• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Check out the spin on this story...

Slow down, you might be making too much sense.

By the way, good to see another MO poster. Of course, I'm a Braves fan so I have to...ummm....

View attachment 67151629

A little old, perhaps, but still good. :) Although, if they are not playing the Braves, I'll root for the Cardinals.

The Cardinals probably deserved that sweep considering what they did to the Braves the last two years.

Then give an example of racial bias in a CNN report rather than an example of one without it and claiming bias.

Are you serious? Were you at all attentive to the news reporting during the Zimmerman case?

For starters: Do you recall a certain photograph of Trayvon Martin when he was about 12 years old making the rounds on CNN and other news media?

GTG. It's getting late and you hammerheads are hopeless. G'night.

Are you serious? Were you at all attentive to the news reporting during the Zimmerman case?

For starters: Do you recall a certain photograph of Trayvon Martin when he was about 12 years old making the rounds on CNN and other news media?

GTG. It's getting late and you hammerheads are hopeless. G'night.

Well to be honest I tried not to follow the Zimmerman case at all, and I don't generally watch CNN. I don't see the bias in this story, but if you want to provide an example of a story like that go ahead. I just don't think its right to expect outrage because a case doesn't have any racial bias.

Two things.

1. Repeating the same exact argument over and over again to someone who has the exact opposite view of the situation does not convince anyone. Take a deep breath, step back, and see what part of your oft repeated point is not making sense to your opponent. Then try to present a new argument that further supports your original position.

2. There is no point in asking a hypothetical question about "reversed racial composition" when your opponent does not see any racial issue in your original argument.

Hope that helps (as Tucker would say). :)

Oh well, nice effort.

I haven't read all the posts, so this may have already been stated... if so, I apologize to the original poster.

That said, in the CNN on air report I saw, they did state, very quickly and as an aside, that the three were beating the other kid because he had reported one of the three to officials for selling drugs in school.

That should have been the story. That the beating went unfettered by the driver should have been the part only mentioned, but not the primary point of the story.

What is racial is the way that the story was presented, the spin that CNN gave the story, which they surely would not have given it had the racial composition been reversed.

CNN didn't put any spin on it....Is that is what is upsetting you? It didn't need any spin--cops came and the kids were arrested....

Three black kids beat the hell out of a white kid on a Florida school bus, break his arm, rob him, and CNN spins the whole story as an apology for the bus driver.

Driver says he did all he could during Florida school bus beating - CNN.com

Never mind the appalling sociopathic behavior of the black kids on the bus, nor the fact that the black bus driver stood by and watched as the three black kids pummeled a white kid half to death, the real story, at least for CNN, is the school's policy in reference to bus drivers physically intervening in such situations, and why this particular bus driver should not held accountable for his disgusting sin of omission. I wonder how CNN would have presented the story had the races been reversed? I wonder if they would have gone to such pains to edit out a clear view of the race of the victim? I wonder if they would not have demonized the bus driver as a blatant racist deserving of all social contempt and criminal prosecution?

I just watched the video you attached. I'm sorry but I do not see spin. Would you consider the possibility that your upset is because they did not focus on the component of the story you felt was most significant? If so, what do you think that should have been?

CNN didn't put any spin on it....Is that is what is upsetting you? It didn't need any spin--cops came and the kids were arrested....

I agree. But you have to admit that had the races been completely reversed, we would have had the usual folks all over TV raising sand about a racially motivated beating. This was a beating because the beat-ee had reported one of the beat-ers to officials for selling drugs in school. Could very well had been totally reversed as to race; white kids beating a black kid for reporting one of them for selling drugs at school. But in that case, Sharpton, Jackson and many others would have been all over it, with the MSM right behind it with dozens of "oh my goodness, what a tragedy" stories and talking heads discussing the "facts" of the case all night tonight. But it didn't, and it wasn't.

I agree. But you have to admit that had the races been completely reversed, we would have had the usual folks all over TV raising sand about a racially motivated beating. This was a beating because the beat-ee had reported one of the beat-ers to officials for selling drugs in school. Could very well had been totally reversed as to race; white kids beating a black kid for reporting one of them for selling drugs at school. But in that case, Sharpton, Jackson and many others would have been all over it, with the MSM right behind it with dozens of "oh my goodness, what a tragedy" stories and talking heads discussing the "facts" of the case all night tonight. But it didn't, and it wasn't.

That could very well be true, but I don't really like the idea of expecting over "what-if" scenarios like that. If a case comes along like the one you suggested and people make it about race, then we can be properly outraged about it.

I just watched the video you attached. I'm sorry but I do not see spin. Would you consider the possibility that your upset is because they did not focus on the component of the story you felt was most significant? If so, what do you think that should have been?

There was no spin. It was selective reporting (and I think that's what's pissing some off), in that they didn't discuss the motive more than a mere mention and chose rather to focus on the lack of intervention by the adult.

Now, that part of the story is very important. I actually applaud them for bringing that part of the story out. Especially when I saw them discuss the parallel in the lack of intervention in schools by teachers because of fear of litigation or prosecution for laying a hand on a kid.

Both are important, and both deserve equal time in the media. IMHO.

That could very well be true, but I don't really like the idea of expecting over "what-if" scenarios like that. If a case comes along like the one you suggested and people make it about race, then we can be properly outraged about it.

Happens all the time. Many turn out to be mislabeled as racial. Some are in fact racial. But that wasn't the point of my thought process. I was only commenting on the posters apathy toward the possibility.

I don't think this particular story had anything to do with race.

Edit: Oh, and BTW. I like Huntsman also.

Can someone tell me what these hammers mean that just showed up under my screen name? Don't want to derail the thread, so PM me if you know. Thanks.

Perhaps it is your head that is spinning? ... or perhaps, you're just not very perceptive. I can't fix that.

Nevertheless, I'll give it one more try. This time answer the question:

Do you really believe that, had the racial composition been reversed in this incident, that CNN would have presented the story in the same exact way?

If my sister had balls, she'd be my brother.
You're trying to get excited about something that might have happened, but didn't.

There was no spin. It was selective reporting (and I think that's what's pissing some off), in that they didn't discuss the motive more than a mere mention and chose rather to focus on the lack of intervention by the adult.

Now, that part of the story is very important. I actually applaud them for bringing that part of the story out. Especially when I saw them discuss the parallel in the lack of intervention in schools by teachers because of fear of litigation or prosecution for laying a hand on a kid.

Both are important, and both deserve equal time in the media. IMHO.

I agree there was no spin. I was trying to offer another way to look at it besides saying that it DID have spin. It seems however that violence in public schools is a separate and perhaps much larger issue. It could be considered incomplete coverage but that does not equate to putting a spin on a story.

Not necessarily....The first reports on the Zimmerman case were factual reporting, but as opinions were formed and sides taken and crowds in Florida started protesting and it spread nationwide, EVERYBODY took sides, even CNN...

I agree there was no spin. I was trying to offer another way to look at it besides saying that it DID have spin. It seems however that violence in public schools is a separate and perhaps much larger issue. It could be considered incomplete coverage but that does not equate to putting a spin on a story.

Agreed. I didn't think you thought there was any spin, by the way.

If you haven't figured me out yet, I'm a pretty conservative guy on many issues. Conservative in the way it was before the dumb#sses got hold of the term.

As you've seen, you and I agree on many issues, but I'm sure, somewhere down the road, we'll disagree. But from our discussions so far, I'm sure it will be respectful and civil. And for that, I thank you in advance.

Not necessarily....The first reports on the Zimmerman case were factual reporting, but as opinions were formed and sides taken and crowds in Florida started protesting and it spread nationwide, EVERYBODY took sides, even CNN...

I try not to discuss that particular case, because it only leads to disagreement, no matter whether I'm talking to a person that liked or disagreed with the verdict.

Now to break my statement above... And sadly yes, everyone took sides, which did nothing but set this country back a decade or more in race relations.

I try not to discuss that particular case, because it only leads to disagreement, no matter whether I'm talking to a person that liked or disagreed with the verdict.

Now to break my statement above... And sadly yes, everyone took sides, which did nothing but set this country back a decade or more in race relations.

Perhaps....The case divided us not only on racial lines, but political lines as well..... I doubt if anything has radically changed for the worse in either regard....

Perhaps it is your head that is spinning? ... or perhaps, you're just not very perceptive. I can't fix that.

Nevertheless, I'll give it one more try. This time answer the question:

Do you really believe that, had the racial composition been reversed in this incident, that CNN would have presented the story in the same exact way?

I agree, if the racial roles had been reversed, this would have been a huge front page story about racism in America. All of these other ostriches can keep their heads buried in the sand and deny the truth, but some of us are smart enough to know better.

I agree, if the racial roles had been reversed, this would have been a huge front page story about racism in America. All of these other ostriches can keep their heads buried in the sand and deny the truth, but some of us are smart enough to know better.

If I remember correctly no one on this thread is really denying that. But IMO you should wait until that actually happens before expecting outrage. You can't expect outcry over a. Every piece of unspun reporting just because you believe the media might spin a hypothetical story.

If I remember correctly no one on this thread is really denying that. But IMO you should wait until that actually happens before expecting outrage. You can't expect outcry over a. Every piece of unspun reporting just because you believe the media might spin a hypothetical story.

Lol! Wait until what actually happens? Nothing?

Lol! Wait until what actually happens? Nothing?

Wait until the media actually promotes a biased white on black story rather than expecting outcry over a story because of the lack of spin.

Wait until the media actually promotes a biased white on black story rather than expecting outcry over a story because of the lack of spin.

I see what you're saying. I'm just making the observation that if the roles were reversed, there would more than likely already be some spin happening. Motives of racism would be questioned immediately, and innocent until proven guilty seems to fly out the window in such cases.

I see what you're saying. I'm just making the observation that if the roles were reversed, there would more than likely already be some spin happening. Motives of racism would be questioned immediately, and innocent until proven guilty seems to fly out the window in such cases.

I agree but most cases of white on black violence will not be picked up nationally and promoted heavily. Most are just reported and forgotten. Yes it has an infinitely better chance of happening then black on black or black on white violence, but it doesn't happen every time. Since it doesn't, I think it's more appropriate to wait until it happens and condemn it then, rather than condemning this story for being reported well out of suspicion a different report would not be.

Back
Top Bottom