• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

cats or dogs?

If it comes to make a choice, do you prefer cast or dogs as a pet?

• cats

• dogs

• neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cats don't bark.

Dogs rule, cats should be exterminated, the end.

@Rumpel: A suggestion...
Don't EVER create a poll question about cat vs dog without including a BOTH option.
Without that "BOTH" option your poll looks incredibly insincere, and I think you KNOW this, because MILLIONS of people do HAVE both.
Millions have pets (dogs) as well as cretins in their house that need to be exterminated (cats)? Orkin can help.

Millions have pets (dogs) as well as cretins in their house that need to be exterminated (cats)? Orkin can help.

Oh wow...what did the mean kitty do to you? 🤣🤣

(Miss Fiona Kitty - on her 7ft tall "fighting perch")
fionafightperch.jpg

The mean kitty did so many things to me. Mean, mean things.

Ah well, I just don't know what to say.
Everyone compliments us because every cat we've ever had turned out friendly, even affectionate, even to strangers.
I've even been able to train Fi to fight with no claws. (Velvet Paw)
Of course the dog is amused by this a little too much, so eventually the claws come out for a moment if Boops gets carried away.

Betty couch side view.jpg

Cats were a family thing going back generations. I'm a cat person, they're better for those of us who like quiet. My cat happens to think he's a dog, growls when someone knocks, follows me around the house, and is very un-cat like but I think that's because of his breed.

Cats were a family thing going back generations. I'm a cat person, they're better for those of us who like quiet. My cat happens to think he's a dog, growls when someone knocks, follows me around the house, and is very un-cat like but I think that's because of his breed.

What breed?

Tempted by dogs, but then I think about needing to take them outside for poopies in Wisconsin winters.

Cat wins.

A dog person because I am a bird person and I don't like cats and because growing up my Uncles liked to throw kittens on our backs.

Either one, as long as they don't live in my house.

@Rumpel: A suggestion...
Don't EVER create a poll question about cat vs dog without including a BOTH option.
Without that "BOTH" option your poll looks incredibly insincere, and I think you KNOW this, because MILLIONS of people do HAVE both.
Wait, anyone who grew up watching classic Tom & Jerry and Sylvester the cat knows that dogs and cats are perpetual mortal enemies, just as cats and tweetie birds are enemies! It's a natural fact just as sure as cheddar cheese is the primary food eaten by mice for millions of years!

Seriously though, as a kid in the mid to late 70s, I sincerely thought that cats and dogs were automatic enemies, and that dogs would kill cats on sight! It wasn't til my family eventually visited someone who actually had a cat and a dog, that I realized it wasn't usually true. I also remember laughing my butt off when we were transferred from NC to the Delaware valley in 1980, after years of watching the coyote and roadrunner cartoons, and saw that the main grocery store chain in Delaware was called "Acme"!

Spent most of my life traveling the world, so I could have neither.

Once I retired I've always had both.

Lately it's just cats (two).

Wait, anyone who grew up watching classic Tom & Jerry and Sylvester the cat knows that dogs and cats are perpetual mortal enemies, just as cats and tweetie birds are enemies! It's a natural fact just as sure as cheddar cheese is the primary food eaten by mice for millions of years!

Seriously though, as a kid in the mid to late 70s, I sincerely thought that cats and dogs were automatic enemies, and that dogs would kill cats on sight! It wasn't til my family eventually visited someone who actually had a cat and a dog, that I realized it wasn't usually true. I also remember laughing my butt off when we were transferred from NC to the Delaware valley in 1980, after years of watching the coyote and roadrunner cartoons, and saw that the main grocery store chain in Delaware was called "Acme"!

Dogs have a natural instinct to hunt cats as food, but if they're well fed, that instinct shifts to seeing cats as interesting toys first, which means they're still fascinated with them, but eventually conditioning takes over and they begin to appreciate them as companions.
My mother shopped at Acme. Then our Acme became a Safeway. She still shopped there anyway, but she complained about missing Acme.
I remember being momentarily confused because I expected the cartoons to switch to Safeway too, but they didn't!

If it comes to make a choice, do you prefer a cat or a dog as a pet?
I picked "neither". Not for the reason you think. I love animals.. just other people's animals!

Cats all day every day. Dogs are a menace.
So it is!
Or has anybody ever seen a cat runnining furiously towards you - barking aggressively?

Dogs also have the nasty habit of biting young children and babies TO DEATH!
Who can really love those monsters?

• Total voters 17
By now:

8 x cats
9 x dogs

Both.

Nothing is funnier than watching a 9 lb. cat put a couple 85 lb. dogs in it's torture chamber. My cat Gizmo would block the stairs every night at bed time, and our Labs would sit on the first landing whining away until the wife or I would break it up.

Giz would also walk right up to their food dishes at feeding time and cuff the hell out of them until they backed off.

Giz's favorite was climbing our Azaleas out back waiting for the dogs to go out, and then dive bomb them from 8-9 in the air..

With that said, they all really loved each other, and Giz slept snuggled up with my oldest Lab at every night in her doggy bed for 12 years.

Both.

Nothing is funnier than watching a 9 lb. cat put a couple 85 lb. dogs in it's torture chamber. My cat Gizmo would block the stairs every night at bed time, and our Labs would sit on the first landing whining away until the wife or I would break it up.

Giz would also walk right up to their food dishes at feeding time and cuff the hell out of them until they backed off.

Giz's favorite was climbing our Azaleas out back waiting for the dogs to go out, and then dive bomb them from 8-9 in the air..

With that said, they all really loved each other, and Giz slept snuggled up with my oldest Lab at every night in her doggy bed for 12 years.
I've seen videos online of cats blocking big dogs from using the stairs. The dogs are terrified. It's hilarious.

I love them both equally but if you put them together in your house the pet politics is better than anything you can watch on TV or whatever.

Cats usually win but dogs become surprisingly protective of the cat even if they fight all day long.

But I found that cats are way more resistant to another new cat than they are of a new puppy.

The best situation of all is getting a puppy and a kitten at the same time. They just want to play.

In God's own we have the well used phrase , cats and dogs , but it has a rather wet meaning .

Back
Top Bottom