• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Charlie Hebdo is heroic and racist

What are you doing about pedophilia in Christianity? What are you doing about gun crime in the US? Why should ~1.2 billion Muslims "do something" about a crime they don't participate in?

We're parading around burning American flags and effigies of our President.....oh wait, we're not.

What should society do about those who incite violence with their intemperate words and images?

How should society deal with them?

I suppose it depends on the type of society people want to live in.

We have examples of what authoritarian societies do to those who incite violence with their intemperate words and images. For example, Islamic State just beheads them, rapes their children if they have any, and enslaves those who are no longer useful as sex toys.

In 21st century societies, it's best to just ignore them lest your own speech get your head removed should a new regime find you the enemy.

We're parading around burning American flags and effigies of our President.....oh wait, we're not.

I don't have time for your gibberish and drive by posting today. Move along.

I don't have time for your gibberish and drive by posting today. Move along.

Sure you do. You always have time for me.

Sure you do. You always have time for me.

Nope, no time. Gibberish isn't on my menu of things to address. Now, do you want to address my question or not? Why should Muslims "do something" about acts they play no role in? Are Christians also held to that standard? Do Catholics have to "do something" about pedophilia in the clergy? Do Protestants in Germany have to do something about Christianists in Africa?

Nope, no time. Gibberish isn't on my menu of things to address. Now, do you want to address my question or not? Why should Muslims "do something" about acts they play no role in? Are Christians also held to that standard? Do Catholics have to "do something" about pedophilia in the clergy? Do Protestants in Germany have to do something about Christianists in Africa?

Of course they should. I'd say there's a difference in orders of magnitude.

Of course they should. I'd say there's a difference in orders of magnitude.

Lmao, utter nonsense. You're not expected to do something about a crime you took no role in. Kony for example has killed hundreds of thousands. He has maimed tens of thousands more and displaced millions. This isn't a "blurry situation" where the person's role and their actual role is questioned. So where are the demonstrations by Christians on it? Where are the Christians demonstrating against Uganda's state sanctioned murder of homosexuals? Why is Ahmed, a computer scientist, who also happens to be a Muslim, being asked to "do something" about Islamic terrorism when he plays no role in it? :)

This article highlights the media's problematic homogenisation of muslims brilliantly. Before you ask muslims to come out and prove their status as a "good" muslim by condemning a violent attack for which they bear no responsibility, think about the demands that are regularly placed on them, demands the media never makes of white christians to come out in condemnation when violent acts are carried out. When muslims are involved, it's terrorism - when white young men commit acts of violence it's an unfortunate manifestation of the 21st century's failing of it's boys. When white police regularly kill unarmed black men, they do so with impunity. Rarely are the police as an institution asked to come out and speak on behalf of all police, to prove they are a "good" cop. Journalists/satirical cartoonists do not deserve to be killed no matter the nature of their work. But this incident will not only have 12 victims. It will be used to bolster far right, islamophobic sentiments. It will result in the arrest, assault, harassment and potentially the murder of innocent people for their appearance or religious convictions. And when ‪#‎killallmuslims‬ is trending on twitter there needs to be a serious step back taken by humanity.

Interview With a Muslim | Religion Dispatches

Q: Have you condemned the attack?

A: I’m sorry, what?

Q: Do you as a Muslim condemn this attack?

A: Well yes. But.

Q: Why do you hesitate?

A: If I condemn the attack I could make it seem like I’m justifying a collective guilt. That worries me.

Q: CNN is asking Muslims to condemn the attack. It’s not just me.

A: I didn’t see CNN ask anyone to condemn the bombing of the NAACP office in Colorado. But that happened too. I guess it didn’t matter as much. #FrenchLivesMatter more than #BlackLivesMatter.

Q: It’s not the same thing.

A: Three mosques were attacked in Sweden in the last three weeks. One was set on fire, with people inside. Just recently thousands of Germans gathered against ‘Islamization.’ Somehow I don’t think they mean a handful of radicals.

Q: So you’re saying you don’t condemn the attack.

A: I already condemned it. What else do you need to hear?

Q: Well maybe Muslims should go out in the streets, to protest, to show people they don’t agree. To make it clear.

A: I should think when thousands of French are gathering in solidarity and #KillAllMuslims is trending on Twitter that being visibly Muslim in public would not be a good idea.

Q: Well then condemn it in print. On the radio. On TV. Where, for example, are the Muslims condemning ISIS?

A: You mean other than the tens of thousands of Muslims who are fighting them, being killed by them, and trying to stop them? You mean the 140+ children who were slaughtered in Peshawar by the Taliban? Most of the victims of Muslim violence are Muslim.

Q: So you’re saying Muslims are more violent than other people?

A: I never said that.

Q: Well why does it look that way?

A: When’s the last time you saw concentration camps for Muslims on the news? But that’s happening, in Myanmar.

Q: So you’re saying Muslims are innocent?

A: I’m saying the world is a complicated place. And just as I condemn the attack on Charlie Hebdo I condemn attacks on all people. I fear what this selectivity means. It betrays a structural bias so powerful we can barely see it.

Q: Are you saying this attack is justified?

A: No. Of course not. I’m saying let’s not make this an occasion to empower still more people with violence on their minds.

Q: Context can be mistaken for justification.

A: It’s a good thing CNN isn’t providing any context right now.

Q: So where does this leave us? Do Muslims condemn terror?

A: If I speak, it is used against me, and if I do not speak, it is used against me. I condemn violence against the innocent. I think what happened in Paris was horrible. Do I need to say more?

Lmao, utter nonsense. You're not expected to do something about a crime you took no role in. Kony for example has killed hundreds of thousands. He has maimed tens of thousands more and displaced millions. This isn't a "blurry situation" where the person's role and their actual role is questioned. So where are the demonstrations by Christians on it? Where are the Christians demonstrating against Uganda's state sanctioned murder of homosexuals? Why is Ahmed, a computer scientist, who also happens to be a Muslim, being asked to "do something" about Islamic terrorism when he plays no role in it? :)

After the September 11 attacks, the United States declared the Lord's Resistance Army to be a terrorist group.[100] On 28 August 2008, the United States Treasury Department placed Kony on its list of "Specially Designated Global Terrorists", a designation that carries financial and other penalties.

In November 2008, U.S. President George W. Bush personally signed a directive to the United States Africa Command to provide assistance financially and logistically to the Ugandan government during the unsuccessful Garamba Offensive, code-named Operation Lightning Thunder. No U.S. troops were directly involved, but 17 U.S. advisers and analysts provided intelligence, equipment, and fuel to Ugandan military counterparts. The offensive pushed Kony from his jungle camp, but he was not captured. One hundred children were rescued.

Lord's Resistance Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You don't see anyone making excuses for them, or blaming The United States for their existence, or screaming racism, in their defense.

You don't see anyone making excuses for them, or blaming The United States for their existence, or screaming racism, in their defense.

Lmao, reading comprehension is important, apdst. Nobody asked what the US government is doing. What is being asked is why isn't Joe, the Christian, expected to do anything about it but Ahmed, the Muslim, is expected to do something.

The editors and cartoonists murdered in yesterday's attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo are now martyrs for the cause of free speech.

Read the article here: Charlie Hebdo: The French satirical magazine is heroic. It is also racist.

I applaud Charlie Hebdo's heroism, but At the same time I deplore its racism.

What a few Muslims do doesn't reflect the attitudes of all Muslims.

Hebdo has a record of attacking Xtians as well. . .

Politically left-libertarian, it has gleefully fired barbs at other religions, such as the Catholic Church when it was mired in child sex abuse scandals several years ago, and devotes even more space to lampooning politicians on the right and left. On New Year's Eve, it published a caricature of a dog having sex with the leg of French President Francois Hollande, while on Dec. 20 it published a cartoon of the Virgin Mary giving birth to Jesus, who was depicted with a pig nose.

Paris Terror Attack: What You Need to Know About Charlie Hebdo - NBC News

Lmao, reading comprehension is important, apdst. Nobody asked what the US government is doing. What is being asked is why isn't Joe, the Christian, expected to do anything about it but Ahmed, the Muslim, is expected to do something.

That noise you just heard was the entire point going over your head. :lamo

Total hogwash. Charlie Hebdo is probably the most irreverent, politically incorrect, in your face, crude and crass publication on the planet. Even South Park in its wildest and craziest episodes doesn't come close to their level. They've made fun of everything and everyone under the sun. They are not racist. They simply have zero use for political or even social correctness. They are a necessity to counterbalance the often too cautious mainstream media and I hope they never, ever change.

Makes you wonder why everyone is saying Islamists were behind the attack on it--could very well have been radical, conservative Christian extremists.

That noise you just heard was the entire point going over your head. :lamo

There was no point because your post had nothing to do with mine. Try getting some analytical skills?

Makes you wonder why everyone is saying Islamists were behind the attack on it--could very well have been radical, conservative Christian extremists.

Maybe because the terrorists, in their own words, claimed to be doing it for Allah and to avenge the honor of their prophet Mohamed, but what do I know...

That's only true if the author isn't focusing solely on Christianity. If they are, then the usual contingent of Christian faithful on this forum will whine about how bad Christians have it.

Don't worry about whiners.

What should society do about those who incite violence with their intemperate words and images?

How should society deal with them?

Though, I think they are rather unpleasant and dislike their point of view, I would not at all want to allow the state to prevent them saying, what they want.

The only race on this planet is the human race and the only people who divide humans into separate races are racists.

I am not sure I agree. Whether we call the differences races or otherwise is not an issue to me, but it is a term I have seen used in medical studies of race specific illness.

Back
Top Bottom