• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Change name of Liberal Group?

Should we change the name of Liberal Group to "Progressive"?

• Total voters

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The term for liberal has increasingly become derogitory. Debatepolitics do not want to disenfranchise a political position from anyone. Being labeled a "liberal" may be the reason why we only have one person in that group.

What are your thoughts?

Progressive is merely a euphemism for liberal. At one time in this country conservate was a derogatory label. How about change it to progressive/liberal instead. Maybe then we'll get some real liberals here instead of someone pretending to be liberal? Perhaps "progressive" is the way to go. :?:

There is a negative connotation for both liberals and conservatives, it all depends on what side of the fence you are on.

Just like there is a negative connotation in "milk" to a lactose intolerant person :p

Why don't we just quit labeling ourselves and let our words and actions speak for themselves. Maybe we should do it when dealing with our presidential parties, instead of dividing america into red and blue and forcing the people to pick one extreme or the other

Proud to be a citizen of the Divided States of America!

Progressive is the PC (politically correct term), but you know, just leave it as is cause being liberal is a badge of honor in my eyes.

ShamMol said:
Progressive is the PC (politically correct term), but you know, just leave it as is cause being liberal is a badge of honor in my eyes.

a badge of honor in my eyes
:cool:

Well... we compensated both positions.

The name of the group is actually "Liberal/Progressive". :)

Don'tForgetMe, go into your "USER CP" (user control panel) under "group memberships" and add yourself to the group - if you want.

Why change the name at all? What big difference would that make? And I label myself as a Independent. I really do not think any person, that is "PROGRESSIVE", could only be liberal. I am liberal on some issues, conservative on others. The problems will being only one or the other, is it is a form of ideology, (that never works). This has been "liberals" down fall, and their inability to be taken seriously. Ideology, leaves no room for compromise. And with this diverse culture we live in, there always have to be room for compromise and change. Also, we now live in a world with the threat of terrorists attacks, so we may have to institute policies, that are not favorable, but confronts today's issues. Compromise. Even the democrats and Republicans, join forces on a lot of less say, unfavorable policies, for the greater good. Liberals, more than democrats and republicans, lack that quality. And as we move forward, we need compromise, we need these political groups to work together. And stop all this back-biting and finger pointing.

Ideology, leaves no room for compromise. And with this diverse culture we live in, there always have to be room for compromise and change. Also, we now live in a world with the threat of terrorists attacks, so we may have to institute policies, that are not favorable, but confronts today's issues. Compromise. Even the democrats and Republicans, join forces on a lot of less say, unfavorable policies, for the greater good. Liberals, more than democrats and republicans, lack that quality. And as we move forward, we need compromise, we need these political groups to work together. And stop all this back-biting and finger pointing.
Very good point Connie. I find myself defending Republicans from attacks rather than debating the issue. The liberals in Washington never seem to want to compromise so they just say no regardless of the plan.
A liberal is not a progressive so liberal/progressive is an oxymoron anyway.

I don't see Liberal being used as a derogatory term except on FOXNews. And even there, only occasionally. I don't see any problem with the usergroup as-is.

Back
Top Bottom