• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Checks sent to border wall GoFundMe will be picked up in Colorado town by unnamed ‘business associat

I have only recently heard of GFM. How do they pay the expenses?

Returning 16 million to approx 300K individual donors seem a Herculean task.......

They charge 2.9% plus a 30cent per transaction fee.

........and Santa Claus will make everyone’s wishes come true overnight.........

I see something like volunteering your own time w/o pay for something you believe in is a concept beyond comprehension to someone such as you.

Sorry to burst the bubbles of the thread's Doubting Thomases...
Sorry to burst your own bubble, but it requires an act of Congress in order for the federal government to accept donations for a specific purpose.

Anyone can donate freely to the federal government, but that is treated as general revenues, i.e. the government can spend those donations on whatever it wants. The funds cannot be earmarked for a specific policy or department, unless Congress ratifies it by law. (That's what they did with the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, and the Washington Monument restoration project.)

Oh, and it would probably cost around $70 billion to fund a real wall. So... Good luck with that.

Come guys be nice. This is all Trump will have access to when he flees to Russia for asylum!

Sorry to burst your own bubble, but it requires an act of Congress in order for the federal government to accept donations for a specific purpose.

Anyone can donate freely to the federal government, but that is treated as general revenues, i.e. the government can spend those donations on whatever it wants. The funds cannot be earmarked for a specific policy or department, unless Congress ratifies it by law. (That's what they did with the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, and the Washington Monument restoration project.)

Oh, and it would probably cost around $70 billion to fund a real wall. So... Good luck with that.

This is exactly what I was coming here to post.

These idiots can donate all they want, but it's ultimately up to Congress as to where it's spent, as it generally goes into a "Gifts to the United States" fund, and is for "use by the general government." I can promise it will not go to building a wall. :lol:

Dumb asses. :lol:

All that talk by Trump haters about how Trump was wrong to make fun of a gold star vet and McCain for being a POW and yet when it comes to a vet that is a triple amputee trying to help get funding for something that they are against and he's a "scam artist". #resistatanycost amiright?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12...usiness-associates-of-florida-fundraiser/amp/ So what I want to know is when this guy and the money drop off the radar, do the duped have any recourse to get their dollars back? I actually applaud this guy for coming up with a scam to relieve a bunch of fools of their money by perfectly playing into their emotions.

Not my worry. Of course one could argue that local soup kitchens or animal shelters could have benefited, but who am I to say what people can or cannot do with their money?

If it comes to refunds what happens to the 2.9% and .30?

Good question. I wouldn’t be surprised if that isn’t refundable. Or at least the 30cent/transaction part probably isn’t.

Good question. I wouldn’t be surprised if that isn’t refundable. Or at least the 30cent/transaction part probably isn’t.

If I follow you, this is a windfall both financially and in name recognition for GFM!

At the very bottom of the page, it states that “if anything goes wrong the money will be returned.” Can you imagine the logistical nightmare that would be?

https://ca.gofundme.com/TheTrumpWall

Meanwhile, the money earns interest, and who gets to keep that?

Nice scam if you can pull it off. Wish I'd thought of it first.

These idiots can donate all they want, but it's ultimately up to Congress as to where it's spent, as it generally goes into a "Gifts to the United States" fund, and is for "use by the general government." I can promise it will not go to building a wall.
I was thinking more along the lines of, "the fundraisers don't know what they are doing." This is evident by the issues mentioned in the OP, and is not relieved by their apparent lack of knowledge of how to actually make this donation work.

As to those donating, I prefer Richard Thaler's attitude: "People Aren’t Dumb. The World Is Hard." The donors want a simple solution to an incredibly complex problem, and are driven more by emotion than reason. What is unfortunate is that demagogues like Trump wind up exploiting this impulse. C'est la guerre.

Why are the anti-Trumpers so afraid that the wall might get built?

Geez, what a petty little baby in the white house. Watching him swirl down the drain is fascinating.

I don’t know why Trump just doesn’t say ****-it and go to Florida. He cannot be worried about public opinion any longer.....

I was thinking more along the lines of, "the fundraisers don't know what they are doing." This is evident by the issues mentioned in the OP, and is not relieved by their apparent lack of knowledge of how to actually make this donation work.

As to those donating, I prefer Richard Thaler's attitude: "People Aren’t Dumb. The World Is Hard." The donors want a simple solution to an incredibly complex problem, and are driven more by emotion than reason. What is unfortunate is that demagogues like Trump wind up exploiting this impulse. C'est la guerre.

Well said. And yes, Trump will always be there to exploit any weaknesses - even weaknesses based on emotion.

Back
Top Bottom