• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CDC warns eight COVID-19 infections are missed for every one counted

I bet you that around late January or February this thing takes a nosedive in numbers of infections. Between the vast number of people who will already be infected and the ongoing vaccinations the bug will die out quicker than expected.

Hang in there folks it's gonna get ugly for a couple months before it gets a lot better.

Whacko's please put on your masks and suck it up for couple months.
The vaccinations will.make a huge difference

“The record surge in coronavirus cases across the US is likely far worse, with an estimated eight infections unreported for every one infection counted, according to a government report — which would put the true tally closer to 100 million.”

Which means the death rate is about equal to the common cold.
You have been scammed with this China flu hoax.
The stats you need to pay attention to are hospitalization rates (ICU and otherwise), available beds. and death rates - our health care system is being pushed to crazy levels.

Hospitals in rural areas have been told their major facilities they usually transport the sickest patients are packed. they are told "do the best you can"

What does that mean? Not enough staff. Not enough beds. Staff testing positive being told to work anyway if their symptoms are minor. Patients needing care for other reasons unable to get surgery or other needed care.

And frankly, in 38 years of ICU nursing, I have never seen a coworker get seriously ill from a disease caught from a patient. Now I have multiple examples. Hospital staff at nearby facilities have died from covid they caught at their hospital.

The rate of infection is less impressive to me than the numbers of patients hospitalized, numbers of patients dead. and the availablity of hospital beds.

2018 was a "bad" flu year. There were 60,000 deaths. We are up to 265.000 deaths from covid.

And frankly, in 38 years of ICU nursing, I have never seen a coworker get seriously ill from a disease caught from a patient. Now I have multiple examples. Hospital staff at nearby facilities have died from covid they caught at their hospital.

This is a REALLY important point that I don’t think I’ve ever heard brought up before.

I mean, there’s always some concern if you have a TB patient, or MRSA, and I remember the confusion and concern with AIDS patients back in the mid-80s, but this is really different..

I wasn't really asking for your opinion. I was wondering if you had evidence. According to the article this thread is based on, the CDC believes that 85% of the people who were infected got sick. The fact that there have been so few known reinfections indicates that your opinion is suspect, at least in the 8-month timeframe.
M'k Sorry I bothered. 🤷

And since you acknowledge that people have gotten re-infected, it's odd that you 'suspect' my opinion. Since it's fact, it's not opinion :rolleyes:

M'k Sorry I bothered. 🤷

And since you acknowledge that people have gotten re-infected, it's odd that you 'suspect' my opinion. Since it's fact, it's not opinion :rolleyes:

The fact that some people have gotten reinfected doesn't make your opinion that "it could definitely be less effective" any less of an opinion. People who have been vaccinated have also been infected. If those who recovered from an infection were less than 95% protected from reinfection even 8 months later, we could reasonably expect to see hundreds, if not thousands of confirmed reinfections. That's not happening.

This is a REALLY important point that I don’t think I’ve ever heard brought up before.

I mean, there’s always some concern if you have a TB patient, or MRSA, and I remember the confusion and concern with AIDS patients back in the mid-80s, but this is really different..
We have had the occasional nurse pop up positive on a PPD post exposure (back in Virginia, not since I moved back to California) but nobody actually got ill. They were offered meds and follow up screenings. I knew of nurses with needlesticks from HIV patients. but none actually came up positive. We are usually more at risk for injuries related to patients. I have had knee surgery and shoulder surgery related to acute injuries. Given what we are put through at the bedside, I am really surprised my back is still good.

But communicable disease illness transmission to staff? That should be rare.

It is looking like PPE is going to be more difficult to get again....so I would expect the transmissions to go back up. If you can't find large plastic trash bags on the shelves at the store....probably hospital staff DYI PPE. :( We are still having to use our N95s for weeks at a time, but we have more than we did early on.

The fact that some people have gotten reinfected doesn't make your opinion that "it could definitely be less effective" any less of an opinion. People who have been vaccinated have also been infected. If those who recovered from an infection were less than 95% protected from reinfection even 8 months later, we could reasonably expect to see hundreds, if not thousands of confirmed reinfections. That's not happening.
Not if those people have fewer or less severe symptoms. They may not get retested.

But my point wasnt about numbers...it was about the fact that we dont know anything "long term" beyond a few months...even 8 months as you point out...about how long immunity will last.

So thanks.

Back
Top Bottom