• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CDC head says masks are better than vaccine at preventing Covid spread as Trump sends mixed messages

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
CDC head Redfield says masks are better than vaccine at preventing Covid spread as Trump sends mixed messages - CNNPolitics

CDC head says masks are better than vaccine at preventing Covid spread as Trump sends mixed messages

(CNN)President Donald Trump's own health officials continue to publicly contradict him when it comes to the coronavirus pandemic -- this time on the importance of mask wearing.

In fact, Dr. Robert Redfield, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, testified that mask wearing may be a more effective protection against coronavirus than the potential vaccine that the President can't stop hyping.

"I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine, because the immunogenicity may be 70%. And if I don't get an immune response, the vaccine is not going to protect me. This face mask will," Redfield told lawmakers during public testimony on Wednesday, adding that the American public has not yet embraced the use of masks to a level that could effectively control the outbreak.
=====================================================================
Trump deserves to be contradicted when he is wrong in his statements.

President OrangeGlow is in the middle of a reelection campaign and could give a **** about truth, or facts, or science, or medicine or anything that the CDC would say.

Trump is not sending “mixed messages,” he is continuing on his campaign of outright lying and flat out making **** up as he goes. A complete lunatic at the wheel of this nation.

CDC head Redfield says masks are better than vaccine at preventing Covid spread as Trump sends mixed messages - CNNPolitics

(CNN)President Donald Trump's own health officials continue to publicly contradict him when it comes to the coronavirus pandemic -- this time on the importance of mask wearing.

In fact, Dr. Robert Redfield, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, testified that mask wearing may be a more effective protection against coronavirus than the potential vaccine that the President can't stop hyping.

"I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine, because the immunogenicity may be 70%. And if I don't get an immune response, the vaccine is not going to protect me. This face mask will," Redfield told lawmakers during public testimony on Wednesday, adding that the American public has not yet embraced the use of masks to a level that could effectively control the outbreak.
Yea, I don’t know why we’re spending billions of dollars on a vaccine. Let’s just spend it on developing a better mask. More bang for the buck.

Yea, I don’t know why we’re spending billions of dollars on a vaccine. Let’s just spend it on developing a better mask. More bang for the buck.

Trump agrees with you. He said again last night that we don’t even need a vax. Rona gonna go away by itself soon.

Trump agrees with you. He said again last night that we don’t even need a vax. Rona gonna go away by itself soon.
Quote please.

Anyhow. Are you now claiming Trump prefers masks over the vaccine?

I think the caveat to that statement was if the vaccine was 50% effective which it seems is the bar that they’re setting for this one. My understanding - I’m not doctor or biologist - is that most vaccines are closer to 90% effective.

That’s said a safe 50% effective vaccine is likely a good start.

A mask doesn't protect the wearer. It protects everyone else.

You said he agreed with me, did you not?

You’re making a leap with the word “preference”. Dunno. He seems to have changed his mind on vaccines though.

Whose masks? The wearer's of the other guy?

The CDC itself said that masks do not protect the wearer since the wearer's eyeballs can route the virus that lands on them into the lungs just as well. They only reduce the distance if the wearer sneezes, coughs, or spits. They do not filter the virus when you are breathing in or out. It's too damn small. That's what ventilators are for.

The best antidote is not acting like a hungry pig all your life. If you are still scared, go to the basement and stay there. Throwing people out of work to save a few old guys with conditions is beyond idiotic.

It is also not sustainable. Next time around - a year from - are we going to add another 5 trillion bucks to the fed debt?

A mask doesn't protect the wearer. It protects everyone else.

Indeed. It's sad to see Trump's "best person" for CDC head make such basic mistakes.

I think the caveat to that statement was if the vaccine was 50% effective which it seems is the bar that they’re setting for this one. My understanding - I’m not doctor or biologist - is that most vaccines are closer to 90% effective.

That’s said a safe 50% effective vaccine is likely a good start.
You would be correct.

Efficacy and effectiveness | Immunisation Advisory Centre

The effectiveness of masks are subject to variables which require educating the public first and foremost. Absent that in many cases that effectiveness is 0%.

I prefer a vaccine but until such time as it’s available I’ll do what I must to limit my exposure.

You’re making a leap with the word “preference”. Dunno. He seems to have changed his mind on vaccines though.
Idk. Perhaps I should start communicating with you in Latin. You’re having a hard time with English.

Quit muta ludere mecum,

Don't vote for Trump.

Idk. Perhaps I should start communicating with you in Latin. You’re having a hard time with English.

Quit muta ludere mecum,

Or you could say things that are interesting. Whichever.

If Masks work so well, why is it that Doctors wear them and not patients?

Doctors wear N95 masks that protect them too. They also wear masks to protect the patients when environment has to be as sterile as possible.

Doctors wear N95 masks that protect them too. They also wear masks to protect the patients when environment has to be as sterile as possible.
They also wear face shields. Should we all follow their example?

President OrangeGlow is in the middle of a reelection campaign and could give a **** about truth, or facts, or science, or medicine or anything that the CDC would say.

Trump is not sending “mixed messages,” he is continuing on his campaign of outright lying and flat out making **** up as he goes. A complete lunatic at the wheel of this nation.

If they work sooooooooooo well, why are people who wear masks dying in the United States?

If they work sooooooooooo well, why are people who wear masks dying in the United States?

You really thought this was a legitimate question didn’t you?

Whose masks? The wearer's of the other guy?

The CDC itself said that masks do not protect the wearer since the wearer's eyeballs can route the virus that lands on them into the lungs just as well. They only reduce the distance if the wearer sneezes, coughs, or spits. They do not filter the virus when you are breathing in or out. It's too damn small. That's what ventilators are for.

The best antidote is not acting like a hungry pig all your life. If you are still scared, go to the basement and stay there. Throwing people out of work to save a few old guys with conditions is beyond idiotic.

It is also not sustainable. Next time around - a year from - are we going to add another 5 trillion bucks to the fed debt?

Masks reduce the quantity of virus-laden microdroplets in the air. As for your eyes, buy a pair of safety goggles.

It makes perfect sense due to circumstances and reality (of vaccine availability and efficacy) in the near to mid-future. Which is exactly what he said.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

You bet. It was so refreshing to see the head of the CDC speaking honestly and straightforwardly. Amazing that it took a Congressional hearing in order to hear him.

Then Trump weighs in to give us his totally uninformed, uneducated opinions based on his reelection concerns rather than concerns of our health.

He also lied about how Redfield was "confused" by the questions. Redfield tweeted the following an hour ago:

The best defense we currently have against this virus are the important mitigation efforts of wearing a mask, washing your hands, social distancing and being careful about crowds.

Doesn't sound confused to me.

Back
Top Bottom