• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chardonnay or Müller-Thurgau aka Rivaner - what do you prefer?

• Müller-Thurgau aka Rivaner

• Chardonnay

• I don't know either of the two

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Müller-Thurgau / Rivaner
Müller-Thurgau, also commonly known as Rivaner, is the second most planted grape in Germany and accounts for 12% of the total vineyard area with 12, 057 ha in 2018.

It was created in 1882 in Geisenheim by Professor Hermann Müller from Thurgau in Switzerland. It was long assumed to be a cross between Riesling and Silvaner (hence “Rivaner”), however, this was disproved by genetic analysis some time ago. The real “parents” are Riesling and Madeleine Royale.

Chardonnay needs no introducing, as it is the most wide-spread and also the most boring white wine of the wine world. :)

I can only recommend

Müller-Thurgau aka Rivaner aka Riesling-Silvaner​

I think I might have had the Rivaner once, and it's good wine. German wine is seriously underrated, IMO, as are many of the European varieties outside of Iberia, France, and Italy.

Chardonnay needs no introducing, as it is the most wide-spread and also the most boring white wine of the wine world. :)
If you think Chardonnay is boring, then you've never had great Chardonnay.

As chardonay is the only variety I do not like the answer is easy

As chardonay is the only variety I do not like the answer is easy
Then we are two!
I can't stand Chardonnay.
There are too many persons out there who think that they are "connaisseurs" if they can half-way pronounce "Chardonnay" - but do not know any name of any other grape. :)

If you think Chardonnay is boring, then you've never had great Chardonnay.
I still think that Chardonnay is the most boring grape on earth - even the name is deadly boring. :)

So far:

1 x Müller-Thurgau
1 x Chardonnay

When I was over there I used to drink Bocksbeutel. I don't know what kind of wine that is. It comes in cool bottle

When I was over there I used to drink Bocksbeutel. I don't know what kind of wine that is. It comes in cool bottle
"Bocksbeutel" is just the name of that special bottle. :)
Inside may be Riesling or Silvaner - or Müller-Thurgau also. :)

"Bocksbeutel" is just the name of that special bottle. :)
Inside may be Riesling or Silvaner - or Müller-Thurgau also. :)
lol
I couldn't tell the difference. They all tasted good to me. I'm more into ice tea than wine

Once there was a movement: ABC! = Anything but Chardonnay!
I can understand that idea very well!

Some info:

Wander into a trendy London wine bar or bistro, and you'll hear young sophisticates order not a glass of white wine, but 'a glass of Chardonnay'. Stroll along the supermarket shelves, and the white wine selection will be dominated by Chardonnays from virtually every wine-producing nation on earth. Chardonnay is everywhere, it's all pervasive; you can't get away from it. In the wine-drinking world of today, the word 'Chardonnay' is synonymous for 'dry white wine'. It's easy to forget that wines with the 'C' word on the label more-or-less didn't exist until about 30 years ago. No wonder wine drinkers have been tiring of Chardonnay, to the extent that a new term has been coined: 'ABC' (anything but Chardonnay). Although I'm an ardent fan of this grape variety, even I have found myself wanting a break from its rather obvious charms. Here I consider some of the alternatives, if you are after a dry white wine with some real character, and illustrate each option with tasting notes of a couple of examples.

I find it easy to avoid that boooooooooooooring Chardonnay! :)

Tonight I am enjoying a Müller-Thurgau! :)

I don't like wine.

Maybe it's because I'm 34 and you drink wine later on.

But I much prefer beer and cocktails or just hard liquor sometimes. But mostly beer.

Here I now copy the label of the Müller-Thurgau that I have enjoyed today:

Bötzinger Vulkanfelsen
Müller-Thurgau
Deutscher Qualitätswein
Winzergenossenschaft Bötzingen EG
D - 79 268 Bötzingen

Yesterday evening I actually had some Chardonnay with my shrimp soup. :)

2 out of 5 say:

Müller-Thurgau - aka Riesling-Silvaner aka Rivaner :)

Back
Top Bottom