• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Check out the spin on this story...

Sig

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Three black kids beat the hell out of a white kid on a Florida school bus, break his arm, rob him, and CNN spins the whole story as an apology for the bus driver.

Driver says he did all he could during Florida school bus beating - CNN.com

Never mind the appalling sociopathic behavior of the black kids on the bus, nor the fact that the black bus driver stood by and watched as the three black kids pummeled a white kid half to death, the real story, at least for CNN, is the school's policy in reference to bus drivers physically intervening in such situations, and why this particular bus driver should not held accountable for his disgusting sin of omission. I wonder how CNN would have presented the story had the races been reversed? I wonder if they would have gone to such pains to edit out a clear view of the race of the victim? I wonder if they would not have demonized the bus driver as a blatant racist deserving of all social contempt and criminal prosecution?

Three black kids beat the hell out of a white kid on a Florida school bus, break his arm, rob him, and CNN spins the whole story as an apology for the bus driver.

Driver says he did all he could during Florida school bus beating - CNN.com

Never mind the appalling sociopathic behavior of the black kids on the bus, nor the fact that the black bus driver stood by and watched as the three black kids pummeled a white kid half to death, the real story, at least for CNN, is the school's policy in reference to bus drivers physically intervening in such situations, and why this particular bus driver should not held accountable for his disgusting sin of omission. I wonder how CNN would have presented the story had the races been reversed? I wonder if they would have gone to such pains to edit out a clear view of the race of the victim? I wonder if they would not have demonized the bus driver as a blatant racist deserving of all social contempt and criminal prosecution?
So let me see if I have this right...

Simply reporting the truth is now spin? Apparently the "spin" is reporting news without any spin at all. Interesting logic...

So let me see if I have this right...

Simply reporting the truth is now spin? Apparently the "spin" is reporting news without any spin at all. Interesting logic...

You don't have it right.

Go back and re-read the CNN article and see if you can recognize the spin. If it will help you at all, imagine if the bus driver had been George Zimmerman and the kids doing the beating were white and the kid getting pummeled was black.

You don't have it right.

Go back and re-read the CNN article and see if you can recognize the spin. If it will help you at all, imagine if the bus driver had been George Zimmerman and the kids doing the beating were white and the kid getting pummeled was black.

No, you don't seem to get it. You're upset because CNN DIDN'T put a spin on it. They simply reported what happened. You're trying to to turn a terrible situation into a racial one and you seem to think that CNN simply reporting what happened is spin. Think about how silly that is.

No, you don't seem to get it. You're upset because CNN DIDN'T put a spin on it. They simply reported what happened. You're trying to to turn a terrible situation into a racial one and you seem to think that CNN simply reporting what happened is spin. Think about how silly that is.

No, you are not getting it. I am citing racial bias in news reporting. Do you really believe that, had the racial composition been reversed in this incident, that CNN would have presented the story in the same exact way?

BTW: They did NOT "simply report what happened." They reported a story about how bus drivers in Florida are prohibited according to school policy from breaking up physical altercations between students on their bus. The REAL STORY is that these three blacks kids beat a white kid half to death for reporting on them for selling drugs.

Last edited:
No, you are not getting it. I am citing racial bias in news reporting. Do you really believe that, had the racial composition been reversed in this incident, that CNN would have presented the story in the same exact way?

I don't see the racial bias. I also didn't see the article as being particularly favorable to the driver. He comes off like a huge whiney, wuss.

Your argument doesn't make ANY sense at all. You're asking me to provide conjecture on something that didn't happen, and from that conjecture, try to make the argument CNN is spinning this story. That is beyond absurd.

There is no spin here.

Your argument doesn't make ANY sense at all. You're asking me to provide conjecture on something that didn't happen, and from that conjecture, try to make the argument CNN is spinning this story. That is beyond absurd.

There is no spin here.

Perhaps it is your head that is spinning? ... or perhaps, you're just not very perceptive. I can't fix that.

Nevertheless, I'll give it one more try. This time answer the question:

Do you really believe that, had the racial composition been reversed in this incident, that CNN would have presented the story in the same exact way?

Driver says he did all he could during Florida school bus beating - CNN.comi

Apparently, the three 15 year old boys jumped the other boy because he reported one of the kids to school authorities--the kid was trying to sell drugs. Nothing racial about it...The bus driver, however, was a coward--just like that pitiful white school bus monitor, a year or so ago, who allowed those children to torment her....

Apparently, the three 15 year old boys jumped the other boy because he reported one of the kids to school authorities--the kid was trying to sell drugs. Nothing racial about it...

Oh, well then, no big deal.

Apparently, the three 15 year old boys jumped the other boy because he reported one of the kids to school authorities--the kid was trying to sell drugs. Nothing racial about it...The bus driver, however, was a coward--just like that pitiful white school bus monitor, a year or so ago, who allowed those children to torment her....

What is racial is the way that the story was presented, the spin that CNN gave the story, which they surely would not have given it had the racial composition been reversed.

Perhaps it is your head that is spinning?
It is...I'm wondering how in the hell people can call simply reporting the facts spin, based on conjecture of what might have been spun if the races were reversed. That is beyond ridiculous.

or perhaps, you're just not very perceptive. I can't fix that.
The problem here isn't with me, it's with your racist attitudes. I understand what you're trying to say, but it's beyond stupid. Simply reporting the facts is not spin. What you want CNN to do WOULD be spin.

Do you really believe that, had the racial composition been reversed in this incident, that CNN would have presented the story in the same exact way?
And I'm telling you it doesn't matter one damn bit how CNN would have presented any other story, we're talking about THIS story, and this story simply reported what happened. It is asinine to claim CNN is spinning a story simply by relating the facts of what happened, because you believe they would have spun the story differently if the races were switched. There is no spin to this story. And quite frankly, the fact you think not reporting this story in a racially charged way is spin is simply bewildering to me.

However, I WILL answer your question like this. If the races WERE reversed and CNN DID spin it as a racial thing, my guess is you'd be one of the first to stand up and criticize CNN for making it a racial story. In other words, I'm detecting a hint of racism in your attitude in this thread. I cannot call you a racist, I don't know you well enough, but your attitude about this story suggests it to me.
What is racial is the way that the story was presented, the spin that CNN gave the story, which they surely would not have given it had the racial composition been reversed.
Congratulations, you may have posted the single most asinine post in the history of the Internets.

Not mentioning race is spinning a story which isn't about race. Unbelievable.

Maybe. But in my opinion this is the way the story should be presented. If the races had been reversed and they reported the story differently then they may be in the wrong.

So, I'm a school bus driver who has reached retirement at the lovely age of 64, when men are fearful for being needed or feeded.

3 hoodlums beat the **** out another kid. Like I'm going to be stupid enough to get my ass beat if things go OK and if things go Schrodinger on me, I'll snap one of these little jerks necks and now his Mom and Dad will end up owning my house, my car, my cats and my 2 marijuana plants, Ick and Nick. Remind me why I would do anything but call for help? Bus driving is not a law enforcement profession (for now).

Are we going to start arming school-bus drivers? I'm good with that and I'm good with completely open rules of engagement. When in doubt, pull the trigger.

So, what is the spin? I don't get it?

It is...I'm wondering how in the hell people can call simply reporting the facts spin, based on conjecture of what might have been spun if the races were reversed. That is beyond ridiculous.

They didn't simply report the facts. This is the point! What is wrong with you? Are you dense? They made the crux of the story about the bus driver and the school's policy toward intervening in a physical altercations, and made the brutal beating of the white kid by three black kids merely incidental. And they did this in the wake of all the very recent racial controversy surrounding the Zimmerman-Martin incident.

What is ridiculous is your failure to recognize that, not only was this an exceptionally brutal beating as school bus beatings go, but that race is a GLARING factor in it, so glaring that CNN went to great pains to minimize the exposure of the victim's race.

The problem here isn't with me, it's with your racist attitudes. I understand what you're trying to say, but it's beyond stupid. Simply reporting the facts is not spin. What you want CNN to do WOULD be spin.

Oh, I'm sorry!... Am I having a "racist attitude" because I happen to notice such blatant racial bias in news reporting? What is beyond stupid is you. How about if you stop hiding your head in the sand and take a good hard look at reality?

And I'm telling you it doesn't matter one damn bit how CNN would have presented any other story.

Actually, it DOES MATTER. It matters quite a bit. This is the point!

However, I WILL answer your question like this. If the races WERE reversed and CNN DID spin it as a racial thing, my guess is you'd be one of the first to stand up and criticize CNN for making it a racial story. In other words, I'm detecting a hint of racism in your attitude in this thread. I cannot call you a racist, I don't know you well enough, but your attitude about this story suggests it to me.

Once again, you cowered from answering the question, just like the intellectual ***** you are.

One more time, and I'll make it even easier for you:

YES or NO?

Maybe. But in my opinion this is the way the story should be presented. If the races had been reversed and they reported the story differently then they may be in the wrong.

THIS IS THE POINT!!!! They would not have presented the story this way had the races been reversed. They would have made a huge racial production out of the incident. They would have had Jesse, and Al, and the rest of the black racial demagogues on Piers Morgan howling about how white people expect black children to sit at the back of the bus, and demanding that the white bus driver, along with the white thugs, be charged with a hate crime.

Do you really think this would not have happened?

Last edited:
THIS IS THE POINT!!!! They would not have presented the story this way had the races been reversed. They would have made a huge racial production out of the incident. They would have had Jesse, and Al, and the rest of the black racial demagogues on Piers Morgan howling about how white people expect black children to sit at the back of the bus, and demanding that the white bus driver, along with the white thugs, be charged with a hate crime.

I have no clue. I don't remember if CNN was making a big deal out of the race of Trayvon Martin's race before everyone else was or not. I'm not going to criticize this story for reporting things right. If there is a similar incident with the races reversed and CNN starts to make a big deal out of it, I would hammer it.

They didn't simply report the facts.
Uhh, yes they did. What they didn't do was turn this story into a race story, like you seem to have wanted them to.

This is the point! What is wrong with you? Are you dense?
This is what is commonly referred to as irony...

They made the crux of the story about the bus driver and the school's policy toward intervening in a physical altercations
Yes, how dare CNN make the crux of the story about the fact an adult stood by and watched a child get brutally assaulted, based upon the fact there are no rules or law requiring him to act? :roll:

That SHOULD be the crux of the story! Not your race-baiting desires. You are engaging in race-baiting right now, that's all it is.

and made the brutal beating of the white kid by three black kids merely incidental.
The entire story revolves around the idea of three KIDS beating another KID. Why are you injecting race into this?

And they did this in the wake of all the very recent racial controversy surrounding the Zimmerman-Martin incident.
So? CNN and every other news outlet spun that story, which there is very little evidence race was involved, into a story about race. It was not right of them to do so. So your argument is because they were wrong then, they are spinning this story by reporting the facts like they should? Do you not see how absolutely dumb that position is?

What is ridiculous is your failure to recognize that, not only was this an exceptionally brutal beating as school bus beatings go
Of course it was. Which is why the story should be about why nothing was done to stop it, not what race the children were.

but that race is a GLARING factor in it, so glaring that CNN went to great pains to minimize the exposure of the victim's race.
WHAT?! Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

CNN said:
Police say the youths attacked the 13-year-old after he told officials at their dropout prevention school that one of them had tried to sell him drugs.
This had nothing to do with race, this was about drugs and alerting authorities.

Did you not even bother to read the article you posted?

Oh, I'm sorry!... Am I having a "racist attitude" because I happen to notice such blatant racial bias in news reporting?
Yes. Because there is no racial bias in this article. The fact you seem offended race isn't mentioned, the fact black people aren't being criticized as racist, very much suggests a racist attitude.
How about if you stop hiding your head in the sand and take a good hard look at reality?
I shudder to think what life must be life looking through your version of reality. Any person who thinks not mentioning race in a story which was not about race is racially spinning a story is not the kind of person whose reality I want to live in.

No, no it does not. Ignoring for a moment that CNN is not a person, and that stories are written by different people (meaning you'd have to show direct evidence of the writer of this particular article only focusing on race in certain instances), the fact of the matter is simply reporting the facts is not spin.

Let's put it this way. Let's say you're a liar. You lie 95% of the time. But then let's say you actually tell the truth the other 5%. Under your theory, even that 5% is a lie, because you spin the truth the other 95%. Do you see why your position here is ridiculous?

Look, I understand what you're getting at. You want to play the poor white victim, who never gets any respect from the media. These awful terrible black people picked on some poor white boy and the media never cares about white people. I understand your point. It's just nonsense.

Once again, you cowered from answering the question, just like the intellectual ***** you are:
It's a stupid and irrelevant question. Not answering stupid and irrelevant questions doesn't say anything about my intellect, except for the fact I recognize stupid and irrelevant questions.

YES or NO?
As I continue to say, what may happen in your hypothetical does not matter. We are discussing THIS story. In the George Zimmerman case, yes, I think the news organizations spun it as a racial issue to sell. But that is completely irrelevant to the fact that, in this case, they simply reported what happened. And your position that simply reporting what happened, and not dishonestly pushing a race card, means they are spinning the story is one of the most asinine hypothesis I have seen on Internet forums.

You really do dislike black people, don't you? That's the only possible explanation I can come up with on why you are so insistent about making this story about race, when it is clearly not about race.

They didn't simply report the facts. This is the point! What is wrong with you? Are you dense? They made the crux of the story about the bus driver and the school's policy toward intervening in a physical altercations, and made the brutal beating of the white kid by three black kids merely incidental. And they did this in the wake of all the very recent racial controversy surrounding the Zimmerman-Martin incident.

What is ridiculous is your failure to recognize that, not only was this an exceptionally brutal beating as school bus beatings go, but that race is a GLARING factor in it, so glaring that CNN went to great pains to minimize the exposure of the victim's race.

Oh, I'm sorry!... Am I having a "racist attitude" because I happen to notice such blatant racial bias in news reporting? What is beyond stupid is you. How about if you stop hiding your head in the sand and take a good hard look at reality?

Once again, you cowered from answering the question, just like the intellectual ***** you are.

One more time, and I'll make it even easier for you:

YES or NO?

Two things.

1. Repeating the same exact argument over and over again to someone who has the exact opposite view of the situation does not convince anyone. Take a deep breath, step back, and see what part of your oft repeated point is not making sense to your opponent. Then try to present a new argument that further supports your original position.

2. There is no point in asking a hypothetical question about "reversed racial composition" when your opponent does not see any racial issue in your original argument.

Hope that helps (as Tucker would say). :)

I have no clue.

Just leave it at that.

And just so you know, the issue is not about what you would or would not do (or did or did not do, for that matter) whenever CNN puts a blatant racial spin on a story, such as was done during the Zimmerman case. The issue is about the racial spin which CNN has infused, and continues to infuse, into its news reporting according to an obvious (and apparently not so obvious) agenda.

Just leave it at that.

And just so you know, the issue is not about what you would or would not do (or did or did not do, for that matter) whenever CNN puts a blatant racial spin on a story, such as was done during the Zimmerman case. The issue is about the racial spin which CNN has infused, and continues to infuse, into its news reporting according to an obvious (and apparently not so obvious) agenda.
It amazes me you don't see the ridiculousness of what you're saying here:

By not mentioning race, which had no part of what happened, you claim they are infusing racial bias in this story. Simply reporting the facts is something you consider racial bias...but only if black people are the transgressors.

Let me ask you a hypothetical. If the three boys were white and the victim was black...and the story was written in EXACTLY the same way...would you be here screaming about racial bias? Never mind, don't answer that. We already know you wouldn't.
Either you find the guts to answer the question put to you, or get lost.
When you ask a relevant question, I'll be happy to answer.

Just leave it at that.

Then give an example of racial bias in a CNN report rather than an example of one without it and claiming bias.

Two things.

1. Repeating the same exact argument over and over again to someone who has the exact opposite view of the situation does not convince anyone. Take a deep breath, step back, and see what part of your oft repeated point is not making sense to your opponent. Then try to present a new argument that further supports your original position.

2. There is no point in asking a hypothetical question about "reversed racial composition" when your opponent does not see any racial issue in your original argument.

Hope that helps (as Tucker would say). :)

Two things:

1. STFU, you're an imbecile

2. Go away

Then give an example of racial bias in a CNN report rather than an example of one without it and claiming bias.
Slow down, you might be making too much sense.

By the way, good to see another MO poster. Of course, I'm a Braves fan so I have to...ummm....

4708broom_large.jpg

A little old, perhaps, but still good. :) Although, if they are not playing the Braves, I'll root for the Cardinals.

Back
Top Bottom