• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Casual sex could be good for you New science is proving that casual sex could be good for you.

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Turns out that no-strings-attached sexy times are good for you, so don’t let the haters stop you from doin’ your thang.

A recent study conducted by researchers from NYU and Cornell dispels the popular notion that casual hookups — defined as sexual activity outside the context of a romantic relationship — will leave you with low self-esteem and depression. The research, published in the journal Social Psychology and Personality Science, involved a group of NYU students who kept a weekly diary over the course of 12 weeks documenting any and all adult snuggles — and the effect those instances had on their overall well-being.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I've never felt guilty or depressed after having made casual love to a stranger.

If both partners are under the impression that there's no commitment yet, then it's ok and fun. But if the other (females in my case) expects some emotional involvement, and you just want a one night stand or an acquaintance with benefits, then it gets uncomfortable. I had a few hook-ups, back years ago, that said it was only casual but became very upset when I didn't want more.

If both partners are under the impression that there's no commitment yet, then it's ok and fun. But if the other (females in my case) expects some emotional involvement, and you just want a one night stand or an acquaintance with benefits, then it gets uncomfortable. I had a few hook-ups, back years ago, that said it was only casual but became very upset when I didn't want more.
I don't think we'll ever figure out women. Too complicated.

Turns out that no-strings-attached sexy times are good for you, so don’t let the haters stop you from doin’ your thang.

A recent study conducted by researchers from NYU and Cornell dispels the popular notion that casual hookups — defined as sexual activity outside the context of a romantic relationship — will leave you with low self-esteem and depression. The research, published in the journal Social Psychology and Personality Science, involved a group of NYU students who kept a weekly diary over the course of 12 weeks documenting any and all adult snuggles — and the effect those instances had on their overall well-being.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I've never felt guilty or depressed after having made casual love to a stranger.

As an every once in a while kind of thing, its fairly harmless, so long as you mitigate the risk of disease. I imagine making a lifestyle out of it is liable to have some psychological impacts on all but the most specifically "niche" of personality types, however.

If you're already tied up in strings, casual sex with your partner is also quite healthy and keeps things from becoming routine.

As an every once in a while kind of thing, its fairly harmless, so long as you mitigate the risk of disease. I imagine making a lifestyle out of it is liable to have some psychological impacts on all but the most specifically "niche" of personality types, however.
I would agree. These meetings sometimes go in unintended directions, which take an unpleasant toll.

With this pandemic I wouldn't expect there to be meet strangers or anyone else outside my house
That's why I rstricted myself to total strangers where we didn't know anything more about the other other than what you looked like with clothes.

Man, when I was in college I was only into casual flings. And because I was a bartender in college that happened any night I wanted.

Ah.....good times.

Man, when I was in college I was only into casual flings. And because I was a bartender in college that happened any night I wanted.

Ah.....good times.

Lucky guy.

my sex is always casual. I never wear a suit or any sort of formal outfit.

That's why I rstricted myself to total strangers where we didn't know anything more about the other other than what you looked like with clothes.
That was one of the sticking points for me. Getting naked in front of a stranger was a bigger hangup than actually having sex.

If both partners are under the impression that there's no commitment yet, then it's ok and fun.
Agreed. If both go into it with the same expectations, or at least clear expectations, up front...nothing wrong with it. (Using BC/protection from STDs)

Can there be emotional consequences? Sure but that's the thing about being an adult...just about everything has consequences, and sometimes you end up facing them. 🤷 That's life. Enjoy while you can.

Agreed. If both go into it with the same expectations, or at least clear expectations, up front...nothing wrong with it. (Using BC/protection from STDs)

Can there be emotional consequences? Sure but that's the thing about being an adult...just about everything has consequences, and sometimes you end up facing them. 🤷 That's life. Enjoy while you can.

I used to think the adventure was worth the risk and did little personality evaluation. This usually did not work out well for me. I'd say test the waters a bit before jumping in.

When capitalists need to lower man to an animal state, in order to exploit him more easily, "science" comes to his aid and writes such "studies".

You didn't need to start an OP about it - I coulda told you that my friend :)

Insufficient data:
Off hand, I would suspect that the research period of only 12 weeks might not be long enough to draw conclusions about "overall well-being". A more comprehensive understanding might be had if the research period were over the the entire 4 years attending NYU. Over that period of time, more of the students might have either succumbed to the lows inherent in some emotional attachments, or in some way been victimized by the emotional attachments of their partners - neither of which will have a positive effect on their "overall well-being". The research period of only 12 weeks might just as well have been concluded by asking: Did it feel good getting laid last night? - "Well . . . DUH!"

I’m sure there’s a short term chemical release and it’s fine for awhile. Im not going to hate on casual sex and if it makes people happy Im all for it.

Just that friends and people I know, folks that keep it casual only don’t seem to be the happiest. I know it eventually got old for me. Maybe that’s how Im wired though and Im projecting.

I no longer play in that game, but as I recall, the "low self-esteem and depression" that I experienced after a casual hook up followed closely the refusal by that partner to have another one.

It's likely that the comparative levels of casualness and desperation were out of balance between the individuals in my hook ups.

Turns out that no-strings-attached sexy times are good for you.... overall well-being.

This is common ****in sense.

I no longer play in that game, but as I recall, the "low self-esteem and depression" that I experienced after a casual hook up followed closely the refusal by that partner to have another one.

It's likely that the comparative levels of casualness and desperation were out of balance between the individuals in my hook ups.
What were the expectations going into that casual hookup?

No it’s not good for you

Back
Top Bottom