• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Changing Hearts & Minds

YellowJ

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I couldn't find anything on embedding YouTube videos, so I hope this works.

This was my first YouTube video and I filmed it specifically to spark a conversation around the second amendement. If the message connect with you, please like and share with others. I'm just an average American trying to do my part.

https://youtu.be/bzBLSaPTOYQ

When you're writing a post, there are a number of buttons above the text box. If you click on the one that looks like a small segment of a film reel, you can embed a video by pasting it's url into the box that pops up.

Also, kudos for starting a YouTube channel for journalism. Consider me a subscriber.

This was my first YouTube video and I filmed it specifically to spark a conversation around the second amendment.

Your message is incredibly alienating for me - unfortunately.

I want to be a free citizen. That's what I love about America. I don't want to fear subjection, or have my choices, life or rights constrained or limited in any unfair manner.
Which is the threat that your guns pose to me. There's no protection or comfort radiating from you to me - I have no idea of your mental health, your intentions or thoughts. For all I know, you're a loony toon here to shoot up a school.

An armed citizenry is a citizenry that is fully empowered to destroy or harm the lives of their fellow citizens. I reject that. I don't need to live my life in a hyper-militaristic state, having my freedoms constrained by the threats of others, where my or my family's safety is staked on how well I can handle weapons.

Heck no.

For me a life free of violence and of threat > tyranny of guns.

Don't you have the right to bear arms as part of a government organized militia only?

If so what militia do you belong to?

What is the chance that you will be in a situation where having guns all over you will be a good thing and the chance of accidentally shooting your own balls off or shooting one of your kids?

Any chance at all that one of your kids gets drunk when he, or she, is 15 and plays with the assault rifles and kills somebody?

Any chance at all that a bad man will work out where your house is and know that there are lots of easily salable guns in it and break in when you are out?

Any chance that that bad man will do it when you are asleep and come into your bedroom with your guns?

Don't you have the right to bear arms as part of a government organized militia only?

First off, that interpretation of the second amendment is not supported by this, or any other set of Supreme Court Justices in American history, so your argument is flawed from the start. Second, I don't need any other reason to explain why your argument doesn't work besides that.

I want to be a free citizen. That's what I love about America. I don't want to fear subjection, or have my choices, life or rights constrained or limited in any unfair manner.
Which is the threat that your guns pose to me. There's no protection or comfort radiating from you to me - I have no idea of your mental health, your intentions or thoughts. For all I know, you're a loony toon here to shoot up a school.

An armed citizenry is a citizenry that is fully empowered to destroy or harm the lives of their fellow citizens. I reject that. I don't need to live my life in a hyper-militaristic state, having my freedoms constrained by the threats of others, where my or my family's safety is staked on how well I can handle weapons.

Heck no.

You would be better off in a city with more gun rights, given how staggering Chicago's gun violence is compared to how difficult it is to legally purchase a gun there.

Heck no.

I've never seen anyone state flat out that they don't like people bearing arms because they are afraid of the people. I've always suspected that's what is behind promotion of gun confiscation, but I don't recall actually seeing that stated before.

It's a shame that a person would be that fearful of other citizens in general. Some areas with the highest level of gun possession are also the most peaceful, so it's not the guns per se.

Removing guns does not necessarily remove the danger of violent death. Several people were just killed or injured in London by someone using a knife.

There's no question that most of the violence in the US on a per capita basis is in inner city areas. Much of this is not crime or gang related but just stupid poor anger management stuff involving young men. Maybe we ought to outlaw testosterone, but it seems pretty clear that frisking young men on the streets in these areas looking for guns saved a lot of lives and was the right thing to do. Confiscating guns from law abiding sportsmen and the like is not the right thing to do and would do nothing to reduce violent deaths.

You would be better off in a city with more gun rights, given how staggering Chicago's gun violence is compared to how difficult it is to legally purchase a gun there.
It's the cities with gun rights that harm Chicago.

I'm aware, the guns in Chicago aren't purchased in the city. And yet those cities the guns originate in don't have crime rates anywhere near Chicago's. Illegally armed citizens tend to have a lot of courage when they know most of their law-abiding fellows are unarmed.

I've never seen anyone state flat out that they don't like people bearing arms because they are afraid of the people. I've always suspected that's what is behind promotion of gun confiscation, but I don't recall actually seeing that stated before.

It's a shame that a person would be that fearful of other citizens in general. Some areas with the highest level of gun possession are also the most peaceful, so it's not the guns per se.

Removing guns does not necessarily remove the danger of violent death. Several people were just killed or injured in London by someone using a knife.

There's no question that most of the violence in the US on a per capita basis is in inner city areas. Much of this is not crime or gang related but just stupid poor anger management stuff involving young men. Maybe we ought to outlaw testosterone, but it seems pretty clear that frisking young men on the streets in these areas looking for guns saved a lot of lives and was the right thing to do. Confiscating guns from law abiding sportsmen and the like is not the right thing to do and would do nothing to reduce violent deaths.
Being oppressed, is being oppressed, regardless of the source. Guns are tools that more efficiently transform the intent to kill or harm into action than most other accessible tools. If the citizenry HAD to be armed for whatever reason, I'd prefer them to have less efficient tools - like knives.

Just as I'd prefer government defense forces to be limited to conventional tools, rather than let's say, chemical or biological weapons.
If there's ever a threat from a despotic government, I don't want it to come barreling at me in the form of nerve gas or bombs filled with smallpox.

That is a pretty obtuse thing to say. If that is the case, why don't those cities have the same problems? That is if guns really are the cause....

Heck no.

You might want to move out of Chicago then

What is the chance that you will be in a situation where having guns all over you will be a good thing and the chance of accidentally shooting your own balls off or shooting one of your kids?

Any chance at all that one of your kids gets drunk when he, or she, is 15 and plays with the assault rifles and kills somebody?

Any chance at all that a bad man will work out where your house is and know that there are lots of easily salable guns in it and break in when you are out?

Any chance that that bad man will do it when you are asleep and come into your bedroom with your guns?

the right is one the founders believed existed from the dawn of man and before government. SO to claim the right requires membership in a government organized body is idiotic. . You appear afraid of guns and ignorant of how they are used.

that's beyond stupid. cities don't have rights, people do. and its the idiotic gun bans passed by Bannerrhoids that cause the problems. Why do you pretend to be a libertarian when you really hate freedom?

I want to start off by saying "Thank you" to everyone that has posted a reply to my message and especially to those that subscribed to my channel.

I welcome the debate, and I stand for everyone's right to agree or disagree with the need to own firearms - that's part of what makes America great!

I hope even those that disagree with the message in the video will take another look and check out some of the history I talked about. Being open minded in politics is not the most easy thing. But I can say from experience that having the sincerity to see flaws in those that share your opinion really helps you remove the wall between those that you disagree with you.

The Media (all media) wants us to be divided because it helps them retain control of the dialog. I challenge you to find someone this week that you disagree with and spend a little bit of time with them, take 'em to lunch - and don't even talk about politics - talk about your lives.

I want to start off by saying "Thank you" to everyone that has posted a reply to my message and especially to those that subscribed to my channel.

I welcome the debate, and I stand for everyone's right to agree or disagree with the need to own firearms - that's part of what makes America great!

I hope even those that disagree with the message in the video will take another look and check out some of the history I talked about. Being open minded in politics is not the most easy thing. But I can say from experience that having the sincerity to see flaws in those that share your opinion really helps you remove the wall between those that you disagree with you.

The Media (all media) wants us to be divided because it helps them retain control of the dialog. I challenge you to find someone this week that you disagree with and spend a little bit of time with them, take 'em to lunch - and don't even talk about politics - talk about your lives.

Excellent beginning and here is a tip as demonstrated in this thread. The admission of what has been claimed many times yet never believed is the fear that drives gun control support. Nobody addresses this. They all want to sell guns, glorify guns, sports, hunting or try to instil the more guns mantra. None of these are suitable for any dialogue with citizens exposed to the fearmongering of gun control. That approach is adversarial and builds more fear and entrenchment rather than building any meaningful outcome.

I know it may sound crazy but ultimately both sides of this arguments are concerned with safety. I don't mean gun safety I mean personal safety. That means for firearm owners and organisations the focus has to be public safety which is equal to personal safety. Nor is the answer firearm training, safety firearm locks, safe keeping or anything like that.

Why do you own a gun? For some it is a tool and nothing more but for a huge percentage it is personal safety and that of family and friends that is the motivator. Why is a firearm as dangerous as some believe them to be the best form of defence? Why should anyone choose a firearm as a means of protection when gun controls claims you will be killed with it as criminals are better than you? Are guns dangerous or difficult to operate..... There are many questions that can be covered that the media never does that are far more valuable to firearm owners who should really learn to present the good side of firearm ownership as it relates to public safety. People want to feel safe. Gun controls tells them how to be safe. Is gun control the only opinion?

BTW the media has to show a profit and that means they print what sells. Few are funded so they can do what they want. That does not mean bias does not exist. There is a message in that for firearm owners and organisations who should be taking a leadership role but never do with a few exceptions. One of the nicest is GOA who mostly have it right.

No it's Chicagoans that harm Chicago. you people don't get to blame us for your problems. You don't want to work on problems so you scapegoat rural residents. how rich.

No it's Chicagoans that harm Chicago. you people don't get to blame us for your problems. You don't want to work on problems so you scapegoat rural residents. how rich.

These clowns can never explain why the cities without idiotic gun control laws have a fraction of the crime the shining examples of gun control have. The excuse it is other cities fault has to be the most idiotic example of trying to weasel out of the truth there is. I guess when you allow your mind to be the vessel of gun control lies anything becomes possible.

Being oppressed, is being oppressed, regardless of the source. Guns are tools that more efficiently transform the intent to kill or harm into action than most other accessible tools. If the citizenry HAD to be armed for whatever reason, I'd prefer them to have less efficient tools - like knives.

Up close I worry about knives as they are far better than guns. Only an idiot thinks a knife is a lessor weapon. It's funny but do you suppose knives transform anything? Can you explain the power of guns to transform intent, how does it work? I want to get a patent on it so I can charge arms manufactures for using this force. I'll cut you in if you explain it. We could be very rich. Does it work for ammunition as well since I hear there are calls to limit it? That could be a real money spinner.

Just as I'd prefer government defense forces to be limited to conventional tools, rather than let's say, chemical or biological weapons.
If there's ever a threat from a despotic government, I don't want it to come barreling at me in the form of nerve gas or bombs filled with smallpox.

Do you suppose wars are fought with Queensberry rules?

Would it be true to say fear drives your demands?

You mean silly laws banning guns aren't preventing criminals from using guns?

the stupid chicago laws create a black hole that sucks in thousands of illegal guns. nearby areas where guns could be legally bought and owned by honest citizens, don't have near, nor have near, the crime problems. Bannerrhoids always blame surrounding areas for high gun crime rates in Bannerrhoid areas but those freer areas never had near the same level of problems as those areas where honest people are disarmed and criminals only worry about other armed criminals-not good citizens

We have not named ours officially, just a band of brothers and sisters.

Zero chance, we know how and when to use our tools.

Zero chance, mine are grown up and grew up around them and wee taught proper handling and safety, they practice the same themselves with their children.

Again zero chance, dogs, three, large and selective about those allowed in without us. Guns are locked up when we are gone.

Again zero, dogs will alert and the fun begins, it will not be us that is on the wrong end of the situation.

What about you, someone breaks in at night what you going to do plead with them to just take what they want and do not hurt anyone? Good luck with that.

I'm amazed that different types of people, libertarian-left, libertarian-right, conservative, ..., unite here under the love to their guns. They firmly reject anything that even remotely has to do with controlling gun violence.

With all those individual killings and massive killings by guns, they defend guns, and assault weapons. Understand you love your guns. But for all the deadly consequences out there, for many many lives lost, "... guns don't kill people", "... man was killed by a knife"... Give me a break

Back
Top Bottom