• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CBO says immigration reform would cut deficit $175 billion

Kanstantine

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The US immigration bill is the economic reform we

Why? Because taxpaying immigrants would pay more into the government than they would take in benefits.

There is no way deficit hawk Conservatives could pass up a bipartisan plan to cut the deficit. Looks like immigration reform has something for everyone.

Why? Because taxpaying immigrants would pay more into the government than they would take in benefits.

There is no way deficit hawk Conservatives could pass up a bipartisan plan to cut the deficit. Looks like immigration reform has something for everyone.

I think that we should make it easier for immigrants to be LEGAL immigrants. I don't agree with amnesty and rewarding those who broke OUR laws with citizenship though.

For some reason, it tells me that Google Chrome could not find this link, so I can't access your link. Could be just me I guess. I've been having some puter problems. :shrug:

I think that we should make it easier for immigrants to be LEGAL immigrants. I don't agree with amnesty and rewarding those who broke OUR laws with citizenship though.

For some reason, it tells me that Google Chrome could not find this link, so I can't access your link. Could be just me I guess. I've been having some puter problems. :shrug:

Amnesty means all is forgiven.

The plan in the Senate isn't Amnesty.

There are still many ways in which these people could still be deported even if the plan passes.

They would be deported if they don't pay their back taxes, don't pay their fine, don't learn English, or commit a felony.

Does that take in to acount their qualification for the earned income tax credit, child tax credits and healthcare that is already in the works?

Amnesty means all is forgiven.

The plan in the Senate isn't Amnesty.

There are still many ways in which these people could still be deported even if the plan passes.

They would be deported if they don't pay their back taxes, don't pay their fine, don't learn English, or commit a felony.

I still can't read the link. I'll have to look it up on my own later or tomorrow (probably tomorrow) and get back to you when I know more about it. I just wanted to get those opinions in there. :)

For those who are interested, CBO's reports on the immigration legislation can be found at:

Economic impacts: http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/44346-Immigration.pdf
Budgetary impacts: http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/s744.pdf

While the exact numbers are uncertain, one can be reasonably confident that the legislation would have a net positive economic and budgetary impact. The New York Times reported the following of the 1986 immigration reform law:

Our history suggests we could have much to gain by turning illegal immigrants into citizens and putting an end to unauthorized immigration. The last time we permitted illegal immigrants to legalize, in 1986, incomes jumped for those who took advantage of the opportunity. Their children became more proficient in English and completed more years of school — becoming more productive and paying more taxes over their lifetimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/06/business/immigration-reform-issue-the-effect-on-the-budget.html

For those who are interested, CBO's reports on the immigration legislation can be found at:

Economic impacts: http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/44346-Immigration.pdf
Budgetary impacts: http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/s744.pdf

While the exact numbers are uncertain, one can be reasonably confident that the legislation would have a net positive economic and budgetary impact. The New York Times reported the following of the 1986 immigration reform law:

Our history suggests we could have much to gain by turning illegal immigrants into citizens and putting an end to unauthorized immigration. The last time we permitted illegal immigrants to legalize, in 1986, incomes jumped for those who took advantage of the opportunity. Their children became more proficient in English and completed more years of school — becoming more productive and paying more taxes over their lifetimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/06/business/immigration-reform-issue-the-effect-on-the-budget.html

Thanks for posting those. Now I won't have to search for them when I'm ready to do some reading.

CBO uses the numbers given to them by the supporters of any particular piece of legislation. The numbers used by the supporters are skewed to begin with. Not to mention that they don't take into account past the 10th year,nor the effects of these people sponsoring more people.

OP was banned already? Wow! :lol:

LOL only the low information crowd would fall for the same budget gimmicks used in obamacare to originally state obamacare would reduce deficits. OOPS now they say it will cost 1.8 TRILLION. Of course that's even low because it's not taken effect yet. Gee, the amnesty folks won't qualify for federal benefits but they will for state and local. CBO doesn't take this into consideration. Same report also states the proposed bill will reduce illegal immigration by just TWENTY FIVE percent. Hmmmmm unless you're a low information member, seems like we did the EXACT same thing in 86. Here we are, back at it. So....let's see if we reduce illegal immigration by 25 percent, the next time we do amnesty there will only be 34 million illegals.

Now the low information crowd doesn't really care adding 12million new folks to the job market will not only reduce job growth, but will also depress wages. Nope, shortly we'll hear from the same crowd, it's all Bush's fault wages continue to drop. What a country!!

LOL only the low information crowd would fall for the same budget gimmicks used in obamacare to originally state obamacare would reduce deficits. OOPS now they say it will cost 1.8 TRILLION. Of course that's even low because it's not taken effect yet. Gee, the amnesty folks won't qualify for federal benefits but they will for state and local. CBO doesn't take this into consideration. Same report also states the proposed bill will reduce illegal immigration by just TWENTY FIVE percent. Hmmmmm unless you're a low information member, seems like we did the EXACT same thing in 86. Here we are, back at it. So....let's see if we reduce illegal immigration by 25 percent, the next time we do amnesty there will only be 34 million illegals.

Now the low information crowd doesn't really care adding 12million new folks to the job market will not only reduce job growth, but will also depress wages. Nope, shortly we'll hear from the same crowd, it's all Bush's fault wages continue to drop. What a country!!

That's the first thing I thought of. The CBO has really shown itself to be unreliable.

It sounds like a load of horse ****.Granting Amnesty or some form of it will flood the labor market with 12-20 million plus people who are now able to work for companies who would not hire illegals. These 12-20 million will use welfare,food stamps and other tax payer funded assistance.Most of these 12-20 million illegals work low wage jobs,so they would not make enough to pay any federal income tax.Seeing how these 12-20 million people would flood the labor market they and the millions of additional visa workers would decrease the wages of actual Americans thus putting more people on welfare and other tax payer funded assistance.Since this Amnesty will go like the Reagan amnesty our illegal immigration problem will triple or quadruple in 20 plus years,so instead of 12-20 million illegals we will have 36-60 million illegals in 20 plus years.

I can't beleive the Democrats are using the CBO to push for more Low Information Voters.

It just goes to show that they think their supporters are as dumb as a bag of hammers.

It's of course BS, the CBO report, because they would have to know what the economy was going to do over the next 10 years.

Now that politicians have figured out how to game CBO, we might be better off if it was closed. They do the best they can with the info given, so the answers are easily gamed.

Back
Top Bottom