• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Carrying on Campus: who stops me?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
College campuses. No carry zone. Why? We have all heard the haggard excuses. They don't want to make it a shooting gallery right? Kids aren't safe with guns right? They can't be responsible. Never mind that is part of what going to college is about (responsibility...idk if anyone remembers that concept anymore).

But what stops me? I'm curious? Do they have metal detector on campus? What about the public transit that goes there? What stops people from crossing the street and going right in with a gun? Nothing right? An otherwise law abiding citizen could just stroll right into campus without being stopped.

So. What stops the criminal from doing it? Who stops them?

That's a question being asked all over the country. There are a few states that allow concealed-carry on campus, and I don't think there have been any problems.

In some states, it's legal to have a gun in your vehicle, but I am absolutely certain that in most workplaces, somebody has a weapon locked away in a file cabinet.

Virginia Tech was a wake-up call, and so was Jared Loughner, OMG. Some campuses have had CIRT teams for years; others are creating them and installing more cameras, and training faculty and staff on the difference between a shooter and an active shooter, "run-hide-fight," and tightening up disciplinary codes.

Do you think that concealed-carry on campus should be allowed?

So go ahead and carry. If you have a CCW permit, carry it concealed by that I mean no printing, no fumbling, nobody knows. A very observant person may suspect I am carrying as my P32 has a pocket clip and when I'm wearing my normal clothes, cargo pants or shorts, it appears there is a pocket knife in my right outside pocket. But there is another one in my right front pocket. The front pocket actually is a pocket knife, the other a pistol. But I have spent weekends out walking in tourist towns with my wife and she was unaware I was carrying.

School administrators are torn between two sides: On one hand they want to pander to their liberally biased students who are too young to know any better, and make them feel safe by assuming since the signs say "no guns" that there actually are none. On the other hand they want safety, bubt the two are difficult to balance. Part of the problem is that the students are so incapable of taking care of themselves (for the most part) that they don't trust others to do it either, and in turn trust the "government" as a huge ambiguous "they" to do it, thereby removing the concept that their protection ultimately comes from individuals with firearms and training.

So be the good guy. Get your permit, carry in a completely stealthy way and feel secure that at least YOU are protected without being held back by the insecurity of others.

That's a question being asked all over the country. There are a few states that allow concealed-carry on campus, and I don't think there have been any problems.

In some states, it's legal to have a gun in your vehicle, but I am absolutely certain that in most workplaces, somebody has a weapon locked away in a file cabinet.

Virginia Tech was a wake-up call, and so was Jared Loughner, OMG. Some campuses have had CIRT teams for years; others are creating them and installing more cameras, and training faculty and staff on the difference between a shooter and an active shooter, "run-hide-fight," and tightening up disciplinary codes.

Absolutely. What is CIRT?

I think there is no sensible reason to forbid 21yo+ with valid CCW permits from carrying. People will freak out and go "OMG! Irresponsible college students!! Booze and weed and guns!!!" :roll:

Well first of all we're talking about 21 and older here, and you're not supposed to carry when you're ferked up anyway. Also, since most campus (campii?) have nothing to really STOP people from carrying a concealed gun illegally, the only thing this would do is allow the law-abiding to go armed and protect themselves and others.

And the 21+yo college student with CCW is probably ALREADY carrying a gun off campus anyway, and presumably not causing mayhem in the process... the assumption that the minute he steps on campus he will suddenly be high and drunk and stupid and careless is ridiculous if he's already carrying responsibly AWAY from campus.

College isn't supposed to be ABOUT booze and drugs anyway. Or so I've heard. :roll:

College campuses. No carry zone. Why? We have all heard the haggard excuses. They don't want to make it a shooting gallery right? Kids aren't safe with guns right? They can't be responsible. Never mind that is part of what going to college is about (responsibility...idk if anyone remembers that concept anymore).

But what stops me? I'm curious? Do they have metal detector on campus? What about the public transit that goes there? What stops people from crossing the street and going right in with a gun? Nothing right? An otherwise law abiding citizen could just stroll right into campus without being stopped.

nothing at all, criminals dont care about laws, this is why many guns laws (real and suggested) are a waste of time and only punish and endanger ME the law abiding citizen and empower the criminals. I support guns laws as long as they dont do the formerly mentioned.

personally i dont think there should be many places at all one cant carry. I do understand some exceptions but colleges campus shouldn't be one IMO. The normal carry rules should apply.

Courthouse and some other government buildings i get, airports, no carry by the PUBLIC at nuclear facilities but not much else just things of that extreme nature.

I also believe that EVERY state should be open carry i cant even fathom that there are stats that arent, blows my mind and my CWP(conceal weapons permit) should be honored in every state just like my drivers license.

Nothing stops them, obviously.

gunfreezonecartoon.jpg

I think there is no sensible reason to forbid 21yo+ with valid CCW permits from carrying. People will freak out and go "OMG! Irresponsible college students!! Booze and weed and guns!!!" :roll:

Well first of all we're talking about 21 and older here, and you're not supposed to carry when you're ferked up anyway. Also, since most campus (campii?) have nothing to really STOP people from carrying a concealed gun illegally, the only thing this would do is allow the law-abiding to go armed and protect themselves and others.

And the 21+yo college student with CCW is probably ALREADY carrying a gun off campus anyway, and presumably not causing mayhem in the process... the assumption that the minute he steps on campus he will suddenly be high and drunk and stupid and careless is ridiculous if he's already carrying responsibly AWAY from campus.

College isn't supposed to be ABOUT booze and drugs anyway. Or so I've heard. :roll:

agreed but some will simply ignore this common sense:thumbs:

Absolutely. What is CIRT?

Critical Incident Response Team. These are primarily comprised of ordinary employees who have undergone extensive and continuing training (including being certified to operate an AED (debrillator) and who take responsibility, working with the police and other first-responders, for buildings and other designated areas.

This idea that people can not be trusted is started at a very early age. I look at when I was a kid, almost everybody had a pocket knife. These days you can't have one in school because it is a "weapon". Bull****. It's a tool. I use mine every day for a number of things, not once have I ever used it as a weapon. I have managed to cut myself with it on occasion, nothing serious, but that is part of learning how to use it and respecting it.

My son is 11, and he has a pocket knife. Of course he can't carry it at school, but I expect him to have it the rest of the time. There are 4 things I expect him to put in his pockets. His wallet, his pocket knife, chap stick and wax for his braces. And I expect him to always have them (except of course for the knife at school). See if you carry a pocket knife you will likely us it for lots of things and get used to having it. After you nick yourself a couple of times you learn to respect it, and you stop looking at it as a weapon. As far as carry pistols go it is no more uncommon for me to grab my carry pistol when I leave the house as it is to grab my wallet, keys and phone, and I've never even drawn it on anyone. Haven't needed to. But it is a normal thing for me to have, just like the machete in my truck. I've saved myself a lot of time not having to park at a tree across the driveway and walk a 1/4 mile up the hill to get a chainsaw to deal with a downed tree. It is normal to see people here with a pistol on their hip or a rifle of shotgun in a rack in their car/ truck/ minivan, and nobody thinks twice about it. THAT is what we need to get back to. Not just having them available, but getting to the point where they are so common that they no longer even draw attention.

Well, not about partying per se, but looking back, I'd say my education in living independently for the first time and being responsible for myself (and seriously screwing up and having to swim back upstream to the finish line) mattered every bit as much as the schooling.

Critical Incident Response Team. These are primarily comprised of ordinary employees who have undergone extensive and continuing training (including being certified to operate an AED (debrillator) and who take responsibility, working with the police and other first-responders, for buildings and other designated areas.

Good deal. I'm a member of CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) where we coordinate with local emergency services in the event of a disaster. We are also trained in AED and medical response. We need a lot more citizen involvement in programs like that.

interesting, a good idea but i would still want both

im a member of a ERT (emergency response team) at my work, no guns though but we do get first aid, AED and CPR training along with some very limited bio-hazard training for chemicals, gases and blood.
And in the school district I volunteer at because they are aware of this training i am on the . . . . .wait for it . . . . . . . Student-School Health, Safety, Well being and Critical Lockdown team. Again no guns but now the district has armed security guards, cameras and buzzers.

Last edited:
Well, not about partying per se, but looking back, I'd say my education in living independently for the first time and being responsible for myself (and seriously screwing up and having to swim back upstream to the finish line) mattered every bit as much as the schooling.

Yup... bear in mind, by the time they have CCW they're 21, so they've already had 3 years of semi-independent living to get some hard knocks, learn some things, and if they are still wildly irresponsible at 21 they've probably already flunked out of college anyway. Many do.

Yup... bear in mind, by the time they have CCW they're 21, so they've already had 3 years of semi-independent living to get some hard knocks, learn some things, and if they are still wildly irresponsible at 21 they've probably already flunked out of college anyway. Many do.

Yet they can still be carried on their parent's insurance. Go figure...

Well stated. If they pass the background checks and feel comfortable carrying by all means let them. There is nothing that instills personal responsibility like taking your own safety and the consequences of your own safety on. If we expect college students to become responsible adults, the last thing we need to do is scare them in to thinking they are helpless and need some mysterious "other" with a badge to protect them.

I like a cold beer too. It's Friday night, I'll be picking some up on the way home. And before the first top is popped the firearms are secured. We don't mix the two. Unless the college student is constantly drunk or high there is no reason they can't carry. Set up the safety parameters, follow them to the letter, and live your life as a more self reliant and confident person.

Last edited:
Yet they can still be carried on their parent's insurance. Go figure...

Yeah. That's why I said semi-independent, and was tempted to add quotes and a roll-eyes smiley in addition, since most of the time they are anything BUT independent... just out from under close parental scrutiny.

Good deal. I'm a member of CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) where we coordinate with local emergency services in the event of a disaster. We are also trained in AED and medical response. We need a lot more citizen involvement in programs like that.

interesting, i dont think there is anything like that in my area but we have volunteer fire departments out the wazooo. And i want to join my local one but i have to wait until my daughter is in college. Between work, all her extra circulars (softball, band, cross country and debate team), me coaching practically 10 months out the year (being on two different athletic boards), volunteering in my school district and at kids connection (also a board member) i just dont have the time.

but im still good look into a "cert" anyway

Yep. Emergencies are what they are--spontaneous--and having folks in every building who know the exit routes and where to "shelter," just this, saves lives. Even minutes count in a crisis, so having people in place who know what to do before the first-responders arrival is critical.

The college would likely expel someone if they were caught and being expelled for having a weapon on campus probably wouldn't look real good on your transcripts. That said, I know of an incident that happened while I was in law school where a person of special concern brought a gun on campus that was handled without law enforcement on condition of certain things. That is a fancy way to say the guy was nutty as a fruitcake and was having a slow breakdown of some sort and his family had him committed to a mental hospital so the University was satisfied with his "withdrawal" the direction he never set foot on their property again, and his being locked up in the looney bin for so long as the doctors felt it was necessary. What I was told was he had it in a parking lot waving it around and then left campus.

My graduate university allowed concealed carry on campus and there was never an issue one way or the other.

interesting, i dont think there is anything like that in my area but we have volunteer fire departments out the wazooo. And i want to join my local one but i have to wait until my daughter is in college. Between work, all her extra circulars (softball, band, cross country and debate team), me coaching practically 10 months out the year (being on two different athletic boards), volunteering in my school district and at kids connection (also a board member) i just dont have the time.

but im still good look into a "cert" anyway

I highly recommend it. The initial training is 18 hours. We did 6 consecutive Monday night's, 3 hours each. But after that FEMA and your state EMA cover a lot of costs. Talk to your local emergency management office. From there you can get a wide variety o f training at little or no expense. I have to re-up my Wilderness First Responder (medic/evac) cert this fall (every two years), the initial course cost me $250, because of CERT my 're-up will be free. We have guys who do search and rescue, fast water rescue, high angle rescue, whatever you want you can get. It's good for your community, at the very least it makes you better equipt to take care of you and your family.

The college would likely expel someone if they were caught and being expelled for having a weapon on campus probably wouldn't look real good on your transcripts. That said, I know of an incident that happened while I was in law school where a person of special concern brought a gun on campus that was handled without law enforcement on condition of certain things. That is a fancy way to say the guy was nutty as a fruitcake and was having a slow breakdown of some sort and his family had him committed to a mental hospital so the University was satisfied with his "withdrawal" the direction he never set foot on their property again, and his being locked up in the looney bin for so long as the doctors felt it was necessary. What I was told was he had it in a parking lot waving it around and then left campus.

I wouldn't attend a college that did not allow me to protect myself or have the ability to protect me. As for the nutter, that is very rare and his family should have handled that just like taking away the car keys from crazy old grandpa. But being expelled from a college for carrying a legal weapon with a permit? Come on down to Georgia or Texas, I'm pretty sure you could hook up a scholarship for having the balls to exercise your rights in a nanny state. I know I would contribute. I have no interest in producing meek college graduates. We have enough sheep, what we need are citizens.

I tell my students (rifle instructor) there are three things we should each have as just the basics: a pocket knife, a carry permit, and a copy of the Constitution. I hand out pocket Constitutions at my shoots. They cost me $1 apiece and I am never sorry to have to order more. If I order 100 at a time the shipping is free.

Last edited:
I wouldn't attend a college that did not allow me to protect myself or have the ability to protect me. As for the nutter, that is very rare and his family should have handled that just like taking away the car keys from crazy old grandpa. But being expelled from a college for carrying a legal weapon with a permit? Come on down to Georgia or Texas, I'm pretty sure you could hook up a scholarship for having the balls to exercise your rights in a nanny state. I know I would contribute. I have no interest in producing meek college graduates. We have enough sheep, what we need are citizens.

I have a JD/MBA. My desire to sit in a classroom ever again equals absolute zero.

Back
Top Bottom