• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Carville on McMorrow: Can the Dems Recover?

Michael Cole

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

• Greg Sargent The Washington Post

"Wokeness is a problem and we all know it,” James Carville recently told Vox in his inimitably splenetic way. The veteran strategist called on Democrats to distance themselves from “faculty lounge bulls—-,” and to undo their image as an “urban, coastal, arrogant party.”

This was widely treated as a breakthrough moment in the debate over whether Democrats have a “wokeness” problem. It was approvingly quoted by not one, but two major New York Times writers.
So I contacted Carville to ask what he thought of Mallory McMorrow.

Good article. McMorrow is gold right now and Carville loves her. I've been agreeing with Carville on the political liability of wokeness since he spoke out against it months ago. McMorrow has given the Democrats the key to the culture wars. She's a white, married, suburban, Christian mom. Not woke. Indeed, it's because of who she is that she supports marginalized people.

This is real, from Carville:

“She spoke English,” Carville told me. “She wasn’t defensive at all.” He noted that McMorrow personalized the issue, drew a sharp and legible contrast with Republicans, and even added in an argument about “roads and schools.”

“I’d show this clip as an instructional video,” Carville said. Asked if he’d advise other Democrats to talk this way, he said: “I would. I’m going to start talking that way.”

Where there's a viable plan, there's hope. The only question is, are the Democrats wise enough to pull it off?

"Wokeness is a problem and we all know it,” James Carville recently told Vox in his inimitably splenetic way. The veteran strategist called on Democrats to distance themselves from “faculty lounge bulls—-,” and to undo their image as an “urban, coastal, arrogant party.”

This was widely treated as a breakthrough moment in the debate over whether Democrats have a “wokeness” problem. It was approvingly quoted by not one, but two major New York Times writers.

Good article. McMorrow is gold right now and Carville loves her. I've been agreeing with Carville on the political liability of wokeness since he spoke out against it months ago. McMorrow has given the Democrats the key to the culture wars. She's a white, married, suburban, Christian mom. Not woke. Indeed, it's because of who she is that she supports marginalized people.

“She spoke English,” Carville told me. “She wasn’t defensive at all.” He noted that McMorrow personalized the issue, drew a sharp and legible contrast with Republicans, and even added in an argument about “roads and schools.”

“I’d show this clip as an instructional video,” Carville said. Asked if he’d advise other Democrats to talk this way, he said: “I would. I’m going to start talking that way.”

Where there's a viable plan, there's hope. The only question is, are the Democrats wise enough to pull it off?

So, "meat and potatoes" issues?

So, "meat and potatoes" issues?
Cold, hard, real pushback against hate-based propaganda. The key word is real. That woman poured her heart out, in no timid fashion.

Carville is right. Politically, Democrats are viewed as urban coastal elites. Arrogant, I think Carville said. Now, that doesn't mean the Democrats, as a whole, are arrogant. That's just public opinion. And that public opinion has been shaped by lies, propaganda, the exact thing McMorrow was exposing.

Democrats have a woke problem. McMorrow is the answer.

"Wokeness" - real or perceived - won't cost many moderate or centrist votes. It likely doesn't bother those clamoring for debt relief. It's a stick (or rather a schtick perhaps) that the GOP will always beat them with and as a lightning rod appeals only to those who wouldn't vote for Dems anyway.

What will cost them the midterms is unfulfilled promises more than anything else. Wokeness is barely a sideshow for people who care about real news and events.

For every Mallory McMorrow that the Democratic Party uses to try to bring the Party up, there is a Taylor Lorenz out there who is actually bringing the Party down.

Y'all don't have my sympathy.

Can the Dems Recover?​

Well they can if they stop beating around the bush and break the politics down to their least common denominator.

Every single Republican Congressman and Senator that voted no to the certification of the 2020 Presidential election should be disqualified from service.

Their oath the day they join the Congress or the Senate is to the Constitution and the Country, not to a man or a political party. They have proven themselves lacking even at that very basic, first standard for public service at the federal level. We don't have to guess about their allegiances, they have proven them with their vote on 1/6. It doe not matter if you think said Congressman caught on the horns of this basic standard has a nice face, or comes from your hometown or "seems to agree with you". He has failed at a very basic standard for public service. Anyone claiming to be an actual American voting in 2022 should simply consider those Congressmen and Senators disqualified and vote them OUT.

Tell me, would we knowingly accept a foreign intelligence officer as qualified to serve in the Congress or Senate of the United States? NO WE WOULD NOT! We would not because he would not be qualified at the very basic level of allegiance to the Constitution and the Country.

For every Mallory McMorrow that the Democratic Party uses to try to bring the Party up, there is a Taylor Lorenz out there who is actually bringing the Party down.

Y'all don't have my sympathy.
And what elected offices do either the editors of the Washington Post or Taylor Lorenz hold?

And what elected offices do either the editors of the Washington Post or Taylor Lorenz hold?
None, but that doesn't diminish their influence.

Back
Top Bottom