• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Champs Banned

mixedmedia said:
You needn't be afraid. No such a thing exists. If there's any drama being created here I'm afraid it's not by the mod team.

I really don't know how it could, what with the diversity you have, the oversight, and the lengths you go to be fair and honest, I just think this is settled in my mind. I wish others were as convinced as I am, but I assume there will always be those who question your motives, no matter what evidence is given.:shrug:

vauge said:
I personally appreciate your opinion. I think your opinion is flawed at times, but your voice is always heard by me anyway. If within the rules, you may type whatever you wish. That is the overall goal anyway.

With that said, not sure it is realized how hard it is to get banned here at DP.
There are truely bells and whistles - discussion - warnings - requests and the like.

If I could (will not for privacy), I would copy a thread that is over 6 pages long on a mod discussion of if we should even "warn" a user. Granted it was a unique circumstance, and not clearly defined in the rules. In the end, a warning was not given. Took forever to come to that conclusion. That is just simple warning - imaging the suspend and ban requests!! lol

It takes a person willing to make a strong commitment to be a mod here.
We are often worse than ****ing lawyers (no offense to attorneys out there).

I was given some great advice from a mod friend of mine in the forum and he is not a Conservative as to if I started getting angry or pissed off at what I consider a stupid or outrageous post from one of my friends on the far left was to get up and walk around for a bit to cool down and I might respond a little better.....

I found it works.......Thank you Pacridge..........:cheers: Go Seahawks ;)

mixedmedia said:
You needn't be afraid. No such a thing exists. If there's any drama being created here I'm afraid it's not by the mod team.

True. The mods tend to work behind the scenes when there is an "issue" and thats how it should be. Besides, if there is ever a disagreement with how someone was moderated, I personally *know* that if you bring it up, your voice is considered and the mods are not above reconsidering their decisions.

jallman said:
True. The mods tend to work behind the scenes when there is an "issue" and thats how it should be. Besides, if there is ever a disagreement with how someone was moderated, I personally *know* that if you bring it up, your voice is considered and the mods are not above reconsidering their decisions.

Thank you, jallman. This whole situation with Champs couldn't be a plainer example of forum policy working as it should.

jallman said:
This is not direct to you, jallman, but I need to point something out...

Does anyone here think we LIKE Moderating people?(For all you idiots out there smirking...the answer is "no")...Believe me...any glee a Mod had during his/her first warning or thread merger wears off quick...

The best day here for a Moderator is when they don't have to act like a Moderator...

Every one started out the same way...forum member...Being part of the Mod Team is the "overtime" portion of the program...Mods would like nothing more than to jump into the debate everyday, but the job asks more of us...and we willingly accept...

cnredd said:
This is not direct to you, jallman, but I need to point something out...

Does anyone here think we LIKE Moderating people?(For all you idiots out there smirking...the answer is "no")...Believe me...any glee a Mod had during his/her first warning or thread merger wears off quick...

The best day here for a Moderator is when they don't have to act like a Moderator...

Every one started out the same way...forum member...Being part of the Mod Team is the "overtime" portion of the program...Mods would like nothing more than to jump into the debate everyday, but the job asks more of us...and we willingly accept...

hear hear..

Originally posted by Deegan:
I tried to warn the guy, but he obviously wouldn't listen to anyone, so he got the boot. See ya in a few months Champ, I know you'll be back
What are you talking about? He should be posting on your site within the week.

cnredd said:
I don't hold grudges and I don't carry ammunition...

Now that is what I would call an untrue statement.

Hoot, I am one of your biggest fans. :2wave:

Deegan said:
I think you're contradicting yourself here.

First you suggest you don't care, and nothing said here bothers you, yet this banning did, and you have expressed that. Next, you say that a bias is present, yet you suggest we vote on moderators, will that not bring much more bias in to the forum? Finally, it's quite obvious that you often times disagree with cnredd, and you would like to see him not moderate this forum, is that just not the argument you were attempting to make against him?

That said, I don't find what Champs did that awful, but it was the many times he repeatedly broke the rules that were the final straw. You can't just ignore rules, then expect to not suffer a consequence, this is what you are failing to realize. I think he was given more then enough warning as to what would happen, but he couldn't change his style, and it's indeed his style that got him banned. You may want to learn from this, as I can certainly see why you like Champs, you're just like him, only you're not here as much.

Deegan, you can't mean that. Hoot is a very diplomatic debater. Champs, however, is only sometimes diplomatic. How can you say that Hoot is "just like" Champs?

Despite what some may think of my opinions, I appreciate reading everyone's thoughts on this matter.

Just one question....

Is it true that Robodon has now been banned/suspended?!

WTF is going on here?

aps said:
Deegan, you can't mean that. Hoot is a very diplomatic debater. Champs, however, is only sometimes diplomatic. How can you say that Hoot is "just like" Champs?
I agree. Hoot is nothing like Champs.

Deegan said:
First you suggest you don't care, and nothing said here bothers you, yet this banning did, and you have expressed that.

I believe my exact words were nothing anyone SAYS TO ME bothers me. If someone calls me a dumbass for one of my views, I won't lose a seconds sleep over it. However, when someone is banned, no one is saying anything directly to me...I usually find out about it after the fact.

Perhaps you mods shouldn't be hiding behind closed doors? Maybe BEFORE someone is banned, you could create a public forum saying...."We believe so and so should be suspended for the following reasons...anyone who wishes to express disagreement has 3 days/one week/ whatever/ to present arguments, or support, to be taken under consideration, BEFORE the ban is to take place."

Deegan said:
Next, you say that a bias is present, yet you suggest we vote on moderators, will that not bring much more bias in to the forum? Finally, it's quite obvious that you often times disagree with cnredd, and you would like to see him not moderate this forum, is that just not the argument you were attempting to make against him?

I said that I suspect a bias has been slowly creeping into this forum over the past year. I have nothing against cnredd. I agree he comes from a different political background, but that's why I'm here. I want to read differing views. Who knows? I may learn something?

I fail to see how a private vote can bring more bias into the system?

And Aps...thanks for the kind words, you're a sweetheart.

Hoot said:
Perhaps you mods shouldn't be hiding behind closed doors? Maybe BEFORE someone is banned, you could create a public forum saying...."We believe so and so should be suspended for the following reasons...anyone who wishes to express disagreement has 3 days/one week/ whatever/ to present arguments, or support, to be taken under consideration, BEFORE the ban is to take place."

On initial thought, that is a grand idea - I like!

After a second I thought, how would we keep it from being another 'basement' worthy thread?

Hoot said:
Perhaps you mods shouldn't be hiding behind closed doors?
Consider the reasons why you favor a secret ballot. They're somwhat similar to the thinking that influenced the decision to keep mod deliberations private.

Hoot said:
Maybe BEFORE someone is banned, you could create a public forum saying...."We believe so and so should be suspended for the following reasons...anyone who wishes to express disagreement has 3 days/one week/ whatever/ to present arguments, or support, to be taken under consideration, BEFORE the ban is to take place."
We often spend longer than three days deliberating.

Why add more moving parts?

aps said:

Well that has not been my experience with Hoot, he knows what I'm talking about, but I'm not surprised you can't see it, as he is often times in agreement with you. I just don't appreciate his arrogance, and that is why I see him in the same light that I see Champs. As I said, he is certainly more restrained, and does not post near as much, but he has a tone that is present when debating, I just don't like it. This very nonsense about changing the rules to suit him is a fine example. He obviously can't see the tone Champs brings to the debate, as he obviously does not see a problem with it even if he does. This is why I compared the two, and I would not have said it if I didn't mean it.

Hoot said:
I believe my exact words were nothing anyone SAYS TO ME bothers me. If someone calls me a dumbass for one of my views, I won't lose a seconds sleep over it. However, when someone is banned, no one is saying anything directly to me...I usually find out about it after the fact.

I said that I suspect a bias has been slowly creeping into this forum over the past year. I have nothing against cnredd. I agree he comes from a different political background, but that's why I'm here. I want to read differing views. Who knows? I may learn something?

I fail to see how a private vote can bring more bias into the system?

And Aps...thanks for the kind words, you're a sweetheart.

You don't see how voting mods out would bring more bias? Well, you're not as smart as I have been giving you credit for, of course it would. Mods would be constantly in fear of hurting anyones feelings, this would cause them to give more pause when considering actions that must be taken. It would also turn this in to a popularity contest, "vote for me, I won't risk anyones precious sensibilities" that just wouldn't be feasible. Private or not, if you do your job, even in an exceptional manner, you will still anger a number of people, as shown in this very thread.

Deegan said:
Well that has not been my experience with Hoot, he knows what I'm talking about, but I'm not surprised you can't see it, as he is often times in agreement with you. I just don't appreciate his arrogance, and that is why I see him in the same light that I see Champs. As I said, he is certainly more restrained, and does not post near as much, but he has a tone that is present when debating, I just don't like it. This very nonsense about changing the rules to suit him is a fine example. He obviously can't see the tone Champs brings to the debate, as he obviously does not see a problem with it even if he does. This is why I compared the two, and I would not have said it if I didn't mean it.

Okay. I understand what you're saying. This is exactly how I feel about cnredd's debating skills (see bold and underline above).

aps said:
Okay. I understand what you're saying. This is exactly how I feel about cnredd's debating skills (see bold and underline above).

So do many debaters on this board have an arrogant tone when debating. Including Deegan.....he even admitted it to me.

Hey, Deegan!! :2wave:

mixedmedia said:
So do many debaters on this board have an arrogant tone when debating. Including Deegan.....he even admitted it to me.

But some of us deserve to be arrogant. ;)

*joke*

mixedmedia said:

Sometimes people think I am taking an arrogant tone, but that is just how I write. I have been told that my writing style sometimes is very anachronistic when I get going.

Truthfully, my favorite debating tactic is to make my statement with no room for argument, and than maintain an infuriating calm until the opposition wears themselves down enough to easily demoralize the hell out of him. I mean, jab the point home along with implying that he is arguing a futile stance and then dismissing him with a tone of finality.

Is that arrogant? :mrgreen:

jallman said:
Sometimes people think I am taking an arrogant tone, but that is just how I write. I have been told that my writing style sometimes is very anachronistic when I get going.

Truthfully, my favorite debating tactic is to make my statement with no room for argument, and than maintain an infuriating calm until the opposition wears themselves down enough to easily demoralize the hell out of him. I mean, jab the point home along with implying that he is arguing a futile stance and then dismissing him with a tone of finality.

Is that arrogant? :mrgreen:

Actually, I think I can be a bit arrogant, too, at times. :3oops:

But most of the time just pretentious. :mrgreen:

mixedmedia said:
Actually, I think I can be a bit arrogant, too, at times. :3oops:

But most of the time just pretentious. :mrgreen:

Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble,
When you're perfect in every way.
I can't stand to look in the mirror,
I get better lookin' each day.

To know me is to love me,
I must be a helluva man,
Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble,
But I'm douing the best that I can.
*******************************Mac Davis (?)

mixedmedia said:

Mixy, that was told to you in strict confidence, how dare you reveal my character defects, we are discussing Hoot!:shock: :3oops:

Of course we all have our moments, but I hope I come off as humble, much more then I show my tail.;)

Deegan said:
Mixy, that was told to you in strict confidence, how dare you reveal my character defects, we are discussing Hoot!:shock: :3oops:

Of course we all have our moments, but I hope I come off as humble, much more then I show my tail.;)

Ummm.....no it wasn't, babe.....I think it was on one of those Ivan the Horrible threads.

Back
Top Bottom