• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CBS fact checks Trump, finds he lied

Of course not. Obama lied that one time!

Obama's "lie" wasn't even that much of a lie. "If you like your health plan, you can keep your health plan." The vast majority of Americans with private insurance are on group plans and did keep their plan. Of those that saw changes, I would be willing to bet that the number of Americans that had to switch plans in the individual market following the ACA is not that much higher than the number of Americans in the private individual market that would have been forced to switch plans due to changes in the market on any given year prior to the ACA. I am not in anyway arguing that he was being completely honest when he made the claim, but in terms of lies, it was more of a half truth as compared to Trump who just invents **** on a daily basis. Politifact called it their "lie of the year" because he wasn't competing with someone like Trump. Obama's lie of the year would be like saying something was the crime of the century in Iceland - a crime but nothing on the crimes committed by real criminals.

The funny thing of course is that the previous few politifact "lies of the year" were largely Republican attacks on the ACA like the "Death Panels" claim or "A government takeover of health care".

Last edited:
80% Of Central American Women, Girls Are Raped Crossing Into The U.S.
headshot
By Eleanor Goldberg

As the number of Central American women and girls crossing into the U.S. continues to spike, so is the staggering amount of sexual violence waged against these migrants who are in search of a better life.

According to a stunning Fusion investigation, 80 percent of women and girls crossing into the U.S. by way of Mexico are raped during their journey. That’s up from a previous estimate of 60 percent, according to an Amnesty International report.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/12/central-america-migrants-rape_n_5806972.html
#BOOM

Please explain how a wall that would then presumably require those women to rely on criminal human traffickers even more to get here, would reduce that number of women getting raped. How many women do you think will be raped by the traffickers that tunnel under the wall, smuggle them over in trucks, or cut through the wall?

O

The funny thing of course is that the previous few politifact "lies of the year" were largely Republican attacks e".

That's because Politifact is a left wing site

#Duhhhhh

Archived version with the fact check: https://web.archive.org/web/2019010...-border-wall-fight-government-shutdown-today/
Current version: https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/t...-border-wall-fight-government-shutdown-today/

I'm not exactly sure why Trump supporters think this helps their cause though, unless they think it is fun to deny safety to women and children who are victims of sexual violence. Additionally, my suspicion is that Trump and CBS were talking about two different contexts, though I'd have to read/listen to Trump's speech and I have no desire to do that.

Thank you. yes I agree it's all right wing bunk trying to own the libs when it really doesn't. It still proves that Trump was wrong, and a wall isn't going to solve this problem. The rapists will just rape the women behind the wall. Unless it's see through...

That's because Politifact is a left wing site

#Duhhhhh

Oh OK........ Sure.........

I got you, Trump is as honest as Jesus. Obviously that is why he enjoys stronger support among evangelicals than any president ever.

#LAME#COMEBACK

Trump said 1 in 3. The resistance warriors at CBS fact-checked it with Amnesty international and found it to be 60-80%

#OUCH

Sounds like it'd be a Jim Acosta report.

There's probably more rapists in your neighborhood. Because your neighborhood actually, you know, exists.
The OP named a source that “actually, you know, exists”. So, what’s your source for what, you know, “probably” goes on in the OP’s neighborhood?

80% Of Central American Women, Girls Are Raped Crossing Into The U.S.
headshot
By Eleanor Goldberg

As the number of Central American women and girls crossing into the U.S. continues to spike, so is the staggering amount of sexual violence waged against these migrants who are in search of a better life.

According to a stunning Fusion investigation, 80 percent of women and girls crossing into the U.S. by way of Mexico are raped during their journey. That’s up from a previous estimate of 60 percent, according to an Amnesty International report.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/12/central-america-migrants-rape_n_5806972.html
#BOOM

You probably didn't read your own link.

Rape can be perpetrated by anyone along the way, including guides, fellow migrants, bandits or government officials, according to Fusion. Sometimes sex is used as a form of payment, when women and girls don’t have money to pay bribes.

President Trump stated that a significant number of these ladies are sexually assaulted during their travel.

Trump declared that 1-in-3 women were assaulted on these trips, but CBS found him to be incorrect.

View attachment 67247765

#HAHAHAHH #FOOOLS

Where does it say the rape is committed by people in the caravan?

Sexual assault is always funny, yes.

Can we assume you unquestioningly believe and support Amnesty International now? I'd love to see someone post some of their other claims so we see you agreeing with them.

By the way. AI said what they "believed" almost 6 years ago. Was Trump worried about all those "ladies" being assaulted then? I'm sure he was. And the Republican base, too. What actions did you all take to go down and help the "ladies"?

The right is obviously concerned about the sexual violence these women encounter in Mexico

So concerned that they want to build a wall and deny them asylum so that these women are stuck in Mexico

President Trump stated that a significant number of these ladies are sexually assaulted during their travel.

Trump declared that 1-in-3 women were assaulted on these trips, but CBS found him to be incorrect.

View attachment 67247765

#HAHAHAHH #FOOOLS
That statistic from Amnesty Itl is over five years old and this is the only citation that I could find.

The right is obviously concerned about the sexual violence these women encounter in Mexico

So concerned that they want to build a wall and deny them asylum so that these women are stuck in Mexico
That's exactly what I don't understand. How do these Trump supporters actually think this statistic favors them?

Some great tweets

@CBS would rather cover for rapists just so they don’t have to be seen supporting Trump. Would rather delete the Fact Check.

— Steel Magnolia (@Southrngirl77) January 9, 2019

@CBS did your network ever….ever fact check any other president as he was speaking?
Any? ANY????
I don't get REALLY ANGRY often But, TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is beyond insane. Then to delete instead of just REPORTING the fact!
U R beyond redeemable.

— DarktoLight⭐️Nationalist (@Eileen2rte) January 10, 2019

#CBS=DEM OPERATIVES #CHUMPS

CBS fact checks Trump, finds he lied

In other news, water is wet and chocolate chip cookies taste good.

I just had one of them try to tell me he's concerned about the women being victims of "sex" (I assume he meant trade or assault).

I think the Trump fans believe everyone is as stupid as Trump believes his fans are.

Back
Top Bottom