• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Car Payments

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hi all,

I ended up making a car purchase loan for 5 years at $265.mo. If I wanted to reduce the loan life to 4 years, how many extra payments per year will I have to make?
What would be considered a decent APR for car loans these days?

Hi all,

I ended up making a car purchase loan for 5 years at $265.mo. If I wanted to reduce the loan life to 4 years, how many extra payments per year will I have to make?

need any three of these four:
amount financed
interest rate
payment amount
number of payments

the two items in bold font are known
since you want to solve for revised payment amount
the other two aspects of the financed deal need to be made known

note: interest rate will be impacted by your credit score; assume it will be what you now have for your five-year note

Hi all,

There are 12 payments in the fifth year. Divide that into 4 years and you need to make 3 extra payments each year.

Car loans are all over the place. I have see advertising for no interest. They are clearly making it up somewhere else. You really need to look at the over all deal. There are almost as many gimmicks in car loans as there are different stump speeches from politicians.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Depending on your credit rating and location, you can get pretty low on finance costs. What vehicle did you buy?

Hi all,

Would have been much easier and more accurate if you had said I purchased a car for x dollars on a 5 year loan. my payment is 265.00/mo and my interest rate is y%.

Since I don't know how much the loan was for or your current interest rate I have to guess which makes it a bit less accurate.
However, you can take a year, maybe more, off the loan by paying 65$ more per month. so pay 330$ and you will cut 12 to 14 months off the loan depending on your current interest rate.

Hi all,

12×265/(4×12)=66,5 . That is not a Presen Value calculation, but rates are low and shouldn't change it much. There might be administrative costs attached to the switch.

There are 12 payments in the fifth year. Divide that into 4 years and you need to make 3 extra payments each year.

Car loans are all over the place. I have see advertising for no interest. They are clearly making it up somewhere else. You really need to look at the over all deal. There are almost as many gimmicks in car loans as there are different stump speeches from politicians.

What he said and Ill add this, best car rates most of time are credit unions. For example when i bought my nissan rogue they were offering 1500 rebate ,I took the rebate and got 0.7 interest rate from my cred it union

Back
Top Bottom