• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Card-Only Businesses Have Swiped Away Cash-Paying Customers

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.wsj.com/articles/card-only-businesses-have-swiped-away-cash-paying-customers-11547569980

Some say currency is an expensive, risky inconvenience; others contend the card-only movement discriminates against poor people

When I tried to buy a cup of coffee the other day at one of those new upscale food halls, the barista shrank from my $5 bill as if I’d offered a rotten banana. “We don’t accept cash,” he announced, looking offended. “Cards only.”

Yes, at a growing number of New York City shops and cafes—especially joints featuring polished concrete floors and “sustainable” products—it’s impossible to pay with your hard-earned 10s and 20s, much less your nickels, dimes and pennies.
======================================================
The cashless society, at least in major metropolitan areas, seems to have finally arrived.

I carry several credit cards - Amazon, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines Frequent Flyer - and use each for a specific purpose. Amazon is most purchases because I get nice cash back on my frequent Amazon purchases. Marriott is for anything medical. American is autopay for garbage/recycle pickup & Netflix. I carry around $100 in cash which is used primarily to buy lottery tickets - cash only transaction. Using the cards is easier than dealing with cash.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/card-only-businesses-have-swiped-away-cash-paying-customers-11547569980

Some say currency is an expensive, risky inconvenience; others contend the card-only movement discriminates against poor people

When I tried to buy a cup of coffee the other day at one of those new upscale food halls, the barista shrank from my $5 bill as if I’d offered a rotten banana. “We don’t accept cash,” he announced, looking offended. “Cards only.”

Yes, at a growing number of New York City shops and cafes—especially joints featuring polished concrete floors and “sustainable” products—it’s impossible to pay with your hard-earned 10s and 20s, much less your nickels, dimes and pennies.
The cashless society, at least in major metropolitan areas, seems to have finally arrived.

I carry several credit cards - Amazon, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines Frequent Flyer - and use each for a specific purpose. Amazon is most purchases because I get nice cash back on my frequent Amazon purchases. Marriott is for anything medical. American is autopay for garbage/recycle pickup & Netflix. I carry around $100 in cash which is used primarily to buy lottery tickets - cash only transaction. Using the cards is easier than dealing with cash.

This has been coming for some time. I haven’t run into CC only merchants yet, but I am self conscious paying for minor items with a CC. Try to keep a small amount of cash on me. CC balances are paid in full at the billing cycle.

I like to have cash on me but these days I only really use it if I go to bars and don't want to open a tab and forget about my card

haha...well, I'm gonna go old school on this one. 99% of what I do is through a card...but the idea of a cashless society is troubling. Primarily because when you use cards, you don't touch your money. I always keep cash on hand in the event of an emergency. I would hate to see it rendered useless.

Granted, fancy coffees aren't a necessity...but I'd keep an eye on this one. So long as money is required in our society, we ought to be able to touch it, in my opinion.

I thought American USD had to be accepted as a form of payment, yes? I mean, I carry pretty much zero cash where ever I go (and only a limited amount when in foreign countries), preferring to use my credit card for everything. But I thought cash had to be accepted. Probably just a thing I heard and then thought to be true without checking.

I actually hate the other way around, cash only businesses. I don't carry cash, I use a card, and cash only places are annoying. There was a pretty good sandwich shop near where I worked when I lived in New Jersey that I would many times not go to because I hadn't cash on me. But had they taken cards, I would have eaten there far more frequently.

I agree it's more efficient.
The only problem is security. Lot of hacking of the swipe machines at retail stores...and of course the "skimming" of swipe machines at gas pumps.

And a little "obsolete payment method" story: a few weeks ago, I actually saw an old lady ahead of me in a Wal-Mart checkout line pay...with a check. I was actually surprised to see it.

I wonder if it is legal to not accept cash,
That whole "This not is legal tender for all debts public and private" thing.

I wonder if it is legal to not accept cash,
That whole "This not is legal tender for all debts public and private" thing.

Doesn't seem like it's legal to not accept cash, on the other hand there's still places that are cash only!!
Cash is King...:2razz:

This has been coming for some time. I haven’t run into CC only merchants yet, but I am self conscious paying for minor items with a CC. Try to keep a small amount of cash on me. CC balances are paid in full at the billing cycle.

I neglected to mention that all my bards are autopayed in full from my checking account each month. I've gone through the maxed out/payed off cycle a few times in my life & having no balances on my cards is much more pleasant a feeling.

Last edited:

Weird. If your NYC coffee shop accepts Interac it means the Canadian money in my bank account is acceptable but the American cash in hand isn't.

It shouldn't be legal. I mean, if it goes too far, If I can't spend cash in too many places I frequent, I'll stop accepting cash myself. Talk about your slippery slopes...
That and there are places that I would not want to use credit, say a small bait shop, or a food truck.
My Dad always said to be careful in deals with people who keep all of their assets on wheels!

That and there are places that I would not want to use credit, say a small bait shop, or a food truck.
My Dad always said to be careful in deals with people who keep all of their assets on wheels!

More & more these small operations are using card swipers plugged into their smart phones. Why turn away a customer who had no cash?

More & more these small operations are using card swipers plugged into their smart phones. Why turn away a customer who had no cash?
It is fine to accept plastic, but I question if it is advisable to not accept cash.
I am sure it is ok in some areas, but it will limit your customer pool.

You have to be careful using Interac these days too. Our account was raided twice, both times from machines across the other side of the country. The bank made good on it both times but it was a pain in the butt.
My wife does our banking online and we keep very little money in the account with card access. She can transfer into that account online if it looks like we'll need to.
Good advice from your Dad.

I agree it's more efficient.
The only problem is security. Lot of hacking of the swipe machines at retail stores...and of course the "skimming" of swipe machines at gas pumps.

And a little "obsolete payment method" story: a few weeks ago, I actually saw an old lady ahead of me in a Wal-Mart checkout line pay...with a check. I was actually surprised to see it.

I feel insulted (grin). I pay nearly everything by check and for the other places I take sufficient cash with me.

I’m the reverse. With each passing year I rely more and more on cash. There is something about holding the actual money in your hand and giving it to someone else that subconsciously makes me less inclined to impulse purchases. Also, I’m not a fan of all the data that is being collected on me and my buying habits and credit cards just make that easier to do.

Although there are plenty of places where even when I use cash for a small purchase they want information like my phone number. I’m buying a cheap thumbdrive and a Red Bull, why do you need my phone number? No. Maybe I am just becoming an old fart but the older I get the more “off the grid” I want to be.

Back
Top Bottom