• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CBS Poll: 8-in-10 Americans Support Reducing Immigration, Stricter Vetting

Trump did advocate preference for quality.

immigration200years.0.jpg

You already said this...multiple times.
The part you failed to absorb, you cant claim everyone else there are people who share my observations.

You can only claim you and those who agree with your position, not everyone else.

Oh, OK,

To that I would say that individual reality equals reality based upon a majority of consensus.

We have to opposing positions:

1. The POTUS trends Open Borders
2. The POTUS has no open border policies.

Each group believes themselves right and the other wrong. Each with citations and written opinions on why and why not and neither side giving way.

Ill come to the center and say he has policies that tend to lean open borders, but he's not 100% a believer.

Who get to decide which reality is true for the other groups?

Answer themselves. Everyone gets to claim their own truth. You will never convince true believers on either side Of the equation baring a significant emotional event.

No. Reality is based on facts and truth and data and the tangible.

There are a lot of morons that still believe The Donald won in 2020...that is their individual reality. And it sure as shit isnt reality. There are no facts or data to support their 'individual reality,' no matter how shitty their individual perceptions of reality are.

The flag is New Zealand. :)
Ah, I always get the two mixed. Do you actually live there? New Zealand is huge and geographically very beautiful. The best part is there are no people, so population density is small. I always wanted to go to New Zealand since LOTR came out. Do you recommend it?

Ah, I always get the two mixed. Do you actually live there? New Zealand is huge and geographically very beautiful. The best part is there are no people, so population density is small. I always wanted to go to New Zealand since LOTR came out. Do you recommend it?
Yes, I live here. There are 4.5 million people here and that seems like a lot to us. It is great here. Lots to do and lots to see. Very diverse geographically.

Do you remember the Hercules series from the min-90s? That was filmed there...all over. The country is gorgeous and a lot of it is similar to here, weather and beach and mtn-wise, in the Pac NW. But fewer people, so even nicer.

No. Reality is based on facts and truth and data and the tangible.

There are a lot of morons that still believe The Donald won in 2020...that is their individual reality. And it sure as shit isnt reality. There are no facts or data to support their 'individual reality,' no matter how shitty their individual perceptions of reality are.
It may be true to them, but not to me. Trump was always an Ass, but he in his last year in oft he really lost his mind. Too bad he took his sycophants with him.

That isn't what that poll results said. What's the point of even lying about it when the actual poll options are included in the article?
Not trying to cover all ground here but not trying to cover a ground here but go to the actual pole look at question 31.

If you add the numbers for for stopping immigration and allowing some immigration with strict guidelines it comes out to 80%. That's 8 and 10.

Not trying to cover all ground here but not trying to cover a ground here but go to the actual pole look at question 31.

If you add the numbers for for stopping immigration and allowing some immigration with strict guidelines it comes out to 80%. That's 8 and 10.
"Allowing some immigration with strict guidelines" is not the same thing as wanting to reduce immigration or have stricter vetting. Depending on one's viewpoint, some might say it describes the immigration regime we have right now.

That isn't what that poll results said. What's the point of even lying about it when the actual poll options are included in the article?

"Allowing some immigration with strict guidelines" is not the same thing as wanting to reduce immigration or have stricter vetting. Depending on one's viewpoint, some might say it describes the immigration regime we have right now.
I guess that's really a point of view on the poll question because the vetting process that we have is not nearly as strict as some other nations. And it depends on what the folks answering the pole meant by strict. It could be interpreted either way really so is the pole dishonest I guess it depends on your viewpoint.

I guess that's really a point of view on the poll question because the vetting process that we have is not nearly as strict as some other nations. And it depends on what the folks answering the pole meant by strict. It could be interpreted either way really so is the pole dishonest

That depends on who is interpreting the data and results. In order to say its dishonest, you have to be able to determine intent. Given that it's a CBS Poll I'd have to say that the 8/10 findings are in conflict with their overall reporting.

That depends on who is interpreting the data and results. In order to say its dishonest, you have to be able to determine intent. Given that it's a CBS Poll I'd have to say that the 8/10 findings are in conflict with their overall reporting.
It's not the poll that is dishonest, the poll looks fine to me. It's Breitbart's spin on what the results mean. Breitbart is claiming that a majority of the country wants to reduce immigration when that is not what the poll showed.

It's not the poll that is dishonest, the poll looks fine to me. It's Breitbart's spin on what the results mean. Breitbart is claiming that a majority of the country wants to reduce immigration when that is not what the poll showed.

BB was only citing CBS's own article, although I will concede the title is subjective.

"So considering all that, what do people want U.S. policy generally to be right now? Let's look at what's behind each of three broad views: those who say they'd stop most or all immigration now (this group is one in five Americans — 21%); those who would allow some immigration, based on strict criteria (this is by far the largest of three, a majority 58% of Americans, though exactly what that criteria ought to be is itself a matter for discussion, which we'll cover below); and those who would allow a lot of immigration, including for most or all who want to enter the U.S. (this is another 21%, counterbalancing the most restrictive group.)"

What do you think Biden could do differently to slow the tide? Pick a low hanging fruit.
perhaps instead of discussing nonsense...we should be discussing how to fill those low ranking jobs in the retail, hospitality and restaurant industries? Just a thought....a guest worker program and then look at technology and interior enforcement for those who flout visa terms and overstay their visas?

A
That would be 81% support stricter immigration policies, and yes stricter vetting is supported by the polling.

And when asking if our immigration policies are already strict you must ask in comparison to which nations.
It doesn't say stricter.

Not, directly, but that is the nature of any poll the closed questions tend to guide the answers. The question could be posed; are the respondents interpreting the question as strict as in a strict enforcement of current law, or strict as in a stricter vetting process.
psst your poll shows that 58% want a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants...

psst your poll shows that 58% want a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants...

That's not really what I was, discussing but the point is taken. I personally feel that would be a mistake as it would only serve to encourage Illegal Immigration.

That's not really what I was, discussing but the point is taken. I personally feel that would be a mistake as it would only serve to encourage Illegal Immigration.
They have been here a decade....we have looked the other way....there are ways to do this without it turning into encouragement of more illegal immigration as well as admitting we have an addiction to people willing to work.

They have been here a decade....we have looked the other way....there are ways to do this without it turning into encouragement of more illegal immigration as well as admitting we have an addiction to people willing to work.

Remain in Mexico was implemented in 2019, that's not a decade. As for workers there's a VISA for that and procedures for the employers to sponsor them. We do everything we can to discourage Illegal immigration and make it as difficult for them as possible. We are not a global welfare system. We no longer need to fill up a nation. Everyone desiring entry needs to be vetted. BTW 90% of asylum cases are deemed not valid which is all the more reason for them to wait on the other side until they are vetted.

Remain in Mexico was implemented in 2019, that's not a decade. As for workers there's a VISA for that and procedures for the employers to sponsor them. We do everything we can to discourage Illegal immigration and make it as difficult for them as possible. We are not a global welfare system. We no longer need to fill up a nation. Everyone desiring entry needs to be vetted. BTW 90% of asylum cases are deemed not valid which is all the more reason for them to wait on the other side until they are vetted.
The people living inside the US without documents are who we are discussing...not legal asylum seekers. Actually, there isn't....Trump stopped almost all of those.

This is well known, but will the POTUS and his open borders buddies listen or care?

What did Trump due to deport the millions who overstayed there Visa? What has Biden done to fix the system as the majority of illegals entered on a Visa and did not leave.

Neither party wants to address this issue.

Back
Top Bottom