• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Change and Experience

Peralin

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"Senator Obama does represent change. Senator Clinton has experience. Change and experience. With me, you get both." -- Bill Richardson, quote from Richardson Stands Out In Latest Democratic Debate - Local News Story - KOAT Albuquerque

Richardson said this during the Iowa debate at Drake University earlier this week, and I think he makes a good point. We shouldn't be satisfied with a President who will change America but doesn't have enough experience. Likewise, I don't think we should be satisfied with an experienced president if he or she doesn't make the changes that are promised in these debates. We need someone with experience who will move the country forward.

I do not support Obama because I don't think he is experienced enough. I like him as a person and think he would make a good candidate in 2012 or maybe 2016, but we can't afford to elect a man who lacks leadership experience. As Senator Dodd said, the next president is "not going to have time in January of '09 to get ready for this job." (quote from TheHill.com - Democratic candidates take aim at Obama) However, the one thing I really like about Obama is that I believe he will do what he promises. It seems like he is running for president because he wants to change America, not just because he wants the power of being president.

But Hillary doesn't cut it for me either. True, she has plenty of experience, and I don't doubt her leadership abilities. But is she really going to do the things she says she will? She may get us out of Iraq as promised, but do we really believe that she will bring about the widespread change that she promises us? I honestly don't trust her promises of change, so I'm not a Clinton supporter either.

I disagree with several of Richardson's views, including gun control and the death penalty, so I'm not a big supporter of him either. So tell me, who is the best man (or woman) for the job?

I only wish Biden and Dodd had a bit more support/money. I have more faith in these two men than I do any of the other candidates. But what do you think?

I like Richardson, even though I too disagree with some of his views (especially those on homosexuality).

Honestly, I like what Obama's been saying. He seems to be taking the common-sense and reason approach to a lot of policies, and that scores big points with me. Though he lacks experience at the federal level I think he has had enough experience to make a perfectly competent president.

Now wouldn't that be a change of pace...

Back
Top Bottom