• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Car window problems

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Maybe one of y'all might have some advice for me?

I have a 2003 Ford Focus ZTS. I went to roll down all of my windows tonight to get off the condensation so I could see (it'd been raining all day)....all of the windows went down fine, but now the rear window on the driver's side won't go back up. We could shift the glass around, so we thought it had just gotten off of the track, but now whenever we push the button (windows are automatic), it makes a grinding noise, and part of the glass seems to be in the track, but it still won't go up. Is there anything we can do to fix this ourselves, or will I have to take it in? And if I have to take it in, any idea of how much it'll cost?

Well Stace, I would have never guessed you'd have a problem with a ford?:lol: But seriously, if one window won't go back up, you should try having one person forcibly on one side, manulally with both hands grabbing the wiondow, try to put it up, simeltaneously, sit in the car, and if it's power, press the window up button, if it's manual, try rolling it up. It probably won't help the grinding, but It should get it up. If you know somewhat what you are doing, you can fix the grinding noise yourself, of course that'll involve taking the inner-door moldig off, and it's simply a matter of probably a bad ground or a loose wire. If you're not that electrically-inclined, you'll probably have to take it to get fixed professionally. I don't know what your mechanic would charge, but if it's a dealership, watch out!

kal-el said:
Well Stace, I would have never guessed you'd have a problem with a ford?:lol: But seriously, if one window won't go back up, you should try having one person forcibly on one side, manulally with both hands grabbing the wiondow, try to put it up, simeltaneously, sit in the car, and if it's power, press the window up button, if it's manual, try rolling it up. It probably won't help the grinding, but It should get it up. If you know somewhat what you are doing, you can fix the grinding noise yourself, of course that'll involve taking the inner-door moldig off, and it's simply a matter of probably a bad ground or a loose wire. If you're not that electrically-inclined, you'll probably have to take it to get fixed professionally. I don't know what your mechanic would charge, but if it's a dealership, watch out!

We tried that.....we pushed the down button all the way till it didn't make any more noises, and then as I pushed it in the up position, hubby tried to slowly push the window up, too, but it didn't seem to catch.....

I'm a little electrically inclined, but I've never done any electrical work on a car before unless you count replacing fuses, lol. My brother in law MIGHT be able to help, but he wouldn't even be able to come out till next weekend.....grrr.....

Stace said:
We tried that.....we pushed the down button all the way till it didn't make any more noises, and then as I pushed it in the up position, hubby tried to slowly push the window up, too, but it didn't seem to catch.....

Wow, I really don't know what to tell you then...it's always worked for me. If it's off track, you have to go about pushing it up very slowly. I can't emphasize this enough very slowly.

I'm a little electrically inclined, but I've never done any electrical work on a car before unless you count replacing fuses, lol. My brother in law MIGHT be able to help, but he wouldn't even be able to come out till next weekend.....grrr.....

Well maybe you can take it to a gas station that has a service station, or even a place like Pep boys, or the like. It shouldn't be costly at all to fix, but if it's the labor that'll sock ya.

Stace said:

If you have someone who can actually take the panel off the door, you could get a good look at the problem. Even if you cannot fix the problem yourself, at least you will know the extent of the damage, and will not be overcharged for the repairs, i.e motor, track, or some other obstruction. Unfortunately these cars are designed as such, that you most often need new fasteners after removing the panel, so be prepared for those costs. My friend is a mechanic, and I have learned by watching him for years in his garage, but it's very difficult to help you from where we sit, sorry, hope that helps.;)

Aw, I appreciate y'all trying to help me!! I tried to play with it a little more this morning, and I think I've determined that the motor is shot. I was getting it to cooperate with me a bit in the whole pushing thing, but the motor just won't go all the way up, so it ends up falling back down. I found a local place while searching online last night that will give me a free quote, I filled out a form right there on their website, so hopefully I'll hear back on that early tomorrow. They'll even come right here to my house to fix it, at no extra charge, which would be fabulous, because I have enough problems seeing out that side of the car (I'm almost blind in my left eye, so I have to actually turn my head a little) without a trash bag blocking my view!! And the good news is....I just found out that my credit card company has nearly doubled my credit limit, so I can just charge the repairs on there, even if it costs $500 or so....I don't want to do that, as we already have a lot of debt on that card (it's our card with the highest limit as it is!), but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

But now I can also get my front rotor fixed....it's been messed up for over a year now, from the last time I got the brakes changed....they turned my rotor, and ever since my car has been making a funny noise on the right hand side when I brake. I know the brakes themselves are fine, but somehow, the dealership (where I had the work done, no less) couldn't figure out what the problem was, even after we took it back four times....morons. Common sense would say that if the brake pads are fine, and in the proper place, you check the other work you did, but I guess that was asking too much. I know I'm gonna be shelling out nearly $200 for that one, but with the baby on the way and all, I need to get that fixed finally because I know it's a safety hazard.

Again, thank you guys for trying to help. I know it's hard to help diagnose a problem like that when you're not here and you can't see/hear for yourself, but you guys at least tried and I really do appreciate it!!

Stace said:
Aw, I appreciate y'all trying to help me!! I tried to play with it a little more this morning, and I think I've determined that the motor is shot. I was getting it to cooperate with me a bit in the whole pushing thing, but the motor just won't go all the way up, so it ends up falling back down. I found a local place while searching online last night that will give me a free quote, I filled out a form right there on their website, so hopefully I'll hear back on that early tomorrow. They'll even come right here to my house to fix it, at no extra charge, which would be fabulous, because I have enough problems seeing out that side of the car (I'm almost blind in my left eye, so I have to actually turn my head a little) without a trash bag blocking my view!! And the good news is....I just found out that my credit card company has nearly doubled my credit limit, so I can just charge the repairs on there, even if it costs $500 or so....I don't want to do that, as we already have a lot of debt on that card (it's our card with the highest limit as it is!), but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

But now I can also get my front rotor fixed....it's been messed up for over a year now, from the last time I got the brakes changed....they turned my rotor, and ever since my car has been making a funny noise on the right hand side when I brake. I know the brakes themselves are fine, but somehow, the dealership (where I had the work done, no less) couldn't figure out what the problem was, even after we took it back four times....morons. Common sense would say that if the brake pads are fine, and in the proper place, you check the other work you did, but I guess that was asking too much. I know I'm gonna be shelling out nearly $200 for that one, but with the baby on the way and all, I need to get that fixed finally because I know it's a safety hazard.

Again, thank you guys for trying to help. I know it's hard to help diagnose a problem like that when you're not here and you can't see/hear for yourself, but you guys at least tried and I really do appreciate it!!

Yes, do get those brakes fixed, you and the baby are the most important thing in all of this. If you need any help in expenses, I would consider it a baby shower gift, let me know.;)

Stace said:

You said the brake pads themselves are fine? Cause most have a pad wear indicator on them, that when they get worn down, will make a screaching noise when applying the brakes. A noise could be almost anything, from your caliper to your bearings. You said your rotors were turned, I gather that means they were resurfaced? Most dealers don't refinish new rotors unless they exceed thickness or thiness specifications. Don't worry, that doesn't happen alot. That garage where you had the work done sounds rather incompetent, if it were me, I would remove the brake pads and caliper on the right side, and carefully place all that back again, and see if this noise persists. If it does, I would take it back to the garage and bitch like crazy. Lie and tell them it pulls to the right side, and it started a week after their garage did the work.

kal-el said:
You said the brake pads themselves are fine? Cause most have a pad wear indicator on them, that when they get worn down, will make a screaching noise when applying the brakes. A noise could be almost anything, from your caliper to your bearings. You said your rotors were turned, I gather that means they were resurfaced? Most dealers don't refinish new rotors unless they exceed thickness or thiness specifications. Don't worry, that doesn't happen alot. That garage where you had the work done sounds rather incompetent, if it were me, I would remove the brake pads and caliper on the right side, and carefully place all that back again, and see if this noise persists. If it does, I would take it back to the garage and bitch like crazy. Lie and tell them it pulls to the right side, and it started a week after their garage did the work.

I've had the brake pad removed and put back on.....this all happened in September of 2004, so there's no way I can take it back to the dealer now (I had the work done at the dealership where I bought the car)...besides, I don't even live in the same town now!! I'm just gonna take it to Pep Boys and have them take a peek, we've always received stellar service from them, so I know they'll take care of me. :mrgreen:

Stace said:
I've had the brake pad removed and put back on.....this all happened in September of 2004, so there's no way I can take it back to the dealer now (I had the work done at the dealership where I bought the car)...besides, I don't even live in the same town now!! I'm just gonna take it to Pep Boys and have them take a peek, we've always received stellar service from them, so I know they'll take care of me. :mrgreen:

Yea, that would be pretty shady of you to go the dealer and complain about work that was done in 2004. Yea, Pep Boys is a pretty good place, and inexpensive too. They should be able to diagnose the problem.

I assume you don't have power windows, since you 'roll' them up & down...

In either case, sounds like it's off track or the window itself has come loose from the seat.

A manual window is a relatively cheap fix to reset. $70?
Power window, I dunno... a little more. Depending on if its mechanical or electrical.

fooligan said:
I assume you don't have power windows, since you 'roll' them up & down...

In either case, sounds like it's off track or the window itself has come loose from the seat.

A manual window is a relatively cheap fix to reset. $70?
Power window, I dunno... a little more. Depending on if its mechanical or electrical.

lol....I stated in the first post that the windows are automatic/power. I've never used a term other than "roll" when talking about car windows going up and down. :2razz:

I ended up having to take it into a dealership, only place I ended up being able to find that could do the work right away....It turned out to be a bad regulator in the motor? Cost me $240.....

I also had them check the brake thing I mentioned...they tried to tell me that the noise is coming from the back brakes. I'm sorry, but I'm not so hard of hearing that I can't tell where a noise is coming from. The guy said the brakes and all themselves are fine though, and said that he could put some weights on the back brakes so they wouldn't squeal, but since I KNOW that the noise isn't coming from the back, I declined...that would have cost me another $150. My guess is that they weren't able to recreate the noise that I'm talking about...it doesn't do it all the time.

Guess I'll just take it to Pep Boys one of these days for that problem...probably after we get our taxes back or something. :lol:

Stace said:
lol....I stated in the first post that the windows are automatic/power. I've never used a term other than "roll" when talking about car windows going up and down. :2razz:

Cost me $240.....

Ouch... sorry I missed that first part :/

I also had them check the brake thing I mentioned...they tried to tell me that the noise is coming from the back brakes. I'm sorry, but I'm not so hard of hearing that I can't tell where a noise is coming from. The guy said the brakes and all themselves are fine though

My ex's Windstar had new brakes and still made noise (not a squeal, but a grinding)... I told her it would work itself out, and it did.

Good luck!

fooligan said:
Ouch... sorry I missed that first part :/

My ex's Windstar had new brakes and still made noise (not a squeal, but a grinding)... I told her it would work itself out, and it did.

Good luck!

Mine's not really a sqeauling noise...or grinding...it's kind of a clunking noise. It started when I had the brakes changed, and they turned my rotors as well, which leads me to suspect the rotor, since the brakes are absolutely fine. We took the car back to the dealership where I had the brake work done three or four times, but they could never seem to find anything wrong with it...:roll: I've been living with this noise for 15 months now....it's definitely not going to work itself out!!!

But isn't that how it always happens? You take your vehicle in for work of some kind, but they can never seem to recreate it, and therefore, can't fix it....unless, of course, it's something that's blatantly not working, i.e. my window, or something that they just happen to find all on their own that will only cost you an arm and a leg to get fixed....even though it's really nothing too serious and you've probably had the "problem" for awhile anyway. :doh

Stace said:
Mine's not really a sqeauling noise...or grinding...it's kind of a clunking noise. It started when I had the brakes changed, and they turned my rotors as well, which leads me to suspect the rotor

Or spindles... or calipers or struts :confused:

lol. Yeah... I miss the good ol' days, fixing everything from clutches to carberators with my trusty Craftsman SAE socket set. Metrics really don't compute, still.

Stace said:
Maybe one of y'all might have some advice for me?

First of all. Don't listen to Kal-el. A loose wire or bad ground making a grinding noise? I can't believe he posted that.

Second. Listen to me. Go to and auto parts store and buy a Chilton's or Haynes repair manual for your car. From now on I will refer to it as the Bible. This will not help you with your window. But it will help with the brakes. Get on the net and see if you can find a diagram of the window track/motor/whatever assembly and post the link here. Are your rear brakes disk or drum? I have no idea what that guy was talking about with the weights. If I were you I would not try to do this yourself. But we can diagnose the problem and send you off to the shop and get the best price.

Third. Listen to me. I've yet to run into something I could not install, repair, or, if needed, destroy.

Get the manual. One night when we are both online I'll walk you through it.

And BTW. Rotors are dirt cheap. If they need turning, just buy new.

Get the manual. About 15$.

Back
Top Bottom