• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Catholics who dislike/disagree with the Pope

It seems like there are a lot of self-described Catholics who dislike the Pope, believe he has erred in matters of church message, or openly reject church doctrine. Right now it's mostly hardliners who think Pope Francis is too soft, but it applied equally to progressives who thought Pope Benedict was a thousand years behind the times.

As a non-Catholic, I don't really understand this mindset. Isn't the whole core of being a Catholic (as opposed to some other type of Christian) that you believe the Pope derives his authority directly from Jesus, who appointed St Peter and passed that authority all the way down to the current Pope? How is it even possible to be Catholic if you think the Pope (and by extension, Jesus) makes doctrinal mistakes? And isn't it rather presumptuous to think you understand your religion better than Jesus's hand-picked ambassador to humanity?

I'm not looking for a nasty argument, I just want to understand this perspective better.
The church is build on a doctrine, a set of beliefs that serve as the foundation of what the church believes, teaches, and what those who belong to the church are expected to believe and follow. When you don't believe what the church believes then find another church or different faith. This is what is happening in the Methodist Church because of bitter divisions over same-sex marriage and the ordination of openly gay clergy.

As a non-Catholic, I don't really understand this mindset. Isn't the whole core of being a Catholic (as opposed to some other type of Christian) that you believe the Pope derives his authority directly from Jesus, who appointed St Peter and passed that authority all the way down to the current Pope? How is it even possible to be Catholic if you think the Pope (and by extension, Jesus) makes doctrinal mistakes? And isn't it rather presumptuous to think you understand your religion better than Jesus's hand-picked ambassador to humanity?
Catholics are not all stupid sheep - as non-Catholics always believe them to be.

Catholics are not all stupid sheep - as non-Catholics always believe them to be.
What I wanna know is why belong to an org you don't agree with? Talk about crazy...

Francis - or Franziskus - is not a good Pope!

The present Pope once raised hopes that he may improve the RCC.
But now it seems the he a master of empty words.
And a coward.

And a coward.
So, leave already...

And a coward.

Most popes turn out that way. The RCC sucks, nothing can ever change that.

Back
Top Bottom