• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CDL app?

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I've been looking for a CDL app with flashcards that does not require any kind of membership or registration. I've been browsing the GooglePlay store and the majority of what I see there are state-specific manuals and practice tests.

I'm hoping someone out there can recommend an app they've personally used.

Thanks in advance for any help :2wave:

ps, I'm going for the Class-A with air-brakes. I take my permit test in 2 weeks.

I've been looking for a CDL app with flashcards that does not require any kind of membership or registration. I've been browsing the GooglePlay store and the majority of what I see there are state-specific manuals and practice tests.

ps, I'm going for the Class-A with air-brakes. I take my permit test in 2 weeks.

I presume you are trying to pass the written CDL test? If so it will be state specific and there will be approximately 4 versions. I have always just read the CDL manual/booklet a couple of times, which is what the test will be based off of. Try this its not an app but works on the computer.

CDL Test - Test-Guide.com

The tests are insanely simple, no rocket science involved. I have my class A with all endorsements Hazmat, airbrakes, doubles triples. If I were you I would go ahead and get them all as the cost is the same and the tests are quite easy even the hazmat. Do note that the Hazmat endorsement requires a TSA check but its good for five years I believe and is good to have for just in case you have to run with placards. IE diesel fuel tanks for generators, lube barrels, and the like.

The tests are insanely simple, no rocket science involved. I have my class A with all endorsements Hazmat, airbrakes, doubles triples. If I were you I would go ahead and get them all as the cost is the same and the tests are quite easy even the hazmat. Do note that the Hazmat endorsement requires a TSA check but its good for five years I believe and is good to have for just in case you have to run with placards. IE diesel fuel tanks for generators, lube barrels, and the like.
I didn't even think about that. A couple of our trucks have 50gal tanks of desil/gas on the beds we bring out with us every day.

How can you tell a bias-ply tire from a radial tire by looking at it?

I didn't even think about that. A couple of our trucks have 50gal tanks of desil/gas on the beds we bring out with us every day.

You don't necessarily have to have it for small amounts depending on what the material is. 50 gallons of diesel probably not. Placarding depends on what the commodity is and the amount and how it is being hauled. You don't need placards and hazmat under certain amounts and materials but if you go over you will need placards and the endorsement as well as your company being licensed to haul it. You have to be careful because enforcement is very particular and the fines are steep for the company and YOU. You WILL pay for even small mistakes. So it pays to double check and confirm, and play it by the book.

There are three handbooks you ought to have in your vehicle or with you are the Federal Motor Carriers handbook, the Hazardous Materials Compliance handbook, and a updated cargo securement guide. You can get them at JJ Keller online, or at your local truckstop like Flying J or Pilot or Loves or TA or Petro or others. JJ Keller by the way is a good source of paperwork forms and compliance information for the industry, in fact it is THE industry standard.

I run a transportation business and own equipment so if you have specific questions shoot me a message, if I don't know the answer I know where to find it. I do work for the oilfields quite a bit and am licensed for general hazmat, as well as my personal class license endorsements. CA number is 422866 so you know I am not BSing you.

Good luck, my wife got her CDL last year, took two months of her life away ;)

Good question. Check the sidewall information. It will tell you type and loading specifications as well as size and pressure requirements. Almost all commercial tires are radial tires. I haven't seen a biased ply tire in commercial use. At least that I could readily identify. Mind you I don't go looking all that closely. Pro tip. Run your tires slightly over inflated, 5lbs or so. You get slightly better fuel mileage and have a bit more margin for leakage in case of puncture, and they run at the proper temperature not to mention you will get the lifespan promised or even a bit more. Underinflated tires overheat and blow. Underinflated tires are THE #1 reason for tire failure. Tires are expensive and should be taken care of so as not to waste your time or money. The Michelin website explains why radials are the preferred tire.

As Pirate said

The information would be on the sidewall information

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46
Some light truck tires follow the Light Truck Numeric or Light Truck High Flotation systems, indicated by the letters LT at the end instead of the beginning of the sequence, as follows:
The tire diameter is given for High Flotation tires and omitted from Numeric tires. 2 digit number: The diameter of the tire in inches.
x: Separator character.

3 or 4 digit number: The section width (cross section) of the tire in inches. If the tire diameter is not given, section widths ending in zero (e.g., 7.00 or 10.50) indicate the aspect ratio is 92%, while section widths not ending in zero (e.g., 7.05 or 10.55) indicate the aspect ratio is 82%.
Construction of the fabric of the tire: B: bias belt
D: diagonal
R: radial
Tire code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck. That test is a bitch.

Tommy had his for a long time. He wasn't using it, so he gave it up -- mainly because BAC is zero.

I presume you are trying to pass the written CDL test? If so it will be state specific and there will be approximately 4 versions. I have always just read the CDL manual/booklet a couple of times, which is what the test will be based off of. Try this its not an app but works on the computer.

CDL Test - Test-Guide.com
I'm dieing to find the full manual on MP3. Not just a study guide, but the whole book on audio.

I'm dieing to find the full manual on MP3. Not just a study guide, but the whole book on audio.

South Dakota doesn't seem to have theirs in an audio format. Oregon does however. As CDL's are federal in nature they are very much the same state to state with very little difference in rules. Here's the link. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...noG4Ag&usg=AFQjCNEXzy1L5ypdvV74vowBGTLPjg8V1A You can just download all of them into whatever format and play them as you like. I would also recommend that you DO read the South Dakota manual at least twice front to back so when you take the written tests you will be familiar with the questions and answers as and how they are written.

Which truck is in the wrong?

PAM primarily though the United Van lines driver is not completely innocent either. PAM for not paying attention to what they where doing and not checking their mirrors for obstructions. United Van lines for not setting up properly to keep idiots from pulling that bonehead move to begin with. He should have set himself up in both turn lanes such that both were taken up and he could complete the turn and end up in the far right lane in minimal space. 85% of this accident of this accident though is PAM's fault. That's what I could tell from actually watching the film. It didn't show the actual accident so I did a forensic analysis based of the evidence the film provides. An alternate though less likely I hope scenario would be United ran into PAM. I sure as hell hope not. Because that would mean there is a blind idiot driving around.

Back
Top Bottom