• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Catholic couples who practice the rhythm method of birth control are called parents

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The Story Behind the Catholic Church’s Stunning Contraception Reversal

Behind the official explanation for the continued ban on birth control was the need to maintain the link between sex and procreation, which was essential to the maintenance of the traditional, subordinate role of women, a key concern of the Catholic Church.

Years later, when the remembrance of so many other things had faded, the memory still remained crisp in her mind. She saw herself lying in the hospital bed, bleeding, writhing in agony. She remembered clawing at the curtain surrounding the bed, trying get help, certain she was going to die. Finally she managed to cry out, “God dammit, I can’t die. I have five children.”

Her cries roused her roommate, who summoned a doctor. The doctor managed to staunch the bleeding from the hematoma that had resulted from the birth of her fifth child. It was not an unexpected complication. She had hemorrhaged after giving birth to her fourth child. The doctors had warned her against any more pregnancies, but she was a devout Catholic and the church said that using birth control was a sin. So another pregnancy had followed quickly on the heels of the last, and a little over a year later she was again in danger of dying and leaving her children motherless. As she lay helpless on her bed, Jane Furlong-Cahill made a decision.”I decided that the pope can have all the kids he wanted. I was through,” she said.
====================================================================

The majority of Catholics practice some form of birth control. My parents were staunch Catholics who sent us to Catholic schools & attended Mass every Sunday. But I found condoms i my father's baggage & realized that my parents were hypocrites.

Behind the official explanation for the continued ban on birth control was the need to maintain the link between sex and procreation, which was essential to the maintenance of the traditional, subordinate role of women, a key concern of the Catholic Church.

Years later, when the remembrance of so many other things had faded, the memory still remained crisp in her mind. She saw herself lying in the hospital bed, bleeding, writhing in agony. She remembered clawing at the curtain surrounding the bed, trying get help, certain she was going to die. Finally she managed to cry out, “God dammit, I can’t die. I have five children.”

Her cries roused her roommate, who summoned a doctor. The doctor managed to staunch the bleeding from the hematoma that had resulted from the birth of her fifth child. It was not an unexpected complication. She had hemorrhaged after giving birth to her fourth child. The doctors had warned her against any more pregnancies, but she was a devout Catholic and the church said that using birth control was a sin. So another pregnancy had followed quickly on the heels of the last, and a little over a year later she was again in danger of dying and leaving her children motherless. As she lay helpless on her bed, Jane Furlong-Cahill made a decision.”I decided that the pope can have all the kids he wanted. I was through,” she said.

The majority of Catholics practice some form of birth control. My parents were staunch Catholics who sent us to Catholic schools & attended Mass every Sunday. But I found condoms i my father's baggage & realized that my parents were hypocrites.
I think you're being harsh on Catholics & your parents. To expect perfect fidelity to all tenets, dogma, and doctrines, of a formal religion, is unrealistic.

But you've also hit on what might be the biggest disagreement between the Church and the Laity - Birth Control!

You can't afford not to use effective artificial borth control because nobody can afford to have 10 kids and the mother not work outside the home. The Catholic church is till trying to deny reality.

You can't afford not to use effective artificial borth control because nobody can afford to have 10 kids and the mother not work outside the home. The Catholic church is till trying to deny reality.
I went to grade school with an Italian-American family that had 18 kids.

I think you're being harsh on Catholics & your parents. To expect perfect fidelity to all tenets, dogma, and doctrines, of a formal religion, is unrealistic.

But you've also hit on what might be the biggest disagreement between the Church and the Laity - Birth Control!
Hypocrites remain hypocrites. 'Do as I say, not do as I do.'

I went to grade school with an Italian-American family that had 18 kids.
My mother had 10 brothers and sisters. I had 4 sisters and a brother. My aunt had 7 kids.

I had 1 daughter..........

Women were considered broodmares, and all the restrictions on sex were geared completely towards creating more hands to put $$ in the avaricious church's offering plates. And when we werent being screwed or giving birth, we came in handy serving the men...also enabled by having few if any rights of our own.

The whole 'honoring' women thing was just bullshit not supported by anything, just propaganda. If you're allowed to beat, institutionalize, rape women...you're not honoring them.

My mother had 10 brothers and sisters. I had 4 sisters and a brother. My aunt had 7 kids.

I had 1 daughter..........
In my 20's in Norther NJ, I dated guys that were from families of 8, 10, and 14 kids. Yeah, all Catholic. And the mother of the one of 14 was dead. Big surprise.

Back
Top Bottom