• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CDC mask mandate for travelers struck down by federal judge

How about the vindictive idiot-child Trump dismantling anything and everything which his nemesis, Obama, achieved? Any difference?
Yep. Big difference. Trump's executive orders in 2017 improved the economy and controlled illegal immigration to a lot better degree than Biden's reversing Trump's exec orders resulting in more illegal aliens coming across plus long-term negative effects of his faulty energy policy.
Then again, that's just my opinion given the current state of our porous southern border and the fact Biden had to go around begging Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, and Iran to pump more oil. It didn't work.

It takes almost 5 years to have an asylum hearing. If a person really needs asylum they could well be dead - or worse - by then if they get sent back. That points to a serious problem with our asylum system - not surprising our whole immigration system is screwed up beyond words. The only humane thing to do in this case, if we don't want to spend the money to get them hearings much sooner, is to assume they will be killed if we send them back and let them stay pending the hearing.

(that may well be the only legal thing we can do. I have no idea what our treaty obligations are with respect to asylum but we may well be compelled by them to let people who've requested asylum stay in country until their claims can be verified)
The problem is that there is nothing going on in Mexico that supports a wholesale claim of asylum. An asylum claimant must demonstrate persecution based on one of the five protected grounds (race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion). Being Mexican, or being poor or "wanting a better life" is not grounds for asylum. There is no war going on in Mexico now. And, the people crossing are mostly ethnic Mexicans, of Catholic or Protestant faith, of Mexican nationality, and there is no resistance movement being persecuted or social group being persecuted in Mexico to any signficant degree. And, half the Progressive Left says that if Mexicans come here, then the Mexicans coming here will suffer persecution because of the Mexican nationality and race, because Progressive Leftists say we are a big-time racist country that hates "brown people."

So, what protection does the US offer a Mexican? From what? They're persecuted in Mexico because they are Mexican or something? And, they come here and are persecuted for the same reason?

Yes, yes, we know your side didn't want a black woman on the Court. That's already known.
I care about qualified jurists. Color doesn't matter. Thomas has done a fine job along with Thurgood Mashall.

Now with Jackson on the Court, African-Americans on SCOTUS are over-represented in America based on percentages of population. That is 22 percent compared to 12 percent of the African-American population in this country.
I wonder why Biden hasn't touted that as another milestone of his Administration.

They're not a boogeyman at all. At least, by any reasonable standard. Lots of groups are "involved in setting policy."
But not a lot of groups get to name specific judges to nominate to the bench

I care about qualified jurists. Color doesn't matter. Thomas has done a fine job along with Thurgood Mashall.

Now with Jackson on the Court, African-Americans on SCOTUS are over-represented in America based on percentages of population. That is 22 percent compared to 12 percent of the African-American population in this country.
I wonder why Biden hasn't touted that as another milestone of his Administration.
Maybe they’re counting on a vacancy soon

Because _________.
Simple answer: She is a young female; appointed by Trump (really bad); and the ABA does not like her. Imagine not liking what Trump wanted.

And because there are still so many Americans foolish enough to not be vaccinated AND complaining about others not wearing masks on airplanes.

But not a lot of groups get to name specific judges to nominate to the bench
Different groups get asked all the time to make suggestions. You think Biden's pulling names out of a ****ing hat?

Well... maybe Biden is, but...

The mandate expires in something like 13 days, at which point the case becomes moot.

It's unlikely that they're going to appeal in earnest because there's not much upside (the mandate is unpopular and doesn't do much) and a lot of downside - if they lose, the option is off the table in the future.

Biden's best bet is to delay, delay, delay. The court can't decide a moot case. They can come back after it's expired and say "we wanted to appeal but ran out of time - can you please vacate the district court ruling?"
LOL.. some posts don’t age well..

LOL.. some posts don’t age well..

What hasn't aged well? I've only stated what I think Biden should do. All they've done thus far is filed a notice of appeal, which still comports with the quoted scenario a laid out earlier.

What hasn't aged well? I've only stated what I think Biden should do. All they've done thus far is filed a notice of appeal, which still comports with the quoted scenario a laid out earlier.

LMAO... Think it will be dismissed as moot?

It's time for the mask mandate to end. Shortly after it was struck down, Joe Biden was asked about it and couldn't even bring himself to personally *recommend* wearing masks. He just offered a milquetoast "It's everyone's individual choice."

And now the CDC is asking the DOJ to appeal the ruling. I don't understand this at all. Clearly the Biden Administration doesn't believe in this policy themselves, so why did it need to come to this in the first place? And having been struck down, why not just take the opportunity to not fight it anymore?

Yep. Big difference. Trump's executive orders in 2017 improved the economy and controlled illegal immigration to a lot better degree than Biden's reversing Trump's exec orders resulting in more illegal aliens coming across plus long-term negative effects of his faulty energy policy.
Then again, that's just my opinion given the current state of our porous southern border and the fact Biden had to go around begging Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, and Iran to pump more oil. It didn't work.
The evidence doesn’t indicate that at all. Economic growth under Trump was the same as under Obama, which undercuts your assertion that the EOs improved the economy.

The evidence doesn’t indicate that at all. Economic growth under Trump was the same as under Obama, which undercuts your assertion that the EOs improved the economy.
Yeah, right. Obama did everything so much better than Trump.
Too bad you can't get him back.
Instead you chose a senile old man who can hardly complete sentences and has incredibly low ratings for a candidate who won more votes than any candidate for president in history. Such irony, right?
We can only hope we survive until 2024 when a strong candidate like DeSantis or Mike Pompeo become president.

Yeah, right. Obama did everything so much better than Trump.
Too bad you can't get him back.
Instead you chose a senile old man who can hardly complete sentences and has incredibly low ratings for a candidate who won more votes than any candidate for president in history. Such irony, right?
We can only hope we survive until 2024 when a strong candidate like DeSantis or Mike Pompeo become president.
Everything that you wrote above is a deflection. Why? Because you can't contest with facts and evidence what I wrote in post #365, namely, economic growth under Trump was the same as under Obama.

mtp_fs_data_download_1b_2020_08_23.png
mtp_fs_data_download_2b_2020_08_23_1.png

Under that "senile old man" not only are we surviving but economic growth is the highest in 40 years; unemployment is low; there is high wage growth -- especially among low-wage earners, and child poverty has shrunk. The reality of the economy doesn't match the gloomy narrative of the Fox crowd. The economy is not just gas prices.

As for DeSanits and Pompeo being the country's saviors, you've got to be kidding.

As for DeSanits and Pompeo being the country's saviors, you've got to be kidding.
Stranger things have happened, right.
A black man became president amidst a supposed racial divide.
Trump beat the anointed Queen Hillary.
Trump lost to a senile old man in 2020.
The Philadelphia Eagles beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl (2018)
And the Falcons lost to the Patriots in 2017. You had to see it to believe it.

We are in the world of Stranger Things.

Back
Top Bottom