• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CDC director says masks more guaranteed to work than a vaccine

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
CDC director says masks more guaranteed to work than a vaccine | TheHill

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Robert Redfield said Wednesday that wearing a mask is more guaranteed to protect someone from the coronavirus than taking a vaccine.

Redfield, speaking at a Senate hearing, emphasized the importance of wearing masks, noting that an eventual vaccine is not expected to work in 100 percent of people, and might only work in, say, 70 percent. But a mask is guaranteed to offer at least some protection for all wearers, he added, though it is far from total protection.

"We have clear scientific evidence they work, I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against COVID than when I take a COVID vaccine, because the immunogenicity may be 70 percent and if I don't get an immune response, the vaccine's not going to protect me, this face mask will," Redfield said.
=================================================================
The Republicans & others who refuse to wear masks are feeding this pandemic & killing themselves & others.

Last edited:
Job opening.

Besides the low efficacy of any new vaccine, it takes something like a month for your body to build up immunity after the vaccination. If you're infected in that time, the virus has ways of shutting off your immune system by stopping the production of antibodies, so you've wasted your time & effort getting the shot.

Masks are going to be needed for many months AFTER the vaccine is released. If not longer.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Besides the low efficacy of any new vaccine, it takes something like a month for your body to build up immunity after the vaccination. If you're infected in that time, the virus has ways of shutting off your immune system by stopping the production of antibodies, so you've wasted your time & effort getting the shot.

And they've been saying that 2 shots will be needed.

Just IMO, a ****load of people that are not in the vulnerable categories: elderly, immune system or other conditions, will not be in any hurry to get them. Just read on the forum how many people just dismiss it as a cold or flu.

First responders and medical professionals will get it first. They will be the guinea pigs for efficacy and safety. :( And most of them wont have a choice if they want to keep their jobs.

So then after that, I guess it will become available to the public. If people dont feel they are at risk, they're going to wait and see if it IS safe.

Still forgetting (or not caring) that even if they dont get sick, they can still become infected and spreading it *sigh*

OTOH, I'm also going to be watching to see if it's safe...in those early recipients. The 'warp speed' rush makes the entire process suspect and I am generally a supporter of vaccines. And solid, non-politicized medical research. These vaccines have not been developed under such circumstances IMO.

I'll be wearing and supporting masks for a long time unfortunately.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Last edited:
Won't help. Trump will fire him within 3 weeks.

The initial doses will probably be available for medical people, first responders, and the aged.

The first vaccine will have an efficacy value of around 50%. Iffy, but better than nothing.

Efficacy will improve as new vaccines come online. We might need a cocktail of 4 different vaccine's that work in different ways.

The fly in the ointment will be the anti-vaxxers and the hopelessly stupid who refuse.

Back
Top Bottom