• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cause of Death FB Meme

Easily. I think it's like 1.25 per year. But, I haven't looked in a while.

The abortion rate is at 40 year low.

According to the CDC there were just under 700,000 legal induced abortions in the US in 2012.
In 2012, 699,202 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2012 was 13.2 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 210 abortions per 1,000 live births.

Compared with 2011, the total number and ratio of reported abortions for 2012 decreased 4%, and the abortion rate decreased 5%.

Additionally, from 2003 to 2012, the number, rate, and ratio of reported abortions decreased 17%, 18%, and 14%, respectively.

Given the large decreases in the total number, rate, and ratio of reported abortions from 2011 to 2012, in combination with decreases that occurred during 2008–2011, all three measures reached historic lows.

Data and Statistics | Reproductive Health | CDC

To give the credit to Nota Bene that he (she?) deserves, they aren't. For example the meme shows the number for heart disease to be at 282,038 when the real number is at about half a million. Seriously, whoever created the meme wasn't even trying to be accurate.

Heart disease deaths per year are about 600,000. So, 282K through 5-1/2 months is pretty close. No?

Except they aren't - especially the abortion one.

I'd have to agree. With, fewer than 700,000 abortions and falling in 2012, it is not likely that we had 500,000 already this year...probably closer to 350,000. But, the meme does seem to be correct in one respect: abortion is indeed the leading cause of death.

It seems to me that this is a valid issue over which to make a point. In the US, abortion is the leading cause of death for all humans known to have been conceived.

I'd have to agree. With, fewer than 700,000 abortions and falling in 2012, it is not likely that we had 500,000 already this year...probably closer to 350,000. But, the meme does seem to be correct in one respect: abortion is indeed the leading cause of death.

It seems to me that this is a valid issue over which to make a point. In the US, abortion is the leading cause of death for all humans known to have been conceived.

Actually , If you are including deaths of all concieved humans miscarriage would be leading cause since almost two third of zygotes either fail to implant or miscarry within the first of implantation ( before the woman is aware she has concieved).

Another 15 to 20 percent of known pregnacies ( where the woman is aware she is pregnant ) miscarry.

So I would think failure to implant/miscarriages is the leading cause of death of humans.

Incorrect. Very few women die from legal abortion.
:lol: true that.

I wonder is Plan B is going to start being counted? Technically it should not. But...it does make ya go hmmmm?

I always suspected that natural miscarriages outnumbered abortions. I have never seen hard numbers on that. I think the official number is 15% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage.

Each year there are approximately 4 million births in the U.S. ...

U.S. birth rates, population growth, and the environment - SUSPS

OK,
Births + Abortions + Miscarriages = Total Pregnancies; 15% end in miscarriage.

Simple math:
4M + 700K + X = T; X = .15T
4.7M + X = 6.67X
4.7M/5.67 = X ----> 840K miscarriages approx.

I guess I was right.

Actually , If you are including deaths of all concieved humans miscarriage would be leading cause since almost two third of zygotes either fail to implant or miscarry within the first of implantation ( before the woman is aware she has concieved).

Another 15 to 20 percent of known pregnacies ( where the woman is aware she is pregnant ) miscarry.

So I would think failure to implant/miscarriages is the leading cause of death of humans.

Yep. I just did the math. Based on the 15% number of known pregnancies, we have about 830,000 miscarriages. 20% more than the total number of abortions.

I wonder is Plan B is going to start being counted? Technically it should not. But...it does make ya go hmmmm?

I wonder how much planned B actually plays a part in abortion numbers decreasing.

I wonder how much planned B actually plays a part in abortion numbers decreasing.

Hard saying. But, I say the halving of the abortion numbers are a direct result of the abortion option being less desirable than keeping it. After all, an abortion costs about $1000 up front. Having a baby nets you about $1000 a month.

I always suspected that natural miscarriages outnumbered abortions. I have never seen hard numbers on that. I think the official number is 15% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage.

OK,
Births + Abortions + Miscarriages = Total Pregnancies; 15% end in miscarriage.

Simple math:
4M + 700K + X = T; X = .15T
4.7M + X = 6.67X
4.7M/5.67 = X ----> 840K miscarriages approx.

I guess I was right.

Plan B just prevents the egg from being fertilized by delaying ovulation.
It does not prevent an egg that was already released from being fertilized nor does it cause an already implanted egg to abort.

It only uses an artificial form of Progesterone.

Progesterone is used by doctors in IVF treatments to help the fertilized egg implant and stay implanted.

Progesterone is also used by doctors for patients who are at a high risk for miscarriage to help prevent miscarries during early pregnancy.

Hmmm....I bet this is true.

13442161_1613916348922165_386575410766752235_n.jpg

I must have missed those 501,325 death notices and funerals year to date.

I must have missed those 501,325 death notices and funerals year to date.

I'm pro-abortion, not just pro-choice. Although I am sure those numbers were stoked a bit, there is no denying that abortion is one of the leading causes of death for humans before and after birth---number one, not listed, is miscarriage. We did the math on that in another thread...maybe even this one. Who remembers these things after a few weeks...

I'm pro-abortion, not just pro-choice. Although I am sure those numbers were stoked a bit, there is no denying that abortion is one of the leading causes of death for humans before and after birth---number one, not listed, is miscarriage. We did the math on that in another thread...maybe even this one. Who remembers these things after a few weeks...
Yeah abortion is probably one of the leading causes of death for humans. Close to over 50 million to be exact every year.

Last edited:
Yeah abortion is probably one of the leading causes of death for humans. Close to over 50 million to be exact every year.

Yep. 40-50 million per year according to WHO. Amazing in the day and age of birth control, IMO.

that was exactly what I thought when I first saw the meme

I pretty much read it for what it was. Of course, I was going by old numbers from when we aborted about 1,000,000 fetuses a year here in the US. That number is now around 700,000. I don't know why people are squeamish about it. It is what it is. No reason to run from it.

I pretty much read it for what it was. Of course, I was going by old numbers from when we aborted about 1,000,000 fetuses a year here in the US. That number is now around 700,000. I don't know why people are squeamish about it. It is what it is. No reason to run from it.

well here's my take on it....

I have been here long enough to know that you are pro-choice

the fact that there would need to be 1,000,000 abortions in this day and age is to me frankly horrifying

it attests to the lack of education, and the poverty inherent in such a stat

I am pro-choice but I am not pro-abortion

I do not view the fetus as a human being with the need to be protected but I do not view abortion as the correct solution to unwanted babies

IF what you are claiming to be true is in fact true, we are socially lacking on a scale that is almost unthinkable

well here's my take on it....

I have been here long enough to know that you are pro-choice

the fact that there would need to be 1,000,000 abortions in this day and age is to me frankly horrifying

it attests to the lack of education, and the poverty inherent in such a stat

I am pro-choice but I am not pro-abortion

I do not view the fetus as a human being with the need to be protected but I do not view abortion as the correct solution to unwanted babies

IF what you are claiming to be true is in fact true, we are socially lacking on a scale that is almost unthinkable

I agree, and what bothers me is that those who are against abortion are also against providing birth control free and en masse. It boggles the mind.

My take on abortion is a bit more than just pro-choice. For example, if someone who does not want a baby gets pregnant or if two people who are a social mess conceive, I would recommend an abortion. But, of course, I am not in favor of forcing them to have one.

No, I think statisticians should refrain from ignorant hatemongering bull****.
FACTS ARE FACTS. HATEFULNESS IS OPINION. And it often is very important for statisticians to get details correct. For example, abortion opponents can be grouped into different categories, perhaps like this:
1. The Woefully Ignorant/Misinformed
2. The Religiously Brainwashed
3. The Stupidly Prejudiced
4. The Blatant Hypocrites
5. The Seduce-Her-And-Run Impregnators
6. The Greedy Business Owners and Preachers
7. The Strategic Rapists
All have different reasons to oppose abortion. You might qualify for more than one category, but you certainly wouldn't want to be statistically included in a category that doesn't apply to you, right? And therefore it makes perfect sense to divide deaths caused by abortion into two sub-groups, the actual persons affected, and the mindless animals affected.

FACTS ARE FACTS. HATEFULNESS IS OPINION. And it often is very important for statisticians to get details correct. For example, abortion opponents can be grouped into different categories, perhaps like this:
1. The Woefully Ignorant/Misinformed
2. The Religiously Brainwashed
3. The Stupidly Prejudiced
4. The Blatant Hypocrites
5. The Seduce-Her-And-Run Impregnators
6. The Greedy Business Owners and Preachers
7. The Strategic Rapists
All have different reasons to oppose abortion. You might qualify for more than one category, but you certainly wouldn't want to be statistically included in a category that doesn't apply to you, right? And therefore it makes perfect sense to divide deaths caused by abortion into two sub-groups, the actual persons affected, and the mindless animals affected.

I fall under the "scientifically well-informed" and "actually cares about human rights" categories, and you wouldn't on either count.

Referring to those you hate and want to see dead as "mindless animals" and "parasites" is just your despicable bigoted ranting and has no place in statistical objectivity.

Back
Top Bottom