• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Carpet removal of stairs?

herenow1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Anyone ever do their stairs? We have 22 stairs and a landing, and are thinking about laying the wood ourselves. Some people say it's super easy, some say it's hard.

Anyone ever do their stairs? We have 22 stairs and a landing, and are thinking about laying the wood ourselves. Some people say it's super easy, some say it's hard.

I've never done it myself, but just about everyone I know says use a professional for it. There's a lot of tucking and attaching, and that if it's not done 'just right', can lead to not only problems with the carpet, but trip and fall down the stairs if it come loose.

Carpet, hardwood, or laminate ?? Whatever you choose is not a quick and easy job for a novice.

Thom Paine

Last edited:
Pretty easy usually. You can buy the replacement round nose stair boards and cut to length. Easy peasy.

The tricky part might be stair tread width. Most homes have a construction standard but older homes may have been built to a different code. If you are doing what would be considered renovation there might be a code issue and that could make things more difficult. We had narrow stairs in a property and had to change it all out...it was a pain.

Carpet, hardwood, or laminate ?? Whatever you choose is not a quick and easy job.

Thom Paine

Laminate that looks like wood. We just paid someone to do our upstairs floor(laminate-wood-interlocking) and we got matching laminate. It took 2 guys 9 hrs to finish. I 'think' my hubs is capable with my help, but it will most likely take us several days. I'm fine with that.

There are a lot of home projects I'm willing to take on myself. Stairs ain't one of 'em. It's just tedious.

Laminate that looks like wood. We just paid someone to do our upstairs floor(laminate-wood-interlocking) and we got matching laminate. It took 2 guys 9 hrs to finish. I 'think' my hubs is capable with my help, but it will most likely take us several days. I'm fine with that.

Okay. Consider how you will apply the laminate in relationship to the balustrade; how you will finish the tread nose; and the riser. The first two often give beginners a challenge... if you have a plan and the proper tools and don't expect a quick and easy job ... go for it... there are different laminates and installation supplies.. pay close attention to mfr. suggestions... be calm it could be a fun project ( or prelim to a divorce :lol: ) for the two of you.

Thom Paine

Are you talking about replacing the carpet with laminate? Over the existing wood stair? I agree with Mr Payne...as in...that might be a serious pain. Just as easy (and maybe cheaper to replace the whole stair and stain it to match your laminate. Not even really able to visualize a laminate stair with the nose. Out of curiosity do you have pics of a model you are hoping to follow?

Disregard...just looked it up. I had never even considered that before. It actually looks as easy as installing any other laminate flooring.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand what you are really asking. Are you asking about removing carpet from stairs, then covering them with new wood, and what the difficulty level is?

An afterthought... Was your previous installation floating or adhered ?? If floating ... another consideration will be any needed wall trim in the stairwell. hmmm,... My mind is running amok with possible variations being unable to see the project. I'll get Carpal fingers trying to type some possible caveats ... Oh hell, just have fun with it! :wink3:

Thom Paine

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand what you are really asking. Are you asking about removing carpet from stairs, then covering them with new wood, and what the difficulty level is?

Yes! I've had quotes from 1grand to $400. Just trying to save a buck.

Well, I would venture a guess that removing the carpet won't be easy, and installing the new covering would be simple if you have the right tools for the job. If the $400 includes materials, that sounds like an excellent price to me.

DIY'ing jobs can sound like it's simple, and will save a lot of money, but it's not often the case if you don't have all the tools you need. In addition to that, there's your own labor to consider. I myself am a big DIY'er, but it's mostly because I want things done my way. :lol:

An afterthought... Was your previous installation floating or adhered ?? If floating ... another consideration will be any needed wall trim in the stairwell. hmmm,... My mind is running amok with possible variations being unable to see the project. I'll get Carpul fingers trying to type some possible caveats ... Oh hell, just have fun with it! :wink3:

Thom Paine

I would say non floating since it has carpet right now. My husband does have a cutting saw but I don't know if it's the right kind. He makes gun holsters with it and the saw is round. Our stairs are also unique. We have one straight up stairway, and then off to the side the stairs connect to the landing, so it looks like two sets of stairs.

As DIY project it is not super easy, but a competent carpenter can do it fairly quickly. Caution should be used to not make the first/last step spacing change too much, so the thinner the covering the better in that regard. Unless it does not touch the stair treads at all, care must be taken to keep the existing railing from getting damaged during the project, unless you intend to replace that as well. There are many decent prefinished DYI products made for this job. Using unfinished hardwood saves money but increases the complexity considerably since it must be sanded, finished and sealed as well.

EZTREAD STAIRCASE REFACING SYSTEM® WOOD STAIRS

Stair Covers - Prefabricated Hardwood Stair Caps | NuStair

How to Cover Stairs with Hardwood | eHow

I would say non floating since it has carpet right now. My husband does have a cutting saw but I don't know if it's the right kind. He makes gun holsters with it and the saw is round. Our stairs are also unique. We have one straight up stairway, and then off to the side the stairs connect to the landing, so it looks like two sets of stairs.

OOPS! :doh I did not properly phrase my question. Concerning the flooring that you paid to be installed... was that laminate floating or adhered? Go to the mfrs. website to look for technical installation info. applicable to your specific needs... if not to your exact needs, determine the type of laminate you have ( there are different manufacturing processes ) paying close attention to expansion/contraction specs to help determine the proper procedure; search the web for install info for that specific type of laminate. The goal is to finish with the appearance of a professional job. :)

Thom Paine.

Any bid under $30 per step should be rejected. Saving a buck is having the job done right the first time. ;)

Any bid under $30 per step should be rejected. Saving a buck is having the job done right the first time. ;)

The guy that wants $400 actually showed me pics of his work, and sent ref's. He charges by the day, not by the stair, and his work was nice. The guy that did our upstairs only charged us a little over $500, and he was the one that quoted a grand. I think he said $45 a stair.

BTW-he said it would take a whole day.

OOPS! :doh I did not properly phrase my question. Concerning the flooring that you paid to be installed... was that laminate floating or adhered? Go to the mfrs. website to look for technical installation info. applicable to your specific needs... if not to your exact needs, determine the type of laminate you have ( there are different manufacturing processes ) paying close attention to expansion/contraction specs to help determine the proper procedure; search the web for install info for that specific type of laminate. The goal is to finish with the appearance of a professional job. :)

Thom Paine.

It's all good. I never use the correct terminology when it comes to this stuff.

The guy that wants $400 actually showed me pics of his work, and sent ref's. He charges by the day, not by the stair, and his work was nice. The guy that did our upstairs only charged us a little over $500, and he was the one that quoted a grand. I think he said $45 a stair.

Not enough information was given to offer more accurate advice on this matter. Whether the railing contacts the treads, whether the edge(s) of the treads/risers are exposed, whether the existing tread/riser intersection is now flush and other "details" must be known in order to do that. Get at least 3 bids before you decide on a contractor. Are you talking about labor and material or just the labor for these "bids"?

How much should it cost to convert carpet covered stairs to hardwood stairs? (refinish, railing) - remodeling, decorating, construction, energy use, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, building, rooms - City-Data Forum

Last edited:

I don't know where you live..... if the $45. includes carpet and tack strip removal, wall trim removal and replacement, clean up and off site disposal of all debris, stair and riser prep, install new floor covering to mfr. specs and a 'install warranty' ... it may be reasonable.. are you happy with the previous work he has accomplished? As an aside ... $400. is "scary" too cheap unless he's your brother and you've seen the actual finished product and not just pictures. I'm a General Contractor and if I had no previous experience with that bidder I would not give that price a second look. It's scary cheap. :shock:

ttwt 's post with the construction data may be helpful .. remember to spec laminate wood flooring... different than hardwood.

Thom Paine

Thanks. I'll take it all into consideration and give an update when it's all said and done.

Back
Top Bottom