• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Check out these Thorn Bugs.

countryboy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I was "taking care of some business" the other morning out behind the house, and I noticed some of the thorns on this Hawthorn sapling had legs. :shock: Tried to touch one, it jumped and actually felt like it poked my finger a little, lol. :D

Attachments

• 20160808_095856_600x338.jpg
    20160808_095856_600x338.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 74
  • thorn bug crop 2_600x584.jpg
    thorn bug crop 2_600x584.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 73
  • thorn bug crop_600x726.jpg
    thorn bug crop_600x726.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 73
I was "taking care of some business" the other morning out behind the house, and I noticed some of the thorns on this Hawthorn sapling had legs. :shock: Tried to touch one, it jumped and actually felt like it poked my finger a little, lol. :D

Freaky lookin'.

Freaky lookin'.

Yeah they are. They look totally alien. Maybe they are extraterrestrials here to take over the world. :shock:

On a side note, my new phone takes pretty good pics. :D

Was there a series on television about them? The Thornbugs?

I have to say, I'm liking those things. What State? Probably never noticed em on the roses here.

I have to say, I'm liking those things. What State? Probably never noticed em on the roses here.

Ohio. I've lived in this rural part of the state for eighteen years, and this is the first time I've noticed them.

You were "taking care of business" behind your house. You don't have indoor plumbing?

Kudos to TheGoverness and Humbolt for being amazingly brave enough to give a general location. You guys should be proud of yourselves.

You were "taking care of business" behind your house. You don't have indoor plumbing?

Kudos to TheGoverness and Humbolt for being amazingly brave enough to give a general location. You guys should be proud of yourselves.

We have one bathroom, it was occupied. Fringe benefit of not having close neighbors. "Behind my house" is the woods. But point taken, probably a bit TMI. :mrgreen:

OMG, aren't they awesome? I've never seen anything like them in my neck of the woods... not that I'd have been astute enough to notice if there was. Incredible camouflage!

OMG, aren't they awesome? I've never seen anything like them in my neck of the woods... not that I'd have been astute enough to notice if there was. Incredible camouflage!

Aren't they? Definitely one of the more unusual bugs I've seen.

I have tons of bug pics, I'm fascinated by the creatures. I post them occasionally here on DP, but there's usually not much interest. :shrug:

genius. bugs that have perfect camouflage are awesome.

Have to say I love their little hands/feet - three little fingers or toes for gripping the branch - very cool.

Aren't they? Definitely one of the more unusual bugs I've seen.

I have tons of bug pics, I'm fascinated by the creatures. I post them occasionally here on DP, but there's usually not much interest. :shrug:

I actually do like bugs... roaches and ants excepted, lol. My favorite is the preying mantis. Lord, they are adorable, and in my experience they are people-friendly. When we were building our home, there was a pair of them... fairly large, about 3 inches high... that sat on our shoulders and would move to a finger like a trained bird. The variety of bugs on this planet is phenomenal. I'm always excited to see a bizarre new bug I've never seen before.

Cool.

Back
Top Bottom