• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chaos in House after GOP votes down LGBT measure

I'm sorry if it bothers you that businesses who hold themselves open to the general public do not get to refuse to serve people who they are bigoted against.

Hmm, Last time I checked a bigot was someone that held a belief or conviction despite irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

Yes, and here the bigotry is religiously-derived bigotry that gay people are inferior and immoral, which is held despite the evidence that (1) homosexuality is part genetics, part epi-genetics, and (2) there is a complete lack of evidence that being gay is "immoral" (and how could there be objective evidence on morality, when neither "natural rights" or "morality" derived therefrom can be proven to be objectively real?)

So much for your "gotcha"

You're also focusing on just one definition of bigotry. Here's another:

Full Definition of bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

(Merriam-Webster)

You omitted the "especially" portion, which accompanies most dictionary definitions of bigotry.

You lib's tend to misuse that word quite often

I wish semantic points weren't so frequently necessary in these debates, but words matter. Instead of addressing the disgusting desire to strip protections from or prevent protections from being given to gay people from prejudice, you want to argue about whether or not I should have only used one fraction of the total definition of "bigotry".....

:doh

And so we use, not "misuse" the word quite often. I wish we didn't have to do that either, but maybe if the right could jettison these bigotted social conservative positions, we could all stop worry about it.

Last edited:
You assume they all will not be harming anyone. But since most rapists and pedophiles are heterosexual men I don't want to risk it for some dingbat crusade.

This isn't about what you are comfortable with, it's about what other people in the restroom with you are comfortable with.

So ... bigotry. Let's just assume that all straight men are rapists out to get you? AHHHH!!! You must be a scared little man.

Jeez .. If making people uncomfortable is to be outlawed, I suggest we start by jailing creepy people who want to double-check other people's junk before they go to the bathroom.

So ... bigotry. Let's just assume that all straight men are rapists out to get you? AHHHH!!! You must be a scared little man.

And who said that all straight men are rapists?

They clearly aren't, but your arguing that legislation needs to passed to restrain them because "most rapists and pedophiles are heterosexual men ... I don't want to risk it for some dingbat crusade." The implication then, is that the only thing holding back this avalanche of hetero rapes is a friggin state statute about bathroom access. Your logic is tortured to the breaking point.

Yes, and here the bigotry is religiously-derived bigotry that gay people are inferior and immoral, which is held despite the evidence that (1) homosexuality is part genetics, part epi-genetics, and (2) there is a complete lack of evidence that being gay is "immoral" (and how could there be objective evidence on morality, when neither "natural rights" or "morality" derived therefrom can be proven to be objectively real?)

So much for your "gotcha"

You're also focusing on just one definition of bigotry. Here's another:

Full Definition of bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

(Merriam-Webster)

You omitted the "especially" portion, which accompanies most dictionary definitions of bigotry.

I wish semantic points weren't so frequently necessary in these debates, but words matter. Instead of addressing the disgusting desire to strip protections from or prevent protections from being given to gay people from prejudice, you want to argue about whether or not I should have only used one fraction of the total definition of "bigotry".....

:doh

And so we use, not "misuse" the word quite often. I wish we didn't have to do that either, but maybe if the right could jettison these bigotted social conservative positions, we could all stop worry about it.

Well, it wasn't a "gotcha" response to you at all. I was merely pointing out that liberals throw around that word like candy, and rarely do they truly understands what it means. As to the Merriam definition, and Oxford for that matter, you do realize that the definition of bigotry has actually "evolved" over the years to what it is now. Words tend to do that; and dictionaries among many other entities are not immune to political correctness anymore than you're average run-of-the-mill do gooder. As far as my correct and historically accurate definition of bigotry, the key is, evidence to the contrary, and although I admire your efforts to list several theories on the cause of homosexuality, the most compelling evidence for its cause remains, environment. Regardless, even if we did take any one of the current theories, they, as a whole, are just theories.. Lawyers love theories, and courts will entertain them, happens daily, but rarely do they convict without supporting evidence that strongly, without any doubt, support the theory in question. I think intellectually, one must concede that neither of your theories meets that burden, thus, irrefutable evidence to the contrary remains - "Anyone's guess".

You talk of semantics, and yet use the most used philosophical semantic of them all by introducing the concept of morality.. One need not be guided by a moral compass to hold fairly a position of distain for something they personally find reprehensible for any number of reasons, some may be religious, some a question of evolution, some a concern for the well-being of society as a whole, some simply find it icky, and some care for the well being of those afflicted, and reject any efforts to normalize the behavior, instead opting for methods that might help, or find ways to prevent it, just like any other mental disorder. I personally think that homosexuals, and especially transsexuals, have been hurt way more by the social-psychological community than helped. They find ways to justify things like physical mutilation, and yet reject other therapies that are by any stretch, much less invasive, and permanent. All in the name of progress.. Joseph Mengela would be proud! <---does that qualify? ;)

Tim-

That's about the mildest chaos I've ever seen.

Are you actually this clueless? I am talking about the law as Democrats and SJWs want it, not the NC law.

This thread is about a specific law that was voted down in the House, and not your feverish delusion of dems want.

Yeah, the Obama order for schools is, essentially, a threat that if a school doesn't let boys into the girls room then the Federal Government will stop feeding poor kids.

There is no "order" and it doesn't require that schools allow boys into the girls room. It says that all girls should be allowed to use the girls room.

The question I've asked, without anyone caring to venture an answer, if this is fine for transgender individuals, why shouldn't gay men and lesbian women be allowed to use the bathroom of their choice based on their own perceived sexuality?

Because bathrooms are separated by gender, not sexual orientation and there's no legitimate governmental interest furthered by allowing gay men to use the women's restroom and gay women to use the men's room.

You talk of semantics, and yet use the most used philosophical semantic of them all by introducing the concept of morality.. One need not be guided by a moral compass to hold fairly a position of distain for something they personally find reprehensible for any number of reasons, some may be religious, some a question of evolution, some a concern for the well-being of society as a whole, some simply find it icky, and some care for the well being of those afflicted, and reject any efforts to normalize the behavior, instead opting for methods that might help, or find ways to prevent it, just like any other mental disorder. I personally think that homosexuals, and especially transsexuals, have been hurt way more by the social-psychological community than helped. They find ways to justify things like physical mutilation, and yet reject other therapies that are by any stretch, much less invasive, and permanent. All in the name of progress.. Joseph Mengela would be proud! <---does that qualify? ;)

Tim-

OK, let's grant that you or anyone else can "fairly" hold the gays and the transexuals in disdain. Others can "fairly" hold the blacks, or Jews, or whites, or Americans in disdain. Does that give society permission to discriminate against them and treat them as second class citizens, unable to enjoy the rights and privileges you enjoy?

The comment you responded to was this: "I'm sorry if it bothers you that businesses who hold themselves open to the general public do not get to refuse to serve people who they are bigoted against." Public accommodation laws protect race (100% biological) and national origin (no choice there!) as well as religion (100% 'environmental). The amendment in question would add LGBT to that list. I'm assuming you oppose public accommodation laws and would let each business refuse service to anyone? Or why do you think it's OK to protect religion and race, but not sexual orientation, other than your own biases?

Back
Top Bottom