• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CDC Tracked Millions of Phones to See If Americans Followed COVID Lockdown Orders

MrNiceGuy

Symbiotic Pnemonic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) bought access to location data harvested from tens of millions of phones in the United States to perform analysis of compliance with curfews, track patterns of people visiting K-12 schools, and specifically monitor the effectiveness of policy in the Navajo Nation, according to CDC documents obtained by Motherboard. The documents also show that although the CDC used COVID-19 as a reason to buy access to the data more quickly, it intended to use it for more general CDC purposes.

“The CDC seems to have purposefully created an open-ended list of use cases, which included monitoring curfews, neighbor to neighbor visits, visits to churches, schools and pharmacies, and also a variety of analysis with this data specifically focused on ‘violence.’” (The document doesn’t stop at churches; it mentions “places of worship.”)

We will all be tracked one day. That day looms.

Its a shame that neither party as whole wants to do something about government spying on its own citizens.
The government bought the data from private companies who sell it to whoever pays for it. Democrats have tried numerous times to enact data privacy laws.

The government bought the data from private companies who sell it to whoever pays for it. Democrats have tried numerous times to enact data privacy laws.
I said either party as a whole. Not a handful of people from each party.

We will all be tracked one day. That day looms.

I find it amazing that people still think that they aren’t being tracked constantly.

And equally amazing that some of the same people who get outraged over the possibility that government may track therm will tap “always” when an app asked them if they can track them!!!!!

In this case, the government went to third party vendors to get information on how people were behaving after the Administration absolutely attacked the very idea of contact tracing or keeping track of how infections spread.

It was a basic matter of public health. But it was held hostage by a fool of a president who tried to wish covid away and pretend it didn’t exist.

I find it amazing that people still think that they aren’t being tracked constantly.

This.

And also that they think there’s 3 guys in black suits sitting at a computer watching and documenting their every move.

The government is tracking you. Also, the government doesn’t care that you made 2 trips to Wal Mart today for Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee and Depends.

Someone needs a safespace

Yup, that is much needed, our government is all about profit. Companies can sell your data to anybody and make money off of it. Europe has protections against this. It's complete bullshit they can do this. This is what happens when govenrment works for the rich. ANd Republicans especially, all they care about is profit at any expense and greed, everybody else be damned

This.

And also that they think there’s 3 guys in black suits sitting at a computer watching and documenting their every move.

The government is tracking you. Also, the government doesn’t care that you made 2 trips to Wal Mart today for Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee and Depends.

I had a right wing friend who often ranted about being spied on.

I pass the Puzzle Palace paractice ly every day. And I know people who work there.

I’m sure that they have the capability of tracking millions of people on a real time basis.

But who is going to keep up with all the data?

Americans were tracked by the tracking devices that they purchase and carry everywhere with them.

News at eleven.

I pass the Puzzle Palace paractice ly every day. And I know people who work there.

I’m sure that they have the capability of tracking millions of people on a real time basis.

Probably the same person who if you were against the "Patriot Act" you were a terrorist sympathizer and anti american. The same cowards that felt it was OK to spy on people because they were chicken shit cowards. Their cowardice also lead to Iraq war and the path this country went down leading to Trump.

Don’t get me wrong…I’m not advocating that it’s a good thing. Same goes for all the Amazon/Google devices in homes or social media sites that track your internet searches, etc. I don’t like it one bit.

But by the same token, they’re not using the data to tell all their friends that your aunt Gert went to the post office today and bought a page of stamps. Private companies use of the data is much more annoying in my opinion than government use. The vast, vast, vast majority of us really just aren’t that interesting.

Haven't you heard? Privacy isn't a right!
The 4th Amendment is - the right to be secure in one's person, houses, papers and effects from unreasonable searches and seizures and the right to a warrant issued on probable cause.

The 4th Amendment is - the right to be secure in one's person, houses, papers and effects from unreasonable searches and seizures and the right to a warrant issued on probable cause.
Nobody seized anything and no warrants were issued.

Reread it. The government purchased this information. It's for sale. Legally. You can buy it right now.

Probably the same person who if you were against the "Patriot Act" you were a terrorist sympathizer and anti american. The same cowards that felt it was OK to spy on people because they were chicken shit cowards. Their cowardice also lead to Iraq war and the path this country went down leading to Trump.

Pretty much.

Don’t get me wrong…I’m not advocating that it’s a good thing. Same goes for all the Amazon/Google devices in homes or social media sites that track your internet searches, etc. I don’t like it one bit.

But by the same token, they’re not using the data to tell all their friends that your aunt Gert went to the post office today and bought a page of stamps. Private companies use of the data is much more annoying in my opinion than government use. The vast, vast, vast majority of us really just aren’t that interesting.
Yeah, and the CDC isn't using this information because they want to identify and punish rulebreakers. They're doing it because they want to know how effective disease control methods are, and part of figuring that out is knowing are people even following the protocols?

I mean of all government agencies to be freaking out over, the CDC? Really? Not the FBI or NSA? They're the ones you should be worrying about possessing this information, which they absolutely do possess already.

Back
Top Bottom