• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Catholics in the Senate

2distracted

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I was surprised to find ...or thought I'd found..that the number of Catholic in the US Senate was representative of the US population, which has 20 to 25 percent Catholic except for a few states like OK and Mississippi that only have something like 6 percent and states like Rhode Island that have, I've heard, about 50 percent

Well, not surprisingly, not all those claim to be Catholic are Catholic.

Here's a list of the real ones, the ones who got a high rating from the Right to Life:

Johanns from NE
Risch from ID
Vitter, LA who all got a perfect rating from RTL

Less than perfect

Pat Toomey.. 94 percent
Murkowski, 68

In the House, the following got a perfect rating of 100 percent:

Steve Austria, OH
Brady, TX
Camp, MI
Diaz-Balart, FL
Fitzpatrick, PA
Fortenberry, NE
Foxx, NC
Gingrey, GA
Peter King, NY
Steve King, IO
Lotta, OH
Luetkemeyer, MO
Lungren, CA
McCaul, TX
Thad McCotter, MI
McHenry, NC
Devin Nunes, CA
Rooney, FL
Royce, CA
Schmidt, OH
Smith, NJ
Sullivan, OK
Tiberi, OH

Less than perfect rating from RTL

Ros-Lehtinen, FL, 99 percent
Chabat, OH, 98 percent
Jones, NC, 98 percent
Murphy, PA, 97 percent

I think Sean Duffy, WI, got a 100 percent...which reminds me that this list may be outdated somewhat..didn't see the date.

Then there are the fake Catholics ..I will list them another time

Last edited:

Yes there is, as in every single one of them (your problem is solved listing them.)

I was surprised to find ...or thought I'd found..that the number of Catholic in the US Senate was representative of the US population, which has 20 to 25 percent Catholic except for a few states like OK and Mississippi that only have something like 6 percent and states like Rhode Island that have, I've heard, about 50 percent

Well, not surprisingly, not all those claim to be Catholic are Catholic.

Here's a list of the real ones, the ones who got a high rating from the Right to Life:

Johanns from NE
Risch from ID
Vitter, LA who all got a perfect rating from RTL

Less than perfect

Pat Toomey.. 94 percent
Murkowski, 68

In the House, the following got a perfect rating of 100 percent:

Steve Austria, OH
Brady, TX
Camp, MI
Diaz-Balart, FL
Fitzpatrick, PA
Fortenberry, NE
Foxx, NC
Gingrey, GA
Peter King, NY
Steve King, IO
Lotta, OH
Luetkemeyer, MO
Lungren, CA
McCaul, TX
That McCotter, MI
McHenry, NC
Devin Nunes, CA
Rooney, FL
Royce, CA
Schmidt, OH
Smith, NJ
Sullivan, OK
Tiberi, OH

Less than perfect rating from RTL

Ros-Lehtinen, FL, 99 percent
Chabat, OH, 98 percent
Jones, NC, 98 percent

I think Sean Duffy, WI, got a 100 percent...

If you're baptized a Catholic, you're a Catholic. There are no qualifiers. Even excommunication does not change that.

If you're baptized a Catholic, you're a Catholic. There are no qualifiers. Even excommunication does not change that.

If you are going to Hell, as all those in mortal sin (unrepentant) are

What difference does it make?

I was so heartened to see all those in the House who are TRUE Catholics or at least RE the life issue

You'd think that ill - Hand would be pro life since she's Muslim but why do I doubt it?

No one has ever been baptized as a Catholic. The Catholic Church administers Christian Baptism. It is one of their seven sacraments.

If you are going to Hell, as all those in mortal sin (unrepentant) are

What difference does it make?

So is this a political thread or a religious thread. Seems to be heading more towards the latter and should be moved to the appropriate forum.

I was so heartened to see all those in the House who are TRUE Catholics or at least RE the life issue

You'd think that ill - Hand would be pro life since she's Muslim but why do I doubt it?

So what you are saying is that Catholicism requires their theology to be enforced at gunpoint by a government?

Reliable sources rate 2distracted as 73 percent forumer.

No one has ever been baptized as a Catholic. The Catholic Church administers Christian Baptism. It is one of their seven sacraments.

I don't get this.
The first sentence

I don't get this.
The first sentence

I mean it is inaccurate to say a person was baptized as a Catholic. In Church doctrine, a person is baptized as a Christian. If a baptized Christian of another denomination converts to Catholicism, it is not necessary for them to be baptized again. The first baptism is considered valid in Catholic doctrine.

Your powers of deductive reasoning need some work!

If Catholicism doesn’t require its theology be enforced at gunpoint, then why do they care what the law says about abortion?

If you are Catholic, don’t get an abortion and don’t make anyone get one. Is that sufficient?

What a ridiculous thread. Lets try to parse Americans as much as we can.

Catholics, real Catholics....give me a break. They are SENATORS And CONGRESSMAN. If you can't deal with that you are living in the wrong country.

I mean it is inaccurate to say a person was baptized as a Catholic. In Church doctrine, a person is baptized as a Christian. If a baptized Christian of another denomination converts to Catholicism, it is not necessary for them to be baptized again. The first baptism is considered valid in Catholic doctrine.

That is true

However, more info is given when it is said someone is baptized Catholic. That involves a commitment to raise the person Catholic

If Catholicism doesn’t require its theology be enforced at gunpoint, then why do they care what the law says about abortion?

I dunno...

Ummm.... Because it's murder?

Just a thought

That is true

However, more info is given when it is said someone is baptized Catholic. That involves a commitment to raise the person Catholic

No, you are missing the point. Baptism confers a character on the soul, according to Catholic teaching, which means every Christian baptism has equal validity. You are attempting to cling to your error that the sacrament of Baptism makes a person a Catholic. It does not.

I'm a recovering Catholic; 8 years of "parochial" school will do you in for organized religion for the rest of your life. Those ****ing nuns are mean.

No, you are missing the point. Baptism confers a character on the soul, according to Catholic teaching, which means every Christian baptism has equal validity. You are attempting to cling to your error that the sacrament of Baptism makes a person a Catholic. It does not.
That would be the sacrament of confirmation.

I'm a recovering Catholic; 8 years of "parochial" school will do you in for organized religion for the rest of your life. Those ****ing nuns are mean.

Have your knees recovered from the kneeling?

12 years enforced CCD and mass attendance. I stopped going at 18.

Those psychotic nuns sent so many letters home to my mom because I asked too many questions that I swore that they were pen-pals. I was threatened with a Catholic all-girls highschool, but it was a hollow threat as long as I got As-Bs.

Last edited:
Yeah, you seem to be in large company on this forum. I seem to be one of the few here that loved my Catholic education. I praise it, 'till today. I sent my kids too, which might be the highest praise.

Yeah, you seem to be in large company on this forum. I seem to be one of the few here that loved my Catholic education. I praise it, 'till today. I sent my kids too, which might be the highest praise.

My kids went to public school. Even then at the first parent - teacher night I would tell the teacher that if my kids needed discipline please let me know and I would take care of it. But! IF they laid a hand on my child I would sue them, the school, the school district and anybody else my lawyer could think of. Their eyes got real big; I was serious as a heart attack.

Last time I was in a Catholic church was to burry my Mom; I can't remember the time before that.

That would be the sacrament of confirmation.
This statement is not strictly true. Persons who have been confirmed in the Eastern Orthodox Church are not Roman Catholics but if they convert, so to speak, to Catholicism they are not confirmed again as that sacrament cannot be repeated, just like baptism. It follows from this that confirmation does not make a person a Catholic. Confirmation in other denominations is not recognized as valid because the ordinary minister of the sacrament is a bishop and the episcopacy of Protestant churches are considered by Rome to be heretical.

Back
Top Bottom