• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cartoonist Fired From Farm News for Pro-Farmer Cartoon

Ahlevah

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Rick Friday was not immediately available on Wednesday to explain why he was fired after two decades working as a cartoonist for Farm News. That is because he was feeding the cows on his Iowa farm, as he does early every morning before most people have gone to work. But the cartoon that got him into trouble last week had already spoken for him, circulating online well beyond the audience of the thousands of Farm News readers of his weekly “It’s Friday” column, which has been published since 1995.

The cartoon shows two farmers, in overalls and skewed baseball caps, chatting at a fence.

“I wish there was more profit in farming,” one farmer says.

“There is,” the other replies. “In year 2015 the C.E.O.s of Monsanto, DuPont Pioneer and John Deere combined made more money than 2,129 Iowa farmers.”

After the cartoon was published last Friday, Mr. Friday said he was told in an email from an editor the next day that the cartoon would be his last for Farm News because a seed company had withdrawn its advertising in protest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/business/media/cartoonist-fired-from-farm-news.html?_r=0

I guess he hit just a little too close to home for somebody in Big Agriculture. Should we give a **** about this? After all, it's just a newspaper for farmers in Iowa.

I guess he hit just a little too close to home for somebody in Big Agriculture. Should we give a **** about this? After all, it's just a newspaper for farmers in Iowa.

Actually, that was quite a cute cartoon.

Sad state of affairs our country is in these days..

he bit the hand that feeds him.

newspapers make their money from advertising

Monsanto isn't known for playing nice.

he bit the hand that feeds him.

newspapers make their money from advertising

Actually, the farmers in Iowa who buy issues of Farm News feed the owners, because if there were no circulation there'd be no interest in advertising in it. And the CEOs of Deere, Monsanto, DuPont Pioneer, CF Industries, Cargill, Archer Daniels Midland, etc. all work for the farmers who buy their seeds, equipment, and fertilizer.

Sad state of affairs our country is in these days..

And "The Establishment" wonders why people are pissed off? Trump wins the Heartland. :2wave:

Actually, the farmers in Iowa who buy issues of Farm News feed the owners, because if there were no circulation there'd be no interest in advertising in it. And the CEOs of Deere, Monsanto, DuPont Pioneer, CF Industries, Cargill, Archer Daniels Midland, etc. all work for the farmers who buy their seeds, equipment, and fertilizer.

actually, the farmers in a large part of Iowa get it for free. it is commercial pretending to be a newspaper.

Subscriptions | Farm News

actually, the farmers in a large part of Iowa get it for free. it is commercial pretending to be a newspaper.

Subscriptions | Farm News

Sort of like Google then, which rakes in tens of billions of dollars in advertising from people who pay nothing but click. Same principle: The advertisers are paying for eyeballs. No eyeballs, no buyers, hence no ad revenue.

Sort of like Google then, which rakes in tens of billions of dollars in advertising from people who pay nothing but click. Same principle: The advertisers are paying for eyeballs. No eyeballs, no buyers, hence no ad revenue.

sure, if google was in print.

If I was a subscriber I would drop my subscription in protest.

Back
Top Bottom