• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chauvin Seeks New Trial, Alleges Prosecutorial & Jury Misconduct

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Like we didn’t see this coming

In what will likely come as no surprise to many - especially given the judge's own remarks during closing arguments - Derek Chauvin's lawyer filed a motion on Tuesday in Hennepin County, Minnesota, for a new trial on multiple grounds including jury misconduct and in the "interest of justice."

The juror will be the trip wire.

We have a thread on this. Come join

That was quick. Probably a strategic decision.

Usually it takes some time to develop a motion for new trial. You need to make sure you don't waive any claims by failing to raise them in your first...

In what will likely come as no surprise to many - especially given the judge's own remarks during closing arguments - Derek Chauvin's lawyer filed a motion on Tuesday in Hennepin County, Minnesota, for a new trial on multiple grounds including jury misconduct and in the "interest of justice."

He wont get a new trial, nor should he. He was convicted because he never produced a defense of his actions. He needed to explain why it was he kneeled on the neck of a man cuffed and laying face down in the street long after the guy had passed out. Unless you believe Floyd would have died in the back seat of the cruiser (had they gotten him in there) then you can only conclude that Chavins actions contributed to Floyds death. The jury found him guilty based upon the evidence they heard and no matter how many times he stands trial, the outcome will be the same.

He wont get a new trial, nor should he. He was convicted because he never produced a defense of his actions. He needed to explain why it was he kneeled on the neck of a man cuffed and laying face down in the street long after the guy had passed out. Unless you believe Floyd would have died in the back seat of the cruiser (had they gotten him in there) then you can only conclude that Chavins actions contributed to Floyds death. The jury found him guilty based upon the evidence they heard and no matter how many times he stands trial, the outcome will be the same.
Let a new trial come about the same conclusions you expound

You're an appeals judge. On the one hand, Chauvin objectively should get a new trial. OTOH, you'd like your career to go somewhere and your house to not get burned down. What do you do?

An appeal was always coming, based on one thing or another.

But who's paying for it this time? The police union paid at least some of it the first time.

The police that testified almost all testified against Chauvin's actions...he made the dept and the profession look like shit.

Do you work for ZeroHedge?

I agree somewhat as to the manslaughter charge. I do believe there is at least a colorable claim that the jury was worried that if they did not convict on the most serious charge, their city would burn.

Chauvin isn't someone I want to get behind even though I think the whole BLM movement is basiclly a crock of Sh. I'm not sure 2nd degree murder was more appropriate than manslaughter but he certainly murdered that black man and he deserves to pay a heavy price for it.

Damn, this may be the first time I've agreed with your post.

The other thing is if he does get another trial where will they have it?

Rochester, Duluth, st.cloud???

You will not find a better jury pool in Minnesota anywhere than what he had.

Watching him kill Floyd for 9 minutes over again for another two weeks isn't going to change a thing.

And good luck finding one person in Minnesota (and yes the trial has to be in Minnesota) that does not know about this case, or has not seen the video and does not have an opinion on it, let alone 12...

If he had died in the back of the patrol car, or a paddy wagon, or an ambulance on the way to the hospital there's a chance we might not have ever even heard of this story.
All they had to do was load him into a paddy wagon or an ambulance.
Of course, that also means that the Third Precinct would have continued to be the playground for rogue cops for another five or ten years, or until they murdered another unarmed handcuffed prone individual instead.

Where?

I just looked for a new trial thread.
They might be referring to this one:

I agree somewhat as to the manslaughter charge. I do believe there is at least a colorable claim that the jury was worried that if they did not convict on the most serious charge, their city would burn.
The jury voted guilty out of fear of RETALIATION.

Good grief, we actually agree on something!

Of course you have evidence of this, counselor. Other than your feelings, I mean, and your sad that a white cop didn't get away with killing a black man on camera.

It's a sad day when leftists intimidate everyone to hang someone like in the old west. You either hang the "guilty" person or we burn your town down. It's also a very sad day when the president jumps into the frey to declare someone guilty on his own.

Back
Top Bottom