• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Celtic festivals: Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
@ Celtic festivals: Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain

Have you ever celebrated any of these festival?
Or know people who have?

Some info:

Wheel of the Year
The Pagan seasonal cycle is often called the Wheel of the Year. Almost all Pagans celebrate a cycle of eight festivals, which are spaced every six or seven weeks through the year and divide the wheel into eight segments.

Four of the festivals have Celtic origins and are known by their Celtic names, Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain.

More about it: BBC - Religions - Paganism: The Pagan year.

Cool names, much better than the ones the Church gave to them.

I was invited to an equinox celebration once. Everyone got nekkid in a huge teepee around a fire until it was almost impossible to breath and then we all ran and jumped in the ocean. I found the experience invigorating. I had hope to take the woman who invited me back to my house so that we might invigorate each other. That hope failed. Apparently some people are serious about the celebration.

The Romans slaughtered the Druids because the Druids practiced human sacrifice.

I don't know if it's the same group.

The Romans said that they practised human sacrifice. The Romans did practice human sacrifices in their colleseums. That is not why the Romans invaded Britain. The Celts kept no written records and believing what the Romans wrote about the Celts is like believing what Hitler wrote about the Jews. This is a general point, I am not accusing you of being a Nazi.

Let's start with Imbolc:

Imbolc was celebrated all across Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man, with each region having slightly different variations in name and customs. Wales also had a remarkably similar version of the festival known as Gwyl Fair y Canhwyllau. After the onset of Christianity in Ireland, the festival was tied in with a celebration of Saint Bridget, and transformed from a pagan one into a Christian one. Christians used Brigid as the focal point of their celebrations to smooth the transition, as Imbolc had previously been associated with a goddess of a very similar name, Brighid. Essentially, Bridget and Brighid were the same person! As with all Celtic festivals, Imbolc involved a host of unique customs and rituals to welcome the spring, say farewell to the winter, ward against evil and promote health and wellbeing.

What is Imbolc? Ancient Celtic Festivals | Claddagh Design

First of August!

Lughnasadh or Lughnasa (/ˈluːnəsə/ LOO-nə-sə) is a Gaelic festival marking the beginning of the harvest season. Historically, it was widely observed throughout Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man. In Modern Irish it is called Lúnasa, in Scottish Gaelic: Lùnastal, and in Manx: Luanistyn. Traditionally it is held on 1 August, or about halfway between the summer solstice and autumn equinox. But, in recent centuries some of the celebrations shifted to the Sundays nearest this date.

Lughnasadh - Wikipedia

Maybe.
But the Druids were composed of Celtic nobility, and it was they who controlled the trade of Irish gold and Tin out of the British isles. The Celtic nobility that survived was those that chose to cooperate with the Romans.
It is interesting to note that Boudicca chose to make her stand at the place where the new Roman trade road intersected with the old that the Celts used for trade between Ireland and the North Sea region. Her hereditary rights that were violated by the Romans might have had to do with more than just land.

*edit*
Concerning trade in post-Roman England, it is also interesting to note that several centuries later when the great Heathen Army made peace with Alfred the Great, the territories were dvided along that very same Roman trade road.

Last edited:
And what about those neo-pagan festivals?

Maybe.
But the Druids were composed of Celtic nobility, and it was they who controlled the trade of Irish gold and Tin out of the British isles. The Celtic nobility that survived was those that chose to cooperate with the Romans.
It is interesting to note that Boudicca chose to make her stand at the place where the new Roman trade road intersected with the old that the Celts used for trade between Ireland and the North Sea region. Her hereditary rights that were violated by the Romans might have had to do with more than just land.

*edit*
Concerning trade in post-Roman England, it is also interesting to note that several centuries later when the great Heathen Army made peace with Alfred the Great, the territories were dvided along that very same Roman trade road.

Druid | Description, History, & Facts | Britannica

And what about those neo-pagan festivals?

I used to play in a Celtic folk band and I played at a festival or two. I found them to be amusing, people in white robes prancing around doing 'druidic' ceremonies. They were into stone circles and the like and I used to enjoy pointing out that all Neolithic monuments are pre-Celtic.

They were into stone circles and the like and I used to enjoy pointing out that all Neolithic monuments are pre-Celtic.

Indeed thea are!

Indeed thea are!

I am Welsh. The druidic ceremonies at Stonehenge are a hoot. The modern druid society was invented in Victorian times and has nothing to do with Celts or druids, the sight of them dressed in a sheet, blowing horns and spouting garbage is hilarious.

I think Rumpel is a pagan wannabe...or maybe he's the real deal, trying to persuade others to join him...

Even dabbling is unwise.

Even dabbling is unwise.

Yep, flirting with paganism/demonism is beyond dangerous...it is not innocent fun because it exposes a person to demonic influence and Revelation 21:8 tells us where they'll end up...they're no better than murderers and the sexually immoral...

"But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and the sexually immoral and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This means the second death.

Yep, flirting with paganism/demonism is beyond dangerous...it is not innocent fun because it exposes a person to demonic influence and Revelation 21:8 tells us where they'll end up...they're no better than murderers and the sexually immoral...

"But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and the sexually immoral and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This means the second death.

There was good reason to warn the people of Ephesus to put on the whole armor of God.

Back
Top Bottom