• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Charles Murray Changed His Mind on Immigration - Now that's progress.

maxparrish

Conservatarian
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Its nearly impossible to change people's mind on immigration, yet much to my delight, I belatedly discovered that Murray has. Like the majority of libertarians he thoughtlessly assumed that the most good for the greatest number was more important than looking out one's fellow citizens.

No longer.

But he said he has had a recent change in his way of thinking on the subject.
“I have had to undergo a great deal of re-thinking this year about what I make of all this [concerning immigration]… and the catalyst in the change in my thinking has, in fact, been Donald Trump and I should say the reaction he has aroused,” Murray stated.

“The thing that has gotten to me over the course of this year… has been the idea, the very simple idea, that the citizens of a nation owe something to each other that is over and above our general obligations to our fellow human beings. That there is a sense that we should take care of our own, our own in this case being Americans.”

Murray said he used to reject that way of thinking “pretty much without thinking.” He saw globalization as an undeniable good for all involved and immigration as good for a nation’s economy. But the research, such as that conducted by Richwine and Wax, along with Trump’s campaign have changed his mind on the subject.

The scholar recalled his 2012 book, “Coming Apart,” and how it covered many of the problems which are affecting the working-class in America — from astronomic rates of out-of-wedlock births to large numbers of men who’ve dropped out of the workforce. Murray hopes a moratorium on low-skill immigration would spur economic prosperity in naive working-class communities and lift them out of their present woes, but he does understand that it might not work.

However, the author believes that a policy like this should be pursued if Americans want to have a society that looks after its own.

“We need to reconstruct an American society in which people are proud of being part of one brotherhood/sisterhood in the United States. Of a kind that was never perfect in this country, but, by God, we got a lot closer to it than any other society,” he explained in why it was necessary to start rethinking immigration policy.

But while admitting Trump’s candidacy has changed his mind on immigration and how a nation should conduct itself, Murray is fervently opposed to the idea of voting for the Republican nominee.
“I would not, under any circumstances, vote for Donald Trump to be president. I think he is utterly unfit for the office.”

https://dailycaller.com/2016/09/27/charles-murray-comes-out-in-favor-of-an-immigration-moratorium/

Last edited:
Its nearly impossible to change people's mind on immigration, yet much to my delight, I belatedly discovered that Murray has. Like the majority of libertarians he thoughtlessly assumed that the most good for the greatest number was more important than looking out one's fellow citizens.

No longer.

https://dailycaller.com/2016/09/27/charles-murray-comes-out-in-favor-of-an-immigration-moratorium/

I do not know who he is and why I should care.

EDIT: Oh he's that racist... who wrote that racist book...

I do not know who he is and why I should care.

EDIT: Oh he's that racist... who wrote that racist book...

Correction, NeverTrumpGOP: He's a man who is accused of being racist for writing a book that pointed out the difference of average IQs among populations. And if he is a racist of any sort, he is apparently an East Asian-supremacist. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom