• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CHAOS in DC

APACHERAT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Chaos in DC as man sets himself on FIRE on the Mall a day after woman was shot dead after ramming White House gates

•Man was sitting on the National Mall when witnesses saw him douse himself with gasoline and light himself on fire
•First responders were on the scene in minutes and said that he was conscious and breathing before being airlifted to a local hospital
•Comes one day after police shot and killed a woman after she rammed her car into a barricade near the White House

(just weeks after shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard where the suspected was quoted being unhappy with what was happening to America)

A man reportedly set himself on fire on the National Mall this afternoon and was airlifted to a hospital.
Police were called to respond to the emergency at 4.24pm and the fire was put out.
The man has not been named, but DC Police reportedly said that he was conscious and breathing.

Witnesses said that they saw him sitting on the Mall, dousing himself with gasoline which he had in a gas canister.

Some reports say that two male bystanders initially tried to put the fire out using their own shirts while others put the number of Good Samaritans at closer to five or six people...

The man's exact motivations have not been reported but the chosen location hints that it was a demonstration of sorts..."<

Chaos in DC: Man sets himself on FIRE at Washington's National Mall | Mail Online

Remembering history when a nations citizens live under a corrupt regime, they go to the extremes.
article-browne-obit.jpg

Saigon, South Vietnam 1963, Buddhist Monk in protest of the corrupt Diem regime sets himself on fire.

Breaking news, violence happens in DC every day. Ever been to Southeast or Anacostia? But people only pretend to give a **** when it serves their purposes and when it happens in nice touristy parts of DC.

Yeah Apache.....I seen this. Immediately brought back that image and then reminded me of how the Arab Spring began in Tunisia.

article-2444731-188764AD00000578-915_634x516.jpg

article-2444731-188764A000000578-635_634x394.jpg

The incident took place near the Air and Space Museum and he was transported to MedStar Washington Health Center

Read more: Chaos in DC: Man sets himself on FIRE at Washington's National Mall | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Remembering history when a nations citizens live under a corrupt regime, they go to the extremes.

Cheap shot. That was a Buddhist monk protesting war.
But you knew that.

Breaking news, violence happens in DC every day. Ever been to Southeast or Anacostia? But people only pretend to give a **** when it serves their purposes and when it happens in nice touristy parts of DC.

Washington DC like the South Side of Chicago are violent places. But the last time I remember an American setting himself on fire in protest was in front of the Pentagon during the Vietnam war.

It's interesting that the last three significant violent events to happen in Washington DC over the past few weeks has an Obama connection.

Well I have to run halfway down the mountain to notify the owner of a mountain lodge that the U.S. Forest Service received orders from DC and just closed down a highway leading from L.A. to cut down on the business that the lodge would be getting this weekend. Obama is going way out of the way to inflict an inconvenience on Americans just because he can't get 100 % of his budget. It's just pathetic, what say you ?

Cheap shot. That was a Buddhist monk protesting war.
But you knew that.

He wasn't protesting a war but the corrupt Diem regime and the Catholics being the minority running the government.

In 1963 the war was still in the communist terrorist stage. The real war would start a couple years later when the NVA would enter the RVN.

Washington DC like the South Side of Chicago are violent places. But the last time I remember an American setting himself on fire in protest was in front of the Pentagon during the Vietnam war.

It's interesting that the last three significant violent events to happen in Washington DC over the past few weeks has an Obama connection.

Well I have to run halfway down the mountain to notify the owner of a mountain lodge that the U.S. Forest Service received orders from DC and just closed down a highway leading from L.A. to cut down on the business that the lodge would be getting this weekend. Obama is going way out of the way to inflict an inconvenience on Americans just because he can't get 100 % of his budget. It's just pathetic, what say you ?

Greetings, APACHERAT!! :2wave:

:agree: It's pathetic! Further, calling leaders to the White House to inform them he was not going to negotiate seemed arrogant, when a phone call would have sufficed...especially when everyone concerned had already figured that out! I guess it made him feel important? And there are some that still blame the Repubs for the shutdown? Unreal! :wow:

Chaos in DC as man sets himself on FIRE on the Mall a day after woman was shot dead after ramming White House gates

•Man was sitting on the National Mall when witnesses saw him douse himself with gasoline and light himself on fire
•First responders were on the scene in minutes and said that he was conscious and breathing before being airlifted to a local hospital
•Comes one day after police shot and killed a woman after she rammed her car into a barricade near the White House

(just weeks after shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard where the suspected was quoted being unhappy with what was happening to America)

A man reportedly set himself on fire on the National Mall this afternoon and was airlifted to a hospital.
Police were called to respond to the emergency at 4.24pm and the fire was put out.
The man has not been named, but DC Police reportedly said that he was conscious and breathing.

Witnesses said that they saw him sitting on the Mall, dousing himself with gasoline which he had in a gas canister.

Some reports say that two male bystanders initially tried to put the fire out using their own shirts while others put the number of Good Samaritans at closer to five or six people...

The man's exact motivations have not been reported but the chosen location hints that it was a demonstration of sorts..."<

Chaos in DC: Man sets himself on FIRE at Washington's National Mall | Mail Online

View attachment 67154582

Saigon, South Vietnam 1963, Buddhist Monk in protest of the corrupt Diem regime sets himself on fire.

Hmm, first I heard of this. I have been too busy playing with the computer and watching the Braves. I suppose unless the guy lives or left something behind to state why he did this, no one will know. But I bet the media and both political parties will be pointing blame and probably blaming the shutdown of government.

He wasn't protesting a war but the corrupt Diem regime and the Catholics being the minority running the government.

In 1963 the war was still in the communist terrorist stage. The real war would start a couple years later when the NVA would enter the RVN.

In 1963 the war in Indochina had been hardcore for ten years or more. It's not all about you, ya know. The Vietnamese people had endured war in their homeland like you or no other American can understand.

First Repubs cheer for Putin and Syria and Iran.
Then, they criticize Obama for talking to them which didn't happen much last decade.
Now they're cheering dubious reports that hurt America.
Then they act indignant when called TEAterrorists.

Greetings, APACHERAT!! :2wave:

:agree: It's pathetic! Further, calling leaders to the White House to inform them he was not going to negotiate seemed arrogant, when a phone call would have sufficed...especially when everyone concerned had already figured that out! I guess it made him feel important? And there are some that still blame the Repubs for the shutdown? Unreal! :wow:

Good evening Polgara. :2wave:

Obama only uses his phone in the Ovala Office for staged photo ops. Have you noticed there's always a tea cup without a saucer sitting on the desk ? Or maybe it's pantywaist coffee cup ? I drink my coffee from a coffee mug.

Obama coming right out saying he wont negotiate with the Republicans is unpresidential. That's suppose to be his job.

You have to wonder if instead of attending his high school government class Obama was truant smoking pot and drinking beer > Because he doesn't seem to know how the federal government is structured and that their are three branches of government.

Congress writes the laws and the President is suppose to enforce those laws.

The President submits a budget and Congress picks through the budget and decides what parts of the President's budget that Congress will appropriate funds for. I've been told it's something to do with check and balances.

The insanity is merely visible lately.

We didn't get a $17,000,000,000,000 debt because people in Washington weren't nuts.

Hmm, first I heard of this. I have been too busy playing with the computer and watching the Braves. I suppose unless the guy lives or left something behind to state why he did this, no one will know. But I bet the media and both political parties will be pointing blame and probably blaming the shutdown of government.

The last I heard, the guy survived. With this one we should eventually hear what was behind it. But this guy will probably have a morphine monkey on his back by the time he can talk. I wonder if he has insurance ? I don't think Obamacare has kicked in 100 % yet ?

I know why the Buddhist Monk set himself on fire in Saigon in 63. I know why that beard scratching liberal set himself on fire in front of the Pentagon while McNamara looked through his office window.

But if you're trying to send a message, it doesn't do any good unless the people know what the message is.

I can't figure it out, it's as if most don't give a ####.

Consider what happens when the State controls Public Education, generation after generation.

We got a republic because Americans, especially successful Americans questioned and challenged Authority.

However, any ruling class has a vested interest in a compliant citizenry. It stands to reason that they very traits that made us a free people would be culled out of the people at large when the political upper class has the means to accomplish that. And so, we have an electorate now that eschews thought, analysis, individuality, exceptionalism and arithmetic.

The last I heard, the guy survived. With this one we should eventually hear what was behind it. But this guy will probably have a morphine monkey on his back by the time he can talk. I wonder if he has insurance ? I don't think Obamacare has kicked in 100 % yet ?

I know why the Buddhist Monk set himself on fire in Saigon in 63. I know why that beard scratching liberal set himself on fire in front of the Pentagon while McNamara looked through his office window.

But if you're trying to send a message, it doesn't do any good unless the people know what the message is.

Exactly,

Good evening Polgara. :2wave:

Obama only uses his phone in the Ovala Office for staged photo ops. Have you noticed there's always a tea cup without a saucer sitting on the desk ? Or maybe it's pantywaist coffee cup ? I drink my coffee from a coffee mug.

Obama coming right out saying he wont negotiate with the Republicans is unpresidential. That's suppose to be his job.

You have to wonder if instead of attending his high school government class Obama was truant smoking pot and drinking beer > Because he doesn't seem to know how the federal government is structured and that their are three branches of government.

Congress writes the laws and the President is suppose to enforce those laws.

The President submits a budget and Congress picks through the budget and decides what parts of the President's budget that Congress will appropriate funds for. I've been told it's something to do with check and balances.

... that's certainly not my President you're talking about, but I've always preferred strong executives who rule from the center.

If the Founding Fathers had wanted the President to be a tool of the legislators, they wouldn't have given him the power of veto.

If you want to refight the Vietnam war, you can either bring this thread back to life. < http://www.debatepolitics.com/military/170304-why-did-america-lose-vietnam-war.html >

Or start a new thread.

Nah, just sayin' that an anti-war protest in Vietnam in 1963 didn't necessarily have to be all about you and the USMC. Those people had endured war long before the first shiny American boot touched their soil.
And it's 'way wrong to compare some nutjob in DC with a Buddhist monk in Saigon.

Nah, just sayin' that an anti-war protest in Vietnam in 1963 didn't necessarily have to be all about you and the USMC. Those people had endured war long before the first shiny American boot touched their soil.
And it's 'way wrong to compare some nutjob in DC with a Buddhist monk in Saigon.

You're either trying to hijack a thread or it's a sever cases of thread drift.

The topic of the thread is about the chaos in our nations capital today not the chaos that took place in Saigon fifty years ago.

Too be fair, guy setting self on fire is a bit of an anomaly.

View attachment 67154582

Though I think it is a bit silly and he should have had some manifesto and message made before doing such a thing, this was at least a non-violent way of protest for whatever his goals were. It may seem chaotic to a person trying to make drama, but really it seems the guy did not actually cause chaos because he could have done something much more dangerous and harmful. Seems pretty in control to me to light yourself on fire on purpose.

Seems pretty in control to me to light yourself on fire on purpose.

I think this was well planned out. With the government shut down no way was someone going to be ticketed and fined by the EPA for setting themself on fire.

But I find it disturbing that if this was an act of protest, it's only the second time in my life time to see it happen in America.

The use of the word "chaos" has more to do with Capital Hill in general today not Get Smart. :lol:

I think this was well planned out. With the government shut down no way was someone going to be ticketed and fined by the EPA for setting themself on fire.

But I find it disturbing that if this was an act of protest, it's only the second time in my life time to see it happen in America.

The use of the word "chaos" has more to do with Capital Hill in general today not Get Smart. :lol:

Well, if you are really worried about it you should talk about soothing your baby.

Back
Top Bottom