• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Changing Views.

WilliamJB

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It's often said that debate is pointless because "neither side is going to change their minds." While there's probably some truth in this, I can say for my part that debates have, on occasion, changed my mind on some things.

For example:

I used to be a staunch supporter of gun control until the sheer weight of argument and statistics forced me to re-evaluate that position.

On the other side of the spectrum, I used to be much more fiscally conservative than I am today. Until I realized that, like it or not, one of two groups is going to have a significant amount of control over my life, either a corporation, or a government, and I'd rather it be the group I can toss out every 2-4 years.

I'm curious about others' opinion-changing experiences.

I cant point to specific examples, but doing this causes constant shift and modification of my views. 99% of the reason I'm here is to have my own positions challenged so I can see my own weaknesses by people intentionally trying to find them who wont hold back. If I see a genuine weakness, I examine it and see if it's systemic or simply a matter of interpretation and act accordingly.

I cant think of anything that I will NEVER change my mind about, if I make a statement or stand by a position, it's because the synthesis of my moral and intellectual faculties and resources have come together to tell me that, at that moment, that is the best position to take.

I'm pro-gun control and anti-capital punishment, but I don't have real strong views on these issues. I think I'm right, but I don't know, with 100% certainty, that I'm right.
I can't say I'd never change my mind on them, the way I can say, with absolute certainty, that I will always be staunchly pro-choice on the abortion issue.

Last edited:
I've become more in favor of less restrictions on guns and think states should have a lot more power than I thought before.

Back
Top Bottom