• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CBS News producer shows how easy it is to buy an assault rifle

eohrnberger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Only one problem with that.

Based on CBS' recent history, from the Lovin-In Steve Croft interview of Obama and Hillary to the present, seems that CBS is in deep with the leftist agenda it keeps pushing.

Break the law in order to push the narrative.
Isn't that inherently dishonest?
Is that exactly NOT supposed to be the purpose and role of a free press?
Isn't this exactly counter to the free press' social contract of a well informed electorate?

What do you think?

It should be easy to buy a gun from a FFL dealer if you can pass the (NICS database) BGC. I seriouusly doubt if this (liberal?) reporter will be prosecuted for making misleading statements (lying?) on form 4473 since very, very few are. If the current administration can continue to selectively enforce immigration law then surely it can continue to selectively enforce gun laws.

I think that it should be easy to buy a gun and that selling your gun to another FFL dealer no matter how long after it was purchsed{/i] was never intended to be ilegal.

Based on CBS' recent history, from the Lovin-In Steve Croft interview of Obama and Hillary to the present, seems that CBS is in deep with the leftist agenda it keeps pushing.

Isn't this exactly counter to the free press' social contract of a well informed electorate?

What do you think?

I don't get what the problem is, that CBS is supposedly exposing? Easy to legally buy a firearm in the US? Isn't that what the 2nd Amendment protects?

If you pass the federal background check, you have the money to pay for the firearm, and you are complying with federal, state, and local laws (including not performing a straw purchase) then why the outrage?

Maybe I'm just too stupid to get it, but I don't see what the problem is that CBS is supposed to be exposing?

Isn't the narrative that these guns move from hand to hand and the laws currently in place do very little if nothing to stop it? It seems they proved the point they were going for.

Dan Rather would be proud.

I don't get what the problem is, that CBS is supposedly exposing? Easy to legally buy a firearm in the US? Isn't that what the 2nd Amendment protects?

If you pass the federal background check, you have the money to pay for the firearm, and you are complying with federal, state, and local laws (including not performing a straw purchase) then why the outrage?

Maybe I'm just too stupid to get it, but I don't see what the problem is that CBS is supposed to be exposing?

Proving something is legal and possible, leftist party line, by breaking federal law? It seems dishonest of the media to do so to me (hence posted in media bias forum).

Isn't the narrative that these guns move from hand to hand and the laws currently in place do very little if nothing to stop it? It seems they proved the point they were going for.

Why should the law stop, make it more expensive or difficult for people buying or selling guns? This gun moved from one FFL dealer to another after being used as a prop for a (gotcha?) news bit.

Why should the law stop, make it more expensive or difficult for people buying or selling guns?

For the same reason it's relatively expensive to transfer a house, cars, etc. They aren't toys.

This gun moved from one FFL dealer to another after being used as a prop for a (gotcha?) news bit.

I think that was kind of the point of the news bit. That they can change hands about as quickly as a pack of gum.

Proving something is legal and possible, leftist party line, by breaking federal law? It seems dishonest of the media to do so to me (hence posted in media bias forum).

I get that they have an agenda. I just think they failed miserably. Also, if she transferred the firearm to an FFL then she didn't break the law. Did she and CBS as a whole use unethical and immoral means? Of course they did. Did they prove anything? Yeah, but not what they were aiming for, rather they proved that the laws work, and that the 2nd Amendment right of the lady buying the firearm was protected.

Now, if they wanted to try and prove something, then CBS should have sent in a person that had an issue that should have shown up on NICS and would have been refused the purchase after the background check.

How? A Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer sold a firearm while following the law, including subjecting her to the federal background check? What laws should be put in place to prevent a FFL dealer from selling firearms?

Or have I misinterpreted what you said?

I get that they have an agenda. I just think they failed miserably. Also, if she transferred the firearm to an FFL then she didn't break the law. Did she and CBS as a whole use unethical and immoral means? Of course they did. Did they prove anything? Yeah, but not what they were aiming for, rather they proved that the laws work, and that the 2nd Amendment right of the lady buying the firearm was protected.

Now, if they wanted to try and prove something, then CBS should have sent in a person that had an issue that should have shown up on NICS and would have been refused the purchase after the background check.

I agree. Had CBS sent in someone with a known disqualification to purchase that weapon, and accurately reported the results, be it denial to purchase or successful purchase, that would have been honest and worthwhile benchmark test of the purchase procedures and checks.

But that's not what they did, is it?

Form what I gather, they sent in a known eligible person for purchase and made it look like the person off the street could do the same. That's pretty much a confirmation bias distortion of the facts, so in other words, lying to the viewers / electorate.

Last edited:
I agree. Had CBS sent in someone with a known disqualification to purchase that weapon, and accurately reported the results, be it denial to purchase or successful purchase, and reported it accurately, that would have been honest and worthwhile benchmark test of the purchase procedures and checks.

But that's not what they did, is it?

Form what I gather, they sent in a known eligible person with an FFL (?) for immediate purchase and made it look like the person off the street could do the same. That's pretty much a confirmation bias distortion of the facts, so in other words, lying to the viewers / electorate.

I didn't read it as the woman had an FFL, but rather sold it to an FFL after she bought it from another FFL. There's nothing wrong with that, and they didn't prove crap by doing so.

In Virginia, the state has not imposed a waiting period. Plus, it is supposed to be easy and quick to buy a firearm, even if there's a waiting period imposed by the state.

Why should it not be quick and easy? Walk in, pick the firearm and accessories that you want to purchase, fill out the Form 4473, wait for the background check to be approved, wait for any waiting period to expire, pay for the firearm and accessories, and go home with your purchase.

What's supposed to be the problem with that?

I didn't read it as the woman had an FFL, but rather sold it to an FFL after she bought it from another FFL. There's nothing wrong with that, and they didn't prove crap by doing so.

In Virginia, the state has not imposed a waiting period. Plus, it is supposed to be easy and quick to buy a firearm, even if there's a waiting period imposed by the state.

Why should it not be quick and easy? Walk in, pick the firearm and accessories that you want to purchase, fill out the Form 4473, wait for the background check to be approved, wait for any waiting period to expire, pay for the firearm and accessories, and go home with your purchase.

What's supposed to be the problem with that?

I agree. There's no problem with that from my view, however, there are many for whom this is a real problem, and want to impose more burdensome regulations and procedures and law abiding citizens wishing to purchase such a firearm.

I agree. There's no problem with that from my view, however, there are many for whom this is a real problem, and want to impose more burdensome regulations and procedures and law abiding citizens wishing to purchase such a firearm.

Then they need to buy a dictionary, and look up the definition of "infringe," and then read " ..., the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Our 2nd Amendment right has been infringed upon already, and no further infringement is acceptable.

For the same reason it's relatively expensive to transfer a house, cars, etc. They aren't toys.

I think that was kind of the point of the news bit. That they can change hands about as quickly as a pack of gum.

Yet nobody has shown that the Orlando shooter "cheated" in any way. If the goal is to stop future terrorists or criminals that have no criminal record then no amount of making everyone have more difficulty, delay and expense when buying guns is going to help.

Yet nobody has shown that the Orlando shooter "cheated" in any way. If the goal is to stop future terrorists or criminals that have no criminal record then no amount of making everyone have more difficulty, delay and expense when buying guns is going to help.

These people didn't cheat in order to obtain a gun either. That's kind of what is being pointed out here.

Sent from a flower watered by the tears of Trump supporters and crazy newb liberals.

??? Seems like a non-story to me.

I don't know all the gun laws but from the CBS article everything seems fine and I have zero issues with being able to get a gun legally has she did. As far as her LEGAL reselling it to a FFL? I don't care about that either nor does it seem she did anything illegal like the secondary links in OP try to claim. EVen more important the CBS report doesn't even make an issue out of the legal transfer so why do those links try? weird. CBS did nothing wrong.

The article was very accurate and did what they wanted. It proved it's easy for a legal citizen to easily obtain a gun as it should be. Some people will be bothered by that, I'm certainly not, if I wanted to buy a gun today that should be how easy it is for me.

These people didn't cheat in order to obtain a gun either. That's kind of what is being pointed out here.

Sent from a flower watered by the tears of Trump supporters and crazy newb liberals.

People with no criminal record can easily buy a gun - the horror! ;)

People with no criminal record can easily buy a gun - the horror! ;)

The problem isn't the lack of criminal records. It's the lack of accountability when these horrid actually occur.

What this reporter proved is that if you are willing to break the law there is little anyone can do to stop you.

Actually you know what this article has inspired me to do. If I can finance one I'm going to get an AR. I just don't feel like dropping 1000+ cash at the moment.

What do you think?

It's how practically the entire media is, nothing new here. You can't even go on a news channel right now without a journalist doing a segment on buying a gun to try and shift the narrative of Orlando into that direction. It's quite easy to understand how one might think Muslims are throwing flowers instead of rocks at the LGBT community in their countries with that type of journalism....Going out of there way to show tolerance for a religion that shows none in return.

Last edited:
What this reporter proved is that if you are willing to break the law there is little anyone can do to stop you.

This is the part I'm missing. I don't care about her buying a gun, she should have been able to do it that easy. What law did she actually break?

Except of course more stringent rules to obtain the guns in the first place.

What do you think?
see ARTICLE 5 of the CONSTITUTION,that is what i thank,it will take 38 states to ratify a change in the 2ed amendment and the obama white house knows they can not get 28 states to agree let aolne 38,so he the president of the UNITED STATES issues exc orders and circumvents the constitution and the republicans in both houses sit with their thumbs up their collective asses.
what did the republicans in congress do nothing.

run don run

Back
Top Bottom