• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

nothing changes the fact that the conclusion that the study presents is overly simplistic and misleading. sex ed is not the primary factor. otherwise everyone who gets the same sex ed would have the same rates. they don't, so sex ed ain't it.

care to actually address that?

you can't prove anything you just posted, and you disparaged a study you clearly didn't bother to read. students who all take the same classes with the same teachers don't all get the same grades, and yet we don't believe education isn't important and that school clearly is the place to learn. you have no idea what is or isn't the primary factor, the study at least contains facts, while your posts are conjecture with no facts to support them.

you can't prove anything you just posted, and you disparaged a study you clearly didn't bother to read. students who all take the same classes with the same teachers don't all get the same grades, and yet we don't believe education isn't important and that school clearly is the place to learn. you have no idea what is or isn't the primary factor, the study at least contains facts, while your posts are conjecture with no facts to support them.

true and you don't blame the curriculum or the teacher for the difference in grades now do you? the difference is in the students. so how is this any different?

at the base we agree, good sex ed is a positive thing. we just disagree on the validity of this particular survey.

the issue is too complex to point a finger at any one factor and claim "it is chrystal clear" and that is just what this study has done.

The "sex ed" argument used to explain these differences is based on a false premise (comprehensive sex ed is taught in blue states, & not red). Further, the argument itself (that comprehensive sex ed yields lower teen pregnancy rates) is not supported by the data.

The planned parenthood representative simply assumes that liberal states provide "comprehensive sex education" where those "other" states do not. A quick examination of state laws throws a big monkey wrench in what she thought was "crystal clear."
State Sex Education Laws

Blue States:
Only Vermont requires comprehensive sex education. Massachusetts has no requirement whatsoever, and the other two require no general sex ed, just info on STDs.

Red States:
Two require general sex ed, and the other three have no requirement.

Looking at other states... Georgia and Tennessee are among the small handful of states that require comprehensive sex ed and yet have higher percentatges of preganancy. If sex education were the primary factor explaining these differences (as claimed) this would not be true.

I know. It's similar to my extreme approach to health care. It's a reaction to the importance that many folks who are against comprehensive sex education on a personal responsibility basis and on family taking care of family members basis... and less government intervention. My plan is more of an "anti-hypocrite" plan. If one wants the responsibility, they can't shirk the responsibility just because things didn't turn out the way they wanted. You can't get a little bit pregnant.

Should Children inherit their parents debt too?

So, if you read it, how did you miss this:

The racial argument is discussed and proven to not fully account for the differences in teen birth rates.

Word
Cause I'm white - and live in Arkansas - and one of them hussy statistics.

Overall - stupidity had a lot to do with it. The thought that I might get pregnant never crossed my mind - nor did I ever think about birth control. .. though I did, sure, know what it was.
Socially - I think it's just more acceptable. My parents weren't thrilled but my boyfriend at that time was, and so were a lot of my friends - they thought it was awesome.

I agree with the initial article.

However - I think the overall crux of the issue is parenting (or lack of parental involvement) - I've lived North, in Maryland and the surrounding area - and I've lived all over the South. The whole family dynamic is different - parents are generally less involved and thus less likely to inform their kids of what to do, what not to do when it comes to sex, in the south.

Very generally - I'm sure there are a lot of people who break away from this, but my parents definitely weren't like that.

Last edited:
The states with the higher preggo rates also have the largest minority populations.

Sounds like someone cherry picked the **** out of this data...:rofl

Sounds like some one did not read the actual report or the thread....

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I'm just saying that though I get what you're aiming at....some sort of consequence for refusing sex ed for one's children, but it's pretty harsh to punish the children for their parents short sightedness. Denying the young parents and their offspring healthcare and societal support is a sure fire way of taking some misguided people and turning them into criminals.

I just had to say something about this. After looking at the data, I can honestly say this study is absolute garbage.

Lets first look at the relative populations as a whole...

Connecticut:3,518,288

Massachusetts:6,593,587

*New Hampshire:1,324,575

Vermont:621,760

Arkansas:2,889,450

*Mississippi:2,951,996

New Mexico:2,009,671

Oklahoma:3,687,050

Texas:24,782,302

Interesting how the article fails to mention the state with the highest percentage per capita also has more than twice the population of New Hampshire, the lowest.

It also fails to mention the huge Hispanic and Black populations in the higher per capita states. Minority's are reproducing at much higher rates than whites, and have been for the last few decades. Logically this would make for larger populations of teens in high minority states like Mississippi as opposed to Vermont.

Here is an example....

500px-New_2000_hispanic_percent.gif

Hispanic population

500px-New_2000_black_percent.gif

Black population.

All this article and study proves is it is easy to fudge numbers to say exactly what you want.

In other words, blame it on the non white population and not the religious brainwashing... pathetic attitude.

In other words, blame it on the non white population and not the religious brainwashing... pathetic attitude.

It is the minority population, has little to do with religious brainwashing. If you actually look or even did a little research. Some of the red states have BETTER well rounded sex education classes. And yet they still have high rates of teen pregnancy. Some blue states have poor sex education and yet have low rates. And low minority rates to match.

Why do ignorant people think all Christian religions are fundamentalists and want to blame all the worlds woe's on it. :roll:

Last edited:
Why do ignorant people think all Christian religions are fundamentalists and want to blame all the worlds woe's on it. :roll:

um...because they are ignorant? Way easier to blame religion than to actually address the real problem.

Back
Top Bottom