• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Celtic festivals: Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain

There was good reason to warn the people of Ephesus to put on the whole armor of God.

True...Satan is "walking about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone"...1 Peter 5:8...

No, there wasn't. Gods are imaginary.

I'm perplexed as to why you're indulging yourself here in an attempt to get some "Is not!"/"Is so!" back and forth going. I know that you are not a believer; you know that I am. Find somebody else to play this asinine game.

True...Satan is "walking about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone"...1 Peter 5:8...

"We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one" (I John 5:19).

"We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one" (I John 5:19).

Which makes it clear...there are only 2 sides and no sitting on the fence...you're either on God's side or Satan's...not choosing is a choice and not a good one...

Which makes it clear...there are only 2 sides and no sitting on the fence...you're either on God's side or Satan's...not choosing is a choice and not a good one...

If it's not of God, well....

@ Celtic festivals: Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain

Have you ever celebrated any of these festival?
Or know people who have?

Not myself, for they are more European in nature and one doesn't see much of this sort of thing in Australia. My friend's band often travels to the UK to play at a Celtic festival, but other than that, I can't think of anyone who is interested in them.

Well there you go! LOLOL I knew someone would look for it. However, I've lived in Brisbane all my life and I've never heard of it.

I know only because my late sister was a Wiccan.

And what about those neo-pagan festivals?

Can't say I know anyone who celebrates the pagan versions.
Candlemass, Saint Walpurgis Eve, Loaf Mass Day, and All Hallows Eve are (some more than others).

Why is that? What does it matter what we choose to celebrate in life, if the celebration is merely harmless ritual, as most celebrations are?

Celebrate or not as you please. Don't pretend naivete, however.

See Post #27 please.

Celebrations do not require beliefs. Isn't that the point of this thread and just about every one that Rumpel starts? Getting hung up about beliefs and celebrations kind of takes the fund out of life. Do you get that point?

@ Samhain

Just a quick note to say that this is no Hain called Sam.
It is not a Sam-Hain, but a Sa-Mhain.

And Mh stands for v.

Celebrations do not require beliefs. Isn't that the point of this thread and just about every one that Rumpel starts? Getting hung up about beliefs and celebrations kind of takes the fund out of life. Do you get that point?

This is your point, and I understand it. Don't pretend to be surprised, however, that a person of faith is probably horrified as well as deeply saddened by the practices of Wiccans. Why pretend that you don't already know this?

This is your point, and I understand it. Don't pretend to be surprised, however, that a person of faith is probably horrified as well as deeply saddened by the practices of Wiccans. Why pretend that you don't already know this?

Many Wiccans ARE people of faith.

Many Wiccans ARE people of faith.

Yes, RAMOSS, I know. As I've said many times, my late little sister wasn't just a Wiccan, she was a leader often called a "high priestess" and "shaman," and her husband, also a witch but Egyptian tradition rather than Celtic, was too. They were both very well-known and my sister frequently published. What you may not know is that Wicca is very much do-it-yourself. As an example, when she died, my brother-in-law became very angry with his gods, dumped them and selected more, and changed the name he had been known by worldwide for decades.

most celebrations are based on beliefs, how wonderful it is!

Yes, RAMOSS, I know. As I've said many times, my late little sister wasn't just a Wiccan, she was a leader often called a "high priestess" and "shaman," and her husband, also a witch but Egyptian tradition rather than Celtic, was too. They were both very well-known and my sister frequently published. What you may not know is that Wicca is very much do-it-yourself. As an example, when she died, my brother-in-law became very angry with his gods, dumped them and selected more, and changed the name he had been known by worldwide for decades.

Yes, they can be very much, but, well, I know people who dump their more mainstream religion when a loved one died too.

Yes, they can be very much, but, well, I know people who dump their more mainstream religion when a loved one died too.

Yes, they do, and sometimes it's the people you'd expect to be least likely to. They become very angry because, in their view, God "broke the contract." How many times when working as a grief counselor I heard this! "I was grateful every day for my child. I thanked God every day for my child...and then He did this to me!"

Back
Top Bottom