• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cataracts

The docs think that I may need cataract surgery. They say “ it’s only a small incision in your eye!” There is no such thing as a “small incision” in my eye! Have any of the senior members here had this procedure performed? It is said to be “outpatient surgery.” What can I expect?
My cataracts are not yet at that stage. Most docs say wait until it affects your qualify of life. Those I know who have had the surgery say the improved sight, including colors is amazing and life changing.

I had both of my eyes done about two years ago when I could put it off no longer. My eyes had become so cloudy I had to have my children fill out forms for me.

It went really well; had no side effects and was able to see immediately albeit a little blurry for a day or two
Mine was blurry for a few hours but by last night and today was much better. The Doc says it will get even better over the next several weeks.

Left eye which was done is much better than my right. The right eye cataract isn't impacting my vision yet and the doctor says the difference is simply a brand new lense compared to what would normally be expected from a 65 year old one.
You will have to wear dark glasses for a couple of days and a shield at night for the affected area and be careful you don't get soap in your eyes when showering
I used the shield for the first time last night. I was afraid it would come off so I overdid it with the tape. Fortunately Fire Rescue was able to get the shield off this morning using The Jaws of Life 😆

Mayo is an amazing experience. I’m glad that we have one here.

So you were a Salk Baby. I’m guessing everything went wel.

My dermatologist often asks to bring in a student. I don’t mind at all. He’s an excellent guy and does a phenomenal job handing pre-cancer spots on my arms and legs as well as skin cancer spots.

My attitude is that if I can contribute to students learning from a fine physician, have at it.
You're doing a great service for students, and if your medical situation is strange, so very much the better.

Yes, I'm still here, so everything has been fine for me. I wonder about my children, though; my son had a 1-in-22 million rare tumor, and now my daughter, and there is great speculation about whether her massive tumor (now removed although there are two smaller ones still growing) was with her all her life.

I totally get that somebody has to provide guinea pigs, but I can tell you that I would NOT have let my kids be part of this very risky Salk experiment.

You're doing a great service for students, and if your medical situation is strange, so very much the better.

Yes, I'm still here, so everything has been fine for me. I wonder about my children, though; my son had a 1-in-22 million rare tumor, and now my daughter, and there is great speculation about whether her massive tumor (now removed although there are two smaller ones still growing) was with her all her life.

I totally get that somebody has to provide guinea pigs, but I can tell you that I would NOT have let my kids be part of this very risky Salk experiment.

Lord, nota! You have had a tougher than normal go as a mom. I hope your children are doing well now. You feel helpless when your kids are not well for whatever reason. Y'all are fortunate to have medical school nearby.

As an adult did you ever have a "what the hell were you thinking" discussion with your parents about volunteering you for the Salk experiment?

Mine was blurry for a few hours but by last night and today was much better. The Doc says it will get even better over the next several weeks.

Left eye which was done is much better than my right. The right eye cataract isn't impacting my vision yet and the doctor says the difference is simply a brand new lense compared to what would normally be expected from a 65 year old one.

I used the shield for the first time last night. I was afraid it would come off so I overdid it with the tape. Fortunately Fire Rescue was able to get the shield off this morning using The Jaws of Life 😆

Didn't you find it impossible to sleep with that damned shield on your eye?

As far as I am concerned the worst thing about the entire cataract procedure is trying to sleep one night with that f-ing shield taped to your head.

Didn't you find it impossible to sleep with that damned shield on your eye?

As far as I am concerned the worst thing about the entire cataract procedure is trying to sleep one night with that f-ing shield taped to your head.
It didn't bother me. I'm supposed to use it for a week. 😁

Lord, nota! You have had a tougher than normal go as a mom. I hope your children are doing well now. You feel helpless when your kids are not well for whatever reason. Y'all are fortunate to have medical school nearby.

As an adult did you ever have a "what the hell were you thinking" discussion with your parents about volunteering you for the Salk experiment?
No, I did not. The magnitude of their decision didn't really hit me until I was a parent myself. My father died while my son was still undergoing treatment, and my mother also had her first stroke...so it was too late to ask this question or many others.

I wish my kids both were, but my daughter is still going through it. Very difficult to see the suffering and be unable to do more than cheerlead, sigh.

Where I truly lucked out was my next-door neighbor growing up in Houston, not that we were ever close, had just finished a big-deal fellowship in Edinburgh, which is the place for orthopedic stuff and had, still absolutely inexplicably, decided to relocate to my community only weeks before my son's crisis and diagnosis. A bizarre decision then and now, but when my dad insisted that one of his cronies with all his experience handle my infant son's case, I was able to even more emphatically insist NO. Edinburgh training it will be.

No, I did not. The magnitude of their decision didn't really hit me until I was a parent myself. My father died while my son was still undergoing treatment, and my mother also had her first stroke...so it was too late to ask this question or many others.

I wish my kids both were, but my daughter is still going through it. Very difficult to see the suffering and be unable to do more than cheerlead, sigh.

Where I truly lucked out was my next-door neighbor growing up in Houston, not that we were ever close, had just finished a big-deal fellowship in Edinburgh, which is the place for orthopedic stuff and had, still absolutely inexplicably, decided to relocate to my community only weeks before my son's crisis and diagnosis. A bizarre decision then and now, but when my dad insisted that one of his cronies with all his experience handle my infant son's case, I was able to even more emphatically insist NO. Edinburgh training it will be.

1709907028185.png

I had my other eye done about an hour ago. Piece of cake.

I was less anesthetized than the first time so I was able to pay more attention to what was happening. I thought it was cool but for someone who's nervous it would be a bit scary.

Can't say enough about the nurses and staff - very professional and kind.

I was less anesthetized than the first time so I was able to pay more attention to what was happening. I thought it was cool but for someone who's nervous it would be a bit scary.

Ha, done! Yay! I don't remember a thing and am grateful--I do get the "stick a needle in your eye" thing--but for everyone considering or planning cataract surgery, here is your testimony. This procedure is easy-peasy, so...get 'er done!

There's a very good video below explaining how the surgery is done. It's animated so not a problem if you're squeamish.

My experience as well, for both eyes.

With the second one, I tried to "watch", but couldn't really see anything. Probably better that way...

Back
Top Bottom