remark about the weather. I guess I am a warm/hot weather guy. We love the desert and there is so much here to see and do. At times though I am reminded of weather being the first thought in everyone's mind when they think about Arizona. Same same Chicago. Sad that as Chicago is such a fantastic place for so many reasons.

I know people who love the seasons in Chicago, even the winters. I love the relative lack of seasons in desert. To each his or her own. Many of us, I suppose, are fortunate to live where we are happiest.

Funny thing is that I live in Phoenix now and people who don't live here often remark about the weather. I guess I am a warm/hot weather guy. We love the desert and there is so much here to see and do. At times though I am reminded of weather being the first thought in everyone's mind when they think about Arizona. Same same Chicago. Sad that as Chicago is such a fantastic place for so many reasons.

I know people who love the seasons in Chicago, even the winters. I love the relative lack of seasons in desert. To each his or her own. Many of us, I suppose, are fortunate to live where we are happiest.

Isn't that the truth?

Dry heat is way more comfortable than humid hot Chicago in the summer.
Actually fall and spring were my favorite seasons while living in Chicago for over thirty years but both seasons are just way too short. Winter dominates.
I like Phoenix, and you're right about there being great restaurants and lots to do there. Plus, you can always come to San Diego to take a break from the heat. The 5-6 hour drive isn't bad nor is the hour flight.

Isn't that the truth?

Dry heat is way more comfortable than humid hot Chicago in the summer.
Actually fall and spring were my favorite seasons while living in Chicago for over thirty years but both seasons are just way too short. Winter dominates.
I like Phoenix, and you're right about there being great restaurants and lots to do there. Plus, you can always come to San Diego to take a break from the heat. The 5-6 hour drive isn't bad nor is the hour flight.

We do. San Diego isn't far away and we do drive over for a long weekend and we always enjoy it. By late August or early September when we are feckin sick of hot we fly north, Oregon, Seattle, Denver, Canada. All are close by air and most are usually inexpensive.

I'm good up to 108 degrees. At that point I start looking at the daily temperatures in Victoria, BC and Seattle.

This thread is proof that beer is the one thing that can bind the left and right.

This thread is proof that beer is the one thing that can bind the left and right.

Only in sufficient quantities.......one or two won’t cut it! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom