• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CDC Gun Safety Studies

Rucker61

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From the Democratic Party platform:
"There is insufficient research on effective gun prevention policies, which is why the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must have the resources it needs to study gun violence as a public health issue."
In other words, the Democrats hold the position that we don't know what gun prevention (sic) policies would be effective.

Even in that ignorance, the Democrats are still supporting "common sense" laws like:

Amend the Lautenberg Amendment to cover boyfriends, dating.
Universal background checks.
Repeal PLCAA - Allow gun manufacturers to be sued out of business
Ban "assault weapons"
Ban "large capacity magazines"
Buy-back programs
Impose red flag laws
Ban 3-D printing of guns
Ban bump stocks.
Permit to purchase licensing system
"Charleston" loophole
Mandatory notification of stolen guns
"Hate crime" loophole
No "ghost guns".
Eliminate campus carry
Raise the legal age to purchase a firearm
Increase taxes on guns and ammunition specifically to reduce the number of lawful citizens exercising a Constitutionally protected right
Limit the number of firearms that can be purchased in a month by law abiding citizens.
Ban silencers
Expand gun free zones to universities and colleges

If they don't know what policies will be effective and need CDC to study the issue, why are they pushing for all of these?

I don't think the pro gun crowd is going to go for this.

"There is insufficient research on effective gun prevention policies, which is why the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must have the resources it needs to study gun violence as a public health issue."
In other words, the Democrats hold the position that we don't know what gun prevention (sic) policies would be effective.

Even in that ignorance, the Democrats are still supporting "common sense" laws like:

Ban "assault weapons"
Buy-back programs
Impose red flag laws
Ban 3-D printing of guns
Ban bump stocks.
"Charleston" loophole
"Hate crime" loophole
No "ghost guns".
Eliminate campus carry
Increase taxes on guns and ammunition specifically to reduce the number of lawful citizens exercising a Constitutionally protected right
Limit the number of firearms that can be purchased in a month by law abiding citizens.
Ban silencers

If they don't know what policies will be effective and need CDC to study the issue, why are they pushing for all of these?

Source?

I wouldn't be against the CDC study because it would show that in most cases gun ownership doesn't result in death. I would think it was the pro-gun-control crowd that didn't want this to happen. An estimated 500 million guns owned by the population, 35000 deaths a year 2/3 of them being suicide. Do you have the third probably being a majority illegal possession of weapons.

I'm 100% for researching it I just don't think it will shut up the gun control proponents. Dunning-kruger effect and all.

I'm just wondering if the pro-gun control crowd can explain why on one hand the Democratic Party says there isn't enough information out there to know what will work and on the other hand has a whole list of gun gun proposals that they are pushing without knowing if they would be effective.

Ban "assault weapons"
Buy-back programs
Impose red flag laws
Ban 3-D printing of guns
Ban bump stocks.
"Charleston" loophole
"Hate crime" loophole
No "ghost guns".
Eliminate campus carry
Ban silencers

From the first time I attended an Obamacare forum it was obvious that any form of "Universal Health Care" would involve firearms confiscation.

We did have a good ruling from the 9th Circuit today that says outright bans on large capacity magazines are unconstitutional but if Biden and Harris get in, and especially if the Democrats hold the House and take the Senate, that decision will make no difference. In the fist year we'll see SCOTUS expanded to 15 seats and the second Amendment will be effectively nullified in a matter of months.

As an aside, welcome back! I think you were gone for a while.

One thing is known and that is that the CDC wants NOTHING to do with diseases or public health. They want to be progressive politicians getting huge grants to write Democratic Party platform promos.

Good question. And another good question is: why is the CDC the only organization that can study the issue?

Ban "assault weapons"
Buy-back programs
Impose red flag laws
Ban 3-D printing of guns
Ban bump stocks.
"Charleston" loophole
"Hate crime" loophole
No "ghost guns".
Eliminate campus carry
Ban silencers

They figure this will keep black gangbangers from killing everything in sight.

I doubt it.

One thing is known and that is that the CDC wants NOTHING to do with diseases or public health. They want to be progressive politicians getting huge grants to write Democratic Party platform promos.

So there can be no science as long as they're are political view points?

I don't think the CDC should be put in the position if affirming political views. And the more you disagree with them the more politically opposed to you they will seem.

Not everything needs to be partisan.

Good question. And another good question is: why is the CDC the only organization that can study the issue?

I think they are the most equipped and the least partisan.

We all should support this. Gun owners know the realty. Science backing it up will bolster their position.

We all should support this. Gun owners know the realty. Science backing it up will bolster their position.

How are they the most equipped? Do they even have any gun violence experts on staff? They seem to outsource their studies.
The Department of Justice certainly does, but the Left doesn't like their reports.

Well Everytown claims too be studying it as is the VPC and Brady Bunch. LOL.;) And Rucker where you been haunting? Long time.

Well Everytown claims too be studying it as is the VPC and Brady Bunch. LOL.;) And Rucker where you been haunting? Long time.

Took a break, plus post-Covid outbreak work has kept me working 12-14 hour days.

I think they are ... the least partisan.

Hardly.

But partisanship shouldn't be a problem if the studies are peer-reviewed, published, and the raw data provided for everyone to reach their own conclusions. That last point is hardly one that is a characteristic of many of the gun violence studies that are cited by gun control advocates, although they are still pretty easy to pick apart.

Given the fact that almost all of these studies are based on analysis of crime statistics, anyone with some time on his or her hands and access to a spreadsheet program could do them. The CDC is not uniquely equipped.

Another point. Given that they already have a list of "common sense" gun control, and still want CDC studies, they already have an idea of what the results will be.

Going into a "scientific" study with the results pre-determined is why we got the Dickey Act in the first place.

Ban "assault weapons"
Buy-back programs
Impose red flag laws
Ban 3-D printing of guns
Ban bump stocks.
"Charleston" loophole
"Hate crime" loophole
No "ghost guns".
Eliminate campus carry
Ban silencers

If I recall correctly it was a CDC study a few years ago that said legally own guns were used far more often for defense than for illegal purposes.

How are they the most equipped? Do they even have any gun violence experts on staff? They seem to outsource their studies.
The ability to outsource for one.
The Department of Justice certainly does, but the Left doesn't like their reports.
Doj???

Another point. Given that they already have a list of "common sense" gun control, and still want CDC studies, they already have an idea of what the results will be.
But those of us that own guns know better. I doubt a confirmation from the CDC of our arguments will make a difference gun control is about control of people not guns or criminals.

Dunning-kruger again.
Going into a "scientific" study with the results pre-determined is why we got the Dickey Act in the first place.
Why is science just part of the Democrat party? I think this attitude does more damage to the pro gun rights side than anything.

The ability to outsource for one.

They tend to pick the same anti-gun researchers.

"Summary of Select Firearms Violence Prevention Strategies"
Source and Use of Firearms Involved in Crimes: Survey of Prison Inmates, 2016

and other studies.

But those of us that own guns know better. I doubt a confirmation from the CDC of our arguments will make a difference gun control is about control of people not guns or criminals.

Dunning-kruger again.
Why is science just part of the Democrat party? I think this attitude does more damage to the pro gun rights side than anything.

It's not part of the Democratic Party where guns are concern, hence the quotes. You can't call it scientific if you've already picked the results of the scientific study before it starts.

Hardly.

But partisanship shouldn't be a problem if the studies are peer-reviewed, published, and the raw data provided for everyone to reach their own conclusions. That last point is hardly one that is a characteristic of many of the gun violence studies that are cited by gun control advocates, although they are still pretty easy to pick apart.

Given the fact that almost all of these studies are based on analysis of crime statistics, anyone with some time on his or her hands and access to a spreadsheet program could do them. The CDC is not uniquely equipped.

I didn't say they were uniquely equipped.

It's not part of the Democratic Party where guns are concern, hence the quotes. You can't call it scientific if you've already picked the results of the scientific study before it starts.

Who already picked the results? As I understand the CDC did do a study, and the result ran contrary to the gun control advocates arguments.

Why wouldn't we want people to know? Why do you jump to the conclusion that the CDC is going to jump to a conclusion?

Back
Top Bottom