• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chamber Receives At Least $885,000 From Over 80 Foreign Companies In Disclosed Donati

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Follow the link, the documentation is there.

Exclusive: Chamber Receives At Least $885,000 From Over 80 Foreign Companies In Disclosed Donations Alone

Last week, ThinkProgress published an exclusive story about the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s foreign fundraising operation. We noted the Chamber raises money from foreign-owned businesses for its 501(c)(6) entity, the same account that finances its unprecedented $75 million dollar partisan attack ad campaign. While the Chamber is notoriously secretive, the thrust of our story involved the disclosure of fundraising documents U.S. Chamber staffers had been distributing to solicit foreign (even state-owned) companies to donate directly to the Chamber’s 501(c)(6).

Re: Chamber Receives At Least $885,000 From Over 80 Foreign Companies In Disclosed Do

Follow the link, the documentation is there.

Exclusive: Chamber Receives At Least $885,000 From Over 80 Foreign Companies In Disclosed Donations Alone

Last week, ThinkProgress published an exclusive story about the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s foreign fundraising operation. We noted the Chamber raises money from foreign-owned businesses for its 501(c)(6) entity, the same account that finances its unprecedented $75 million dollar partisan attack ad campaign. While the Chamber is notoriously secretive, the thrust of our story involved the disclosure of fundraising documents U.S. Chamber staffers had been distributing to solicit foreign (even state-owned) companies to donate directly to the Chamber’s 501(c)(6).

Yes. They've already publicly stated (I posted it in another thread LINK) that they received less than 1% of their approx. $200,000,000 in funding via foreign contributions. So, essentially, your 'big scoop' is low balling it.:lamo

You DO realize they have no legal obligation to tell you who ANY of their contributions come from, right?

As for this...

We noted the Chamber raises money from foreign-owned businesses for its 501(c)(6) entity, the same account that finances its unprecedented $75 million dollar partisan attack ad campaign.
A 501(c)(6) is not an 'account', like a bank account. It's a non-profit, tax-exempt organization, specifically in this case, Business Leagues, Chambers of Commerce, Real Estate Boards, etc. Any of which can have 'different bank accounts' to maintain separation of monies. As for 'partisan attack ads', have you SEEN the ads the Dems are running?:roll:

Really, if that, and Axlerod's 'I don't have to prove what I say' is the best you have, I feel for you.:violin

Re: Chamber Receives At Least $885,000 From Over 80 Foreign Companies In Disclosed Do

Just wait.. .. ..just wait; you ain't seen nuttin' yet!

SCOTUS Ruling Spells Disaster for Political Transparency - Newsweek

The chamber says it does receive money from foreign sources, but that it amounts to only a small fraction of the chamber’s $200 million budget. The chamber says none of the foreign money is used in its ads, and no evidence has been produced to show otherwise. Federal Election Commission opinions state that organizations taking in foreign money may make political donations legally, so long as they have "a reasonable accounting method" to keep foreign money separate and have enough money from U.S. sources to cover the donations.
Considering the foreign money is less than 1% of their $200,000,000 funding, that would make it... let me see... $2,000,000 dollars.

This 'monstrous' partisan attack ad campaign is costing them (scrolls up to OP) $75,000,000.

So, $200,000,000 ,minus the $2,000,000 in foreign contributions, leaves... (carry the two, divide by pi) $198,000,000 left in non-foreign contributions. Sounds like that meets the FEC requirements about US sources to allow them to run political ads, even ones costing $75,000,000 dollars.:yawn:

You liberal weenies are gonna have to try much harder:mrgreen:

Yes. They've already publicly stated...that they received less than 1% of their approx. $200,000,000 in funding via foreign contributions.

And what percentage does it represent of their tax-exempt ad front's funding?

Considering the foreign money is less than 1% of their $200,000,000 funding, that would make it... let me see... $2,000,000 dollars.

This 'monstrous' partisan attack ad campaign is costing them (scrolls up to OP) $75,000,000.

So, $200,000,000 ,minus the $2,000,000 in foreign contributions, leaves... (carry the two, divide by pi) $198,000,000 left in non-foreign contributions. Sounds like that meets the FEC requirements about US sources to allow them to run political ads, even ones costing $75,000,000 dollars.:yawn:

You liberal weenies are gonna have to try much harder:mrgreen:

Please tell me why the Chamber shouldn't be required to open it books and reveal where the political donations are coming from? It seems to me that a decade earlier the right wing was all in a flutter about Gore getting donations from a Buddist temple. Hillary Clinton's donors have been questioned by the right as to the source. But now the right has the Chamber of Commerce to launder the money.

Please tell me why the Chamber shouldn't be required to open it books and reveal where the political donations are coming from? It seems to me that a decade earlier the right wing was all in a flutter about Gore getting donations from a Buddist temple. Hillary Clinton's donors have been questioned by the right as to the source. But now the right has the Chamber of Commerce to launder the money.

GOre was l ying when he claimed he was ignorant of a fund raiser or that "he had to pee" every time the lurid details were discussed
far different from the chamber.

Reactions: mpg

Please tell me why the Chamber shouldn't be required to open it books and reveal where the political donations are coming from?

I guess for the same reason Obama's 2008 campaign wasn't required to reveal their internet political donations... :shrug:

GOre was l ying when he claimed he was ignorant of a fund raiser or that "he had to pee" every time the lurid details were discussed
far different from the chamber.

How do you know the Chamber is telling the truth?

How do you know the Chamber is telling the truth?

I dont really care-and I doubt you do either. I find it interesting that dems claim to be the party of the common man yet they have all sorts of money from fat cats

Please tell me why the Chamber shouldn't be required to open it books and reveal where the political donations are coming from?

because that's the law, for one.
beause the intent of forcing them to open up political donations is to coerce and threaten individuals for another. like when congressional democrats threatened to release the names and addreses of where bank executives kept their families if they didn't turn back in their (legal) bonuses; it's brutal street-politics.

could you tell me why ThinkProgress, and other left-wing organizations (including others now making this charge) refuse to do the same?

Whovian said:

So, $200,000,000 ,minus the $2,000,000 in foreign contributions, leaves... (carry the two, divide by pi) $198,000,000 left in non-foreign contributions. Sounds like that meets the FEC requirements about US sources to allow them to run political ads, even ones costing $75,000,000 dollars.

You liberal weenies are gonna have to try much harder

Because they are not legally required to do so.

Open your personal books to me. PROVE you're not giving money to terrorist fronts.

Last edited:

Because they are not legally required to do so.
So you don't have a problem that the Chamber can launder money from foreign sources?

Open your personal books to me. PROVE you're not giving money to terrorist fronts.
If you had a need to know and the authority, you would not have a problem examining my books.

I can explain it in two words: Political Target.

Not that Obama or anyone in his administration would target anyone... like Koch Industries... for example.

I can explain it in two words: Political Target.

Not that Obama or anyone in his administration would target anyone... like Koch Industries... for example.

or fox news or rush limbaugh or john boehner or health insurance companies, or bank executives, or whoever the bad-guy-who-we-are-hoping-will-distract-you-from-our-utter-failure-in-office will be next week. :roll:

but it is cute how they jump when their ideological superiors tug on the strings. :D

So you don't have a problem that the Chamber can launder money from foreign sources?

If you had a need to know and the authority, you would not have a problem examining my books.

If there was even a slight bit of actual evidence that they were doing that, then they should be investigated. The only EVIDENCE so far, is Axlerod saying 'Can you prove they don't?' If that's what you consider evidence, I pray that you never become a lawyer or a judge in this country.

If there was even a slight bit of actual evidence that they were doing that, then they should be investigated. The only EVIDENCE so far, is Axlerod saying 'Can you prove they don't?'
The information in the OP meets that standard, imo.

If that's what you consider evidence, I pray that you never become a lawyer or a judge in this country.
That looks like an ad homonym to me.

there is a straight forward fix to ending our nation's greatest problem .... eliminating government being for sale to the highest bidder

ALL campaign contributions/expenditures MUST be transparent and posted on the internet
ANY contribution to a political candidate or on their behalf will be viewed as an illegal bribe if they are not timly and publicly posted on that designated internet site
ALL contributions MUST be made by a registered voter
if the registered voter cannot expect the candidate's name to appear on their ballot then they CANNOT make a legal contribution to/on behalf of that candidate

since foreign entities, unions, corporations, etc. cannot be registered voters, they will no longer be able to buy political influence (in the form of campaign contributions .... presently these are nothing other than legal bribes)
since the contribution must be for a prospective candidate whose name would potentially be on the registered voter's ballot, this prevents the wealthy from making contributions - buying influence - in election races in which they are unable to vote
these measures - with a ceiling on contributions - would return political power to the people and away from those of means, including foreign and corporate interests

The information in the OP meets that standard, imo.

That looks like an ad homonym to me.

Wow.. in your mind, the fact that the CofC raises foreign money PROVES they are laundering money? THAT is your evidence?

My prayers mentioned above are now doubled.

Wow.. in your mind, the fact that the CofC raises foreign money PROVES they are laundering money? THAT is your evidence?

How can you tell unless they open their books? Fact is that 527s are required show their donors; since the CoC is acting like a 527, why aren't they require to do so as well?

The Chamber has admitted to taking foreign funds for the same 501(c)(6) account they use for attack ads, and ThinkProgress caught them collecting $885,000 from over 80 foreign companies by investigating the Chamber’s own fundraising documents. Normally, organizations take international funds through a 501(c)(3), which is prohibited from political activity. However, what the Chamber is doing, fundraising from foreign corporations and asking them to deposit the money in their 501(c)(6) — an undisclosed, unlimited vehicle for their attack ads — is unprecedented.

‘Are You Guys Eventually Going To Disclose?’ Chamber Responds Bluntly, ‘No!’

My prayers mentioned above are now doubled.
Oh goody, you're going to be on your knees for me.

For the same reason that Obama didn't have to reveal the source of $400 million of his campaign donations. If you're all for everyone opening the books, are you going to insist that The Messiah open his books, too?

For the same reason that Obama didn't have to reveal the source of $400 million of his campaign donations. If you're all for everyone opening the books, are you going to insist that The Messiah open his books, too?

I totally agree with you, there is no reason why the public shouldn't know who is funding the elections. It doesn't mean if they are left or right.

How can you tell unless they open their books? Fact is that 527s are required show their donors; since the CoC is acting like a 527, why aren't they require to do so as well?

‘Are You Guys Eventually Going To Disclose?’ Chamber Responds Bluntly, ‘No!’

Oh goody, you're going to be on your knees for me.

There are no grounds for your warrants. In order to make an accusation, you need to back it up. Just saying, that your think they do and having no grounds for it is essentially rubbish and come back when you have real grounds.

There are no grounds for your warrants. In order to make an accusation, you need to back it up. Just saying, that your think they do and having no grounds for it is essentially rubbish and come back when you have real grounds.

It would be like posting a claim that Obama is having sexual relationships with a north Korean spy.

Prove it some lib would demand

Prove he is not I would respond.

same nonsense as the libs' claims about the Chamber of Commerce

It would be like posting a claim that Obama is having sexual relationships with a north Korean spy.

Prove it some lib would demand

Prove he is not I would respond.

same nonsense as the libs' claims about the Chamber of Commerce

I heard it was a dude. I wonder if Michelle know yet?

Back
Top Bottom